Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Streams All 5 Seasons of Sailor Moon Anime in Canada on TubiTV


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ambimunch



Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Posts: 2012
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:44 pm Reply with quote
And nobody really cared. Seriously, this is pathetic. Very late and not even a mainstream platform.

Get Sailor Moon on YTV, that channel has a greater history with the show than any channel in the US. Also, the YTV blog recently had a poll about "which sailor you are" based on a quiz - what a giant c0ck-tease. Rather than the show, we get polls online, fantastic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nagpo



Joined: 30 Dec 2015
Posts: 133
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:14 pm Reply with quote
call me when they give it a proper blu-ray/dvd release.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fuff



Joined: 11 Mar 2011
Posts: 53
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
And nobody really cared. Seriously, this is pathetic. Very late and not even a mainstream platform.

Get Sailor Moon on YTV, that channel has a greater history with the show than any channel in the US. Also, the YTV blog recently had a poll about "which sailor you are" based on a quiz - what a giant c0ck-tease. Rather than the show, we get polls online, fantastic.

ya ytv doesnt show any anime anymore...it used to be every fridays...and now they dont even have one anime..which is sad instead they have shitty shows like almost naked animals and numb chucks...like wtf?!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
everydaygamer



Joined: 10 Jul 2009
Posts: 565
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:36 am Reply with quote
fuff wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
And nobody really cared. Seriously, this is pathetic. Very late and not even a mainstream platform.

Get Sailor Moon on YTV, that channel has a greater history with the show than any channel in the US. Also, the YTV blog recently had a poll about "which sailor you are" based on a quiz - what a giant c0ck-tease. Rather than the show, we get polls online, fantastic.

ya ytv doesnt show any anime anymore...it used to be every fridays...and now they dont even have one anime..which is sad instead they have shitty shows like almost naked animals and numb chucks...like wtf?!


Well what do you expect? YTV got most it's shows from Nick and with the fall of Nick, YTV got dragged down along with it. I think TMNT is the last good show Nick has at this point.

YTV used to show alot of the kids anime like Pokemon but those have moved over to Teletoon in recent years for some reason.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fuff



Joined: 11 Mar 2011
Posts: 53
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:14 am Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
fuff wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
And nobody really cared. Seriously, this is pathetic. Very late and not even a mainstream platform.

Get Sailor Moon on YTV, that channel has a greater history with the show than any channel in the US. Also, the YTV blog recently had a poll about "which sailor you are" based on a quiz - what a giant c0ck-tease. Rather than the show, we get polls online, fantastic.

ya ytv doesnt show any anime anymore...it used to be every fridays...and now they dont even have one anime..which is sad instead they have shitty shows like almost naked animals and numb chucks...like wtf?!


Well what do you expect? YTV got most it's shows from Nick and with the fall of Nick, YTV got dragged down along with it. I think TMNT is the last good show Nick has at this point.

YTV used to show alot of the kids anime like Pokemon but those have moved over to Teletoon in recent years for some reason.

well they can always bring back the old animes they used to have, i mean have the program is based on re-runs anyway...like the same old spongebob eps, sidekick, etc like they barely have anything new...so might as well just get the old stuff back
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ambimunch



Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Posts: 2012
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
To back up what you guys are discussing:

Yeah, YTV had a giant company wide change in strategy and audience. From around 2009/2010 they were restructuring their programming to resemble that of a family channel - and as a result downsized on cartoons (anime being completely wiped from the schedule).

However, with the recent resurgence of anime culture in the West, or maybe an anime boom that we've been having, thanks to the likes of AoT, One Punch Man, Sailor Moon license rescue by Viz, and Funimation's treatment of One Piece - anime is not a niche genre that it was 20 years ago.

YTV could easily have a 2h block dedicated to anime once a week, that's only 4 shows for God's sake. Why re-invent the wheel? Just show popular anime, copy what Toonami is doing, look at their ratings and pick the shows that work. A simple line-up with Sailor Moon, InuYasha, Gundam IBO, and One Punch man will go a long way. And this is me just naming random shows.

Hell, just show sailor moon at like 6pm on Fridays or Saturdays, people will watch that shit. Some past fans from the 90s who watched it back then now have kids of their own. The nostalgia will bring in old fans and their kids.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BIN-F



Joined: 06 Jul 2016
Posts: 7
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Didn't YTV aired GITS: Stand Alone Complex at Midnight at one point?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ambimunch



Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Posts: 2012
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
BIN-F wrote:
Didn't YTV aired GITS: Stand Alone Complex at Midnight at one point?


Yes. Some notable late night shows they had:

InuYasha
GITS SAC
Gundam Seed/Destiny
FMA 2003
Naruto
Bleach
Eureka Seven
Escaflowne
Death Note
Zatch Bell
.hack SIGN
Witch Hunter Robin
Case Closed (aka Detective Conan)




Some non late night notable shows:

Shaman King
Sailor Moon
Tokyo Mew Mew
One Piece
Avatar (not anime but w/e)
Pokemon/Yugioh/Beyblade (in other words toy anime)
MÄR
DBZ
Ghibli Films
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BIN-F



Joined: 06 Jul 2016
Posts: 7
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
BIN-F wrote:
Didn't YTV aired GITS: Stand Alone Complex at Midnight at one point?


