• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Magical Girl Raising Project (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote

Magical Girl Raising Project (TV)

Genres: action, magic
Themes: magical girl, survival game

Plot Summary: A social game called The Magical Girl Raising Project allows one in tens of thousands of people to be a "magical girl" — possessing extraordinary physical capabilities and looks, as well as special magical powers that set them apart from the rest of the human race. But one day, in a district containing 16 magical girls, the administration announces that it must halve the number of magical girls to solve the problem of magical energy. At first, the 16 magical girls race to collect more "magical candy" than their competitors, but the rules quickly become twisted, and it quickly becomes a murderous battle for survival among them.
----------------------------------

Also known as "Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku". It's based on the light novel of the same name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Well that was more lighthearted than I had anticipated except the the first few minutes.

We get a little background story too and the main girl always wanted to be a magical girl. Character designs imo looks kinda meh, nothing impressive there although the episode does set up the season somewhat well with the game gimmicks.

I think Koyuki is cute as a button though, especially her in-game avatar. The game itself...felt very cartoony. The music is nice though so far imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
That little prologue or whatever was pretty damn lame. Once again, another example is given as to why prologues are looked down on in novels. But, aside from that, pretty neat episode. Characters are nice and don't feel too stereotypical, and there were some funny moments ( that cat messed her up quick Anime hyper). So yes, sticking with this one. Can't wait for the inevitable gore! Just hope there's not too many of those large grins as they murder someone.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
This will be fun, it has too much of what I enjoy already, so this will be among the series I watch this season.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Sooo if the main love interest is a guy who turns into a girl, does this make it half yuri? Laughing
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote
Even though it's a bit cliched, I'm a big magical girl fan, so I enjoyed this a lot. I appreciated they seem to be getting to the dark stuff pretty quickly instead of dragging out the faux cuteness. The main character is fairly typical magical girl heroine fair but I did enjoy her friend Sou and I'm curious to see what they'll do with him.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The main character is fairly typical magical girl heroine fair but I did enjoy her friend Sou and I'm curious to see what they'll do with him.

Odds are in favor of such an "intriguing character" being an early victim to this announced "cut back on Magical Girls".
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Pretty big fan of Madoka and Daybreak Illusion, so I am totally on board with this. The open to a bloody massacre did make it hard to lower my guard for the rest of the episode, I do think that it distracted a bit to cuter side of the rest of the episode, but in another respect I do like that it is not pretending, and is giving warning. Hmm, I seem to remember that I think Re:Zero also opened with reference to a horrible event that would happen later, but that was much shorter, and I think was maybe something this could have done. But it also had something I have wanted for real for a while, a male magical girl, I actually predicated that when the episode brought up that he liked magical girls that he would also show up as one, so it was great. It is kind of one of the barriers of the genre that it bars males, so this feels like a good step.

It is easy to accuse that this will be a "rip off" of Madoka in terms of being a dark magical girl anime, but I think that it is an unfair assessment. The other two large examples that come to my mind have been Daybreak Illusion and Yuki Yuna and I think they both came into their own. Actually feels like a couple steps that might be taken, either this will be "just another dark magical girl anime", or maybe it is aware of the trend and is taking an even bigger chance. So far I am in, it is a genre I like, the characters and setting seem great, so I can see myself following this.

Although now I am getting worried thinking that I am jinxing it.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It is easy to accuse that this will be a "rip off" of Madoka in terms of being a dark magical girl anime, but I think that it is an unfair assessment.

I checked the release date of the LN, there is no question that at the very minimum MGRP was inspired by Madoka, however at the very least the story so far feels different enough in presentation that it is not a simple knock off.
That said, this episode made me think that THIS LN series may have been more responsible in inspiring the concepts for Selector Wixoss than even the earlier release of Madoka.

Regardless of derivatives, I am but a simple viewer looking for entertainment.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Odds are in favor of such an "intriguing character" being an early victim to this announced "cut back on Magical Girls".

Yeah, probably. These kinds of titles thrive on yuri bait so having a guy, even if he can turn into a girl, under minds that. Plus ninja girl is clearly being set up as the brooding girl the pure hearted protagonist befriends and will have the most "staring longingly into each other eyes" bits.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:37 am Reply with quote
Sooooooo... I guess "cutting back on magical girls" doesn't mean getting laid off with a nice retirement banquet, eh? I tells ya, I'm glad anime has pulled the lid off the downside of being a magical girl otherwise I might have blundered into some kind of dodgy contract myself...
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
~Loved it~. This is probably going to be the best series this year....at least magical girl one because it's not getting much competition from the other titles. lol

Vaisaga wrote:
FenixFiesta wrote:

Yeah, probably. These kinds of titles thrive on yuri bait so having a guy, even if he can turn into a girl, under minds that. Plus ninja girl is clearly being set up as the brooding girl the pure hearted protagonist befriends and will have the most "staring longingly into each other eyes" bits.

Do you have any idea how PISSED I'll be if that happens? Way to flush originality down the toilet.

DON'T DO IT, SHOW. Dammit, I really hope you guys are wrong! Screw yuri bait, on that last note.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:21 am Reply with quote
Is episode two being delayed this week for some reason? Episode one was out already by this time but I'm still not seeing any new episode out and Wiikipedia only lists episode two as TBA.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:18 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
Is episode two being delayed this week for some reason? Episode one was out already by this time but I'm still not seeing any new episode out and Wiikipedia only lists episode two as TBA.

Perhaps the show is being "meta" due to the nature that there is a flood of magical girl themed shows this season of releases.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Well that was unnecessarily cruel. Maybe the admins want to silence anyone who might blab about the system but surely they could erase their memories.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 19