• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Streams All 5 Seasons of Sailor Moon Anime in Canada on TubiTV

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:44 pm Reply with quote
And nobody really cared. Seriously, this is pathetic. Very late and not even a mainstream platform.

Get Sailor Moon on YTV, that channel has a greater history with the show than any channel in the US. Also, the YTV blog recently had a poll about "which sailor you are" based on a quiz - what a giant c0ck-tease. Rather than the show, we get polls online, fantastic.
nagpo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:14 pm Reply with quote
call me when they give it a proper blu-ray/dvd release.
fuff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
And nobody really cared. Seriously, this is pathetic. Very late and not even a mainstream platform.

Get Sailor Moon on YTV, that channel has a greater history with the show than any channel in the US. Also, the YTV blog recently had a poll about "which sailor you are" based on a quiz - what a giant c0ck-tease. Rather than the show, we get polls online, fantastic.

ya ytv doesnt show any anime anymore...it used to be every fridays...and now they dont even have one anime..which is sad instead they have shitty shows like almost naked animals and numb chucks...like wtf?!
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:36 am Reply with quote
fuff wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

ya ytv doesnt show any anime anymore...it used to be every fridays...and now they dont even have one anime..which is sad instead they have shitty shows like almost naked animals and numb chucks...like wtf?!

Well what do you expect? YTV got most it's shows from Nick and with the fall of Nick, YTV got dragged down along with it. I think TMNT is the last good show Nick has at this point.

YTV used to show alot of the kids anime like Pokemon but those have moved over to Teletoon in recent years for some reason.
fuff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:14 am Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
fuff wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

Well what do you expect? YTV got most it's shows from Nick and with the fall of Nick, YTV got dragged down along with it. I think TMNT is the last good show Nick has at this point.

YTV used to show alot of the kids anime like Pokemon but those have moved over to Teletoon in recent years for some reason.

well they can always bring back the old animes they used to have, i mean have the program is based on re-runs anyway...like the same old spongebob eps, sidekick, etc like they barely have anything new...so might as well just get the old stuff back
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
To back up what you guys are discussing:

Yeah, YTV had a giant company wide change in strategy and audience. From around 2009/2010 they were restructuring their programming to resemble that of a family channel - and as a result downsized on cartoons (anime being completely wiped from the schedule).

However, with the recent resurgence of anime culture in the West, or maybe an anime boom that we've been having, thanks to the likes of AoT, One Punch Man, Sailor Moon license rescue by Viz, and Funimation's treatment of One Piece - anime is not a niche genre that it was 20 years ago.

YTV could easily have a 2h block dedicated to anime once a week, that's only 4 shows for God's sake. Why re-invent the wheel? Just show popular anime, copy what Toonami is doing, look at their ratings and pick the shows that work. A simple line-up with Sailor Moon, InuYasha, Gundam IBO, and One Punch man will go a long way. And this is me just naming random shows.

Hell, just show sailor moon at like 6pm on Fridays or Saturdays, people will watch that shit. Some past fans from the 90s who watched it back then now have kids of their own. The nostalgia will bring in old fans and their kids.
BIN-F

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Didn't YTV aired GITS: Stand Alone Complex at Midnight at one point?
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
BIN-F wrote:

Yes. Some notable late night shows they had:

InuYasha
GITS SAC
Gundam Seed/Destiny
FMA 2003
Naruto
Bleach
Eureka Seven
Escaflowne
Death Note
Zatch Bell
.hack SIGN
Witch Hunter Robin
Case Closed (aka Detective Conan)

Some non late night notable shows:

Shaman King
Sailor Moon
Tokyo Mew Mew
One Piece
Pokemon/Yugioh/Beyblade (in other words toy anime)
MÄR
DBZ
Ghibli Films
BIN-F

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
BIN-F wrote:

Yes. Some notable late night shows they had:

InuYasha
GITS SAC
Gundam Seed/Destiny
FMA 2003
Naruto
Bleach
Eureka Seven
Escaflowne
Death Note
Zatch Bell
.hack SIGN
Witch Hunter Robin
Case Closed (aka Detective Conan)

Some non late night notable shows:

Shaman King
Sailor Moon
Tokyo Mew Mew
One Piece
Pokemon/Yugioh/Beyblade (in other words toy anime)
MÄR
DBZ
Ghibli Films

Were any of them censored?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I've never even heard of TubiTV... whatever it is, it doesn't seem to have the penetration of Canada's two main Netflix competitors, CraveTV or Shomi, plus, of course, Netflix Canada itself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:19 pm Reply with quote
BIN-F wrote:

If you mean from the list, probably only some of the kids demograpic shows if its the same ones from the US probably. (The non-late night ones for example)

Also, that list is missing Pretty Cure, cause I did hear and remember YTV aired that back in the day. 100% faithfully, but besides name changes to adapt it "Ace Attorney" style.

But yes, it had to take so long for Can. to get their Classic SM fix online, besides getting it on home video. >.>
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
BIN-F wrote:

Very minor. As apposed to the US giving goons in Gundam SEED green guns, the Canadian broadcast did no such thing. FMA and Death Note were practically uncensored. In my opinion YTV did a better job than CN - less was censored.

Although I do remember them skipping episode 10 of SAC (Jungle Cruise) where the woman gets skinned alive, only to air it a few months later after people complained lol.

NeoStrayCat wrote:
Also, that list is missing Pretty Cure, cause I did hear and remember YTV aired that back in the day. 100% faithfully, but besides name changes to adapt it "Ace Attorney" style

Non notable to me, or anyone pretty much Laughing
Heck, even Hamtaro was more notable!

But if we're just listing all anime from YTV, these come to mind too (although I might have forgotten some):

Battle B-Daman
Dinasaur King
SD Gundam Force (only with Rogers on Demand)
Digimon
Blue Dragon
Duel Masters
Medabots
Zoids Zero
Samurai Pizza Cats
D.I.C.E.
That Jackie Chan cartoon (not anime, but it was epic!)
Sonic X
Monster Rancher
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
TubiTV is not a major service, but it's certainly functional. Chromecast is much more stable than on a lot of apps, and it's been very easy to get through various episodes that way. I expect that Sailor Moon will be a draw for them, so hopefully we'll see more Viz Media titles soon.

As for broadcast, I can't see YTV airing anime anytime soon given the way their focus has shifted. However, you guys may want to note that the new channel Family CHRGD is currently airing the Iron Man anime from a few years ago, completely uncut at that. Might be worth you time to drop them an e-mail to let them know that you want to see more.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
TubiTV is not a major service, but it's certainly functional. Chromecast is much more stable than on a lot of apps, and it's been very easy to get through various episodes that way. I expect that Sailor Moon will be a draw for them, so hopefully we'll see more Viz Media titles soon.

As for broadcast, I can't see YTV airing anime anytime soon given the way their focus has shifted. However, you guys may want to note that the new channel Family CHRGD is currently airing the Iron Man anime from a few years ago, completely uncut at that. Might be worth you time to drop them an e-mail to let them know that you want to see more.

That you Jesse? What're you doing here, go make a new article for sittingonanatomicbomb - been a while since you wrote anything for your blog Wink
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:

That you Jesse? What're you doing here, go make a new article for sittingonanatomicbomb - been a while since you wrote anything for your blog Wink

Honestly, that blog is more or less retired. I trust you've been following my podcast, though?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2