Yes. Some notable late night shows they had:

InuYasha
GITS SAC
Gundam Seed/Destiny
FMA 2003
Naruto
Bleach
Eureka Seven
Escaflowne
Death Note
Zatch Bell
.hack SIGN
Witch Hunter Robin
Case Closed (aka Detective Conan)




Some non late night notable shows:

Shaman King
Sailor Moon
Tokyo Mew Mew
One Piece
Avatar (not anime but w/e)
Pokemon/Yugioh/Beyblade (in other words toy anime)
MÄR
DBZ
Ghibli Films




Were any of them censored?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tenchi



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 4278
Location: Ottawa... now I'm an ex-Anglo Montrealer.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I've never even heard of TubiTV... whatever it is, it doesn't seem to have the penetration of Canada's two main Netflix competitors, CraveTV or Shomi, plus, of course, Netflix Canada itself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeoStrayCat



Joined: 14 Sep 2011
Posts: 504
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:19 pm Reply with quote
BIN-F wrote:
Were any of them censored?

If you mean from the list, probably only some of the kids demograpic shows if its the same ones from the US probably. (The non-late night ones for example)

Also, that list is missing Pretty Cure, cause I did hear and remember YTV aired that back in the day. 100% faithfully, but besides name changes to adapt it "Ace Attorney" style.

But yes, it had to take so long for Can. to get their Classic SM fix online, besides getting it on home video. >.>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ambimunch



Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Posts: 2012
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
BIN-F wrote:
Were any of them censored?

Very minor. As apposed to the US giving goons in Gundam SEED green guns, the Canadian broadcast did no such thing. FMA and Death Note were practically uncensored. In my opinion YTV did a better job than CN - less was censored.

Although I do remember them skipping episode 10 of SAC (Jungle Cruise) where the woman gets skinned alive, only to air it a few months later after people complained lol.

NeoStrayCat wrote:
Also, that list is missing Pretty Cure, cause I did hear and remember YTV aired that back in the day. 100% faithfully, but besides name changes to adapt it "Ace Attorney" style

Non notable to me, or anyone pretty much Laughing
Heck, even Hamtaro was more notable!

But if we're just listing all anime from YTV, these come to mind too (although I might have forgotten some):

Battle B-Daman
Dinasaur King
SD Gundam Force (only with Rogers on Demand)
Digimon
Blue Dragon
Duel Masters
Medabots
Zoids Zero
Samurai Pizza Cats
D.I.C.E.
That Jackie Chan cartoon (not anime, but it was epic!)
Sonic X
Monster Rancher
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pepperidge



Joined: 13 Sep 2003
Posts: 1094
Location: British Columbia, Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
TubiTV is not a major service, but it's certainly functional. Chromecast is much more stable than on a lot of apps, and it's been very easy to get through various episodes that way. I expect that Sailor Moon will be a draw for them, so hopefully we'll see more Viz Media titles soon.

As for broadcast, I can't see YTV airing anime anytime soon given the way their focus has shifted. However, you guys may want to note that the new channel Family CHRGD is currently airing the Iron Man anime from a few years ago, completely uncut at that. Might be worth you time to drop them an e-mail to let them know that you want to see more.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ambimunch



Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Posts: 2012
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
TubiTV is not a major service, but it's certainly functional. Chromecast is much more stable than on a lot of apps, and it's been very easy to get through various episodes that way. I expect that Sailor Moon will be a draw for them, so hopefully we'll see more Viz Media titles soon.

As for broadcast, I can't see YTV airing anime anytime soon given the way their focus has shifted. However, you guys may want to note that the new channel Family CHRGD is currently airing the Iron Man anime from a few years ago, completely uncut at that. Might be worth you time to drop them an e-mail to let them know that you want to see more.


That you Jesse? What're you doing here, go make a new article for sittingonanatomicbomb - been a while since you wrote anything for your blog Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pepperidge



Joined: 13 Sep 2003
Posts: 1094
Location: British Columbia, Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:
TubiTV is not a major service, but it's certainly functional. Chromecast is much more stable than on a lot of apps, and it's been very easy to get through various episodes that way. I expect that Sailor Moon will be a draw for them, so hopefully we'll see more Viz Media titles soon.

As for broadcast, I can't see YTV airing anime anytime soon given the way their focus has shifted. However, you guys may want to note that the new channel Family CHRGD is currently airing the Iron Man anime from a few years ago, completely uncut at that. Might be worth you time to drop them an e-mail to let them know that you want to see more.


That you Jesse? What're you doing here, go make a new article for sittingonanatomicbomb - been a while since you wrote anything for your blog Wink


Honestly, that blog is more or less retired. I trust you've been following my podcast, though?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group