• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Previews Dubs for Escaflowne TV Series, Film in Videos

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I never watched the original series, but the trailer looked really good. I'll probably pick this one up. They messed up on the date though. "Available Now"? Nice one, Funimation.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Not particularly happy with the way Funimation promoted this Kickstarter. They acted like several of the features for the premium backers were exclusive that are now standard for regular preorders. Never backing a Funimation Kickstarter again. Still looking forward to the release but their deceptive marketing has left a sour taste in my mouth.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
In before people start declaring how "horrible" the Funimation dub of Escaflowne is and how it's "worse than the Ocean dub" and that the maligned Ocean dub suddenly isn't so bad anymore and now it's perfect incarnate and the other is trash….

Come on, you know it's gonna happen no matter what. I've seen it all the time with Anime that have gotten new dubs. Personally, I thought the newer dub of Escaflowne sounded promising, although I need to see more of it to have a good judgment on it. But so far it seems fine to me.
Levonr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite anime, while I've seen the show many times(mostly subbed) I can't wait to watch this in a new way with the FUNimation dub and 5.1 audio.
DrApplebox

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Props to the editors of Funi's trailers. They've done great work in recent years.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
In before people start declaring how "horrible" the Funimation dub of Escaflowne is and how it's "worse than the Ocean dub" and that the maligned Ocean dub suddenly isn't so bad anymore and now it's perfect incarnate and the other is trash….

Come on, you know it's gonna happen no matter what. I've seen it all the time with Anime that have gotten new dubs. Personally, I thought the newer dub of Escaflowne sounded promising, although I need to see more of it to have a good judgment on it. But so far it seems fine to me.

... Saves me the trouble of saying what you said I was going to say... The first part, not the "hey, it's Vic Mignogna playing a Vic Mignogna character" part.

I only saw the Vision of Escaflowne once but I remember Hitomi being more scared and flustered than bored. The part that always stuck with me was Hitomi's repeated mantra/opening that what she and we were seeing was real and not a vision.

It's there... the trailer even starts with it... but why does she sound so bored?

The only good news is that this should make it easier to get the original set.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Its a competent sounding dub but its likely be an average dub at best judging from Sonny Straits previous track record as an ADR Director of late. I'm a casual fan of Caitlin Glass and Aaron Dismuke both are solid actors but throwing some fresh promising talent into the lead roles would of been more appealing for me then hearing Caitlin and Aaron in lead roles for the millionth time but what's done is done. It looks I'll be continuing to seek out a new dub that's on par with Tokyo Ghoul as of yet I've found nothing that's thrown me into the same excited state of mentality when I devoured that dub earlier in the year. The casting list for Overlord looks promising tho I need to hear a trailer to really see if that dub will be worth investing my time into we shall see.
anddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I never watched the dub of Escaflowne, but I adored both the original and the movie (despite the movie being unpopular with fans) in Japanese and these trailers gave me goosebumps!! I'll definitely have to pick them up!
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:43 pm Reply with quote
The original dubs weren't bad at all, or maybe I'm just being nostalgic. Funi's dubs sound competent though
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Cant say enough about the trailer.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:

At the very worst the Ocean dub is at least better than a lot of other dubs from that time, including a lot of Oceans other dubs. At best it is a very good dub, most of the characters fit their roles and the dub script while it does cause plotholes(or so I've heard) it is a fine script. I agree that some people will unfairly condemn it before it's, but on the flip side people will also defend it before it is out.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I was just wowed by how amazing everything looked on Blu-Ray quality video, but the English dub seems pretty decent. I've never been a fan of Caitlin Glass, but she seems to do well enough and whoever's doing Dornkirk, at least, is good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Maybe I was just wowed by how amazing everything looked on Blu-Ray quality video, but the English dub seems pretty decent. I've never been a fan of Caitlin Glass, but she seems to do well enough and whoever's doing Dornkirk, at least, is good.

Dornkirk is played by Jeremy Schwartz.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I've got the Funi dub on order, via Anime Limited and AmazonUK. It'll be a minor inconvenience that I won't be able to easily take it places to show others, but maybe that's what Funi's streaming is for. Amazon's showing a price of £111 in my order at the moment...
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
That trailer was majestic, if a bit long-winded. Not sure if I'll double-dip on this one just yet, but certainly somewhere down the road.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3