• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Gatchaman Crowds Insight

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
James wrote:
to make sure the series' particular aesthetic is your thing before fully committing to a purchase

Did you mean to say "to make sure the series' particular aesthetic and all over the place ideas is your thing before fully committing to a purchase"?

I will never understand why some people consider Gatchaman Crowds a great anime. I give it credit for being unique and ambitious, but its narrative, philosophy and themes are not clear and can get very dumb. And Insight is worse.

I would have no problem giving the first season a Rental rating, but the second season is Perishable.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
James wrote:
to make sure the series' particular aesthetic is your thing before fully committing to a purchase

Did you mean to say "to make sure the series' particular aesthetic and all over the place ideas is your thing before fully committing to a purchase"?

I will never understand why some people consider Gatchaman Crowds a great anime. I give it credit for being unique and ambitious, but its narrative, philosophy and themes are not clear and can get very dumb. And Insight is worse.

I would have no problem giving the first season a Rental rating, but the second season is Perishable.

I personally give the first season a Shelfworthy rating with Insight getting Perishable. It's like the difference between being shown how awesome Hajime is and being told- repeatedly and in very very direct terms- how amazing she is. Plus, giving her a foil called "Wings"- remember subtlety from the first season?- whose very existence and membership grounds the whole team through her

Quote:
While Hