• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pokémon Itasha BMW Sports Car Cruises Through Miami

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Afezeria

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:48 pm Reply with quote
That's something I can never get. Nice though.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Looks Epic! Very Happy I would be delighted by just having a photo of it in hand!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:07 pm Reply with quote
There are other BMW Itasha in North America, I spotted a Hatsune Miku BMW on Baseline Road in Ottawa back in May. (I wish I had seen it again, like at the weekly summer Kanata Cruise Night classic car meetups, so I could have taken better pics of it.)

For that matter, I spotted a Pokémon Humvee once back in Montreal, although that one wasn't so much an Itasha as it was advertising for Pokémon the Movie 2000.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:22 am Reply with quote
Damn that is one cool car and if I could I would rent the hell out of it. Cool
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:08 am Reply with quote
Wait, is it really an itasha if the graphics are just Pokemon? Nothing too painful about that -- to the contrary, it seems like something that people would *like* to be associated with, not something you'd feel pangs of shame for driving.

When I think "itasha," I think "waifu shrine car," or something like that. Something that holds a deep emotional appeal for you, but that you know others would look askance at.
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:42 am Reply with quote
I have seen the face of Nicolas cage painted a few hundred times all across a mustang in Norway. Can't get any more meme-ish
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:49 am Reply with quote
Citizen Klaus wrote:
Wait, is it really an itasha if the graphics are just Pokemon? Nothing too painful about that -- to the contrary, it seems like something that people would *like* to be associated with, not something you'd feel pangs of shame for driving.

When I think "itasha," I think "waifu shrine car," or something like that. Something that holds a deep emotional appeal for you, but that you know others would look askance at.

Maybe if it was anything but Gen 1 American Pokemon. Nostalgia is socially acceptable to show off. Just like those people who wear MMPR and 80s Ninja Turtles t-shirts.

Now, if it was modern or Japanese Pokemon, or modern Power Rangers or Super Sentai then you would definitely be getting some weird looks and names thrown at you.

Pokemon Go dropped off the map so I have no idea if it's still socially acceptable for everyone is playing the new fad phone game

-Stuart Smith
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Ew, reaction videos.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:07 am Reply with quote
Itasha covers a wide range of anime/manga-related stuff. Whether or not this was official approved by BMW is another story.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:19 am Reply with quote
I must say,this car looks great. It would make a great feature on "Top Gear." But,I've got a question. What does itasha mean? I have no idea what that means.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:30 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
What does itasha mean? I have no idea what that means.

Translated literally, itasha (痛車) means "painful car." It's also a pun for cars manufactured in Italy (イタリア車 Itaria-sha), which can be shortened to (イタ車 Itasha).

If you want to go further, there are anime-themed motorbikes called itansha (痛単車) and anime-themed bicycles called itachari (痛チャリ).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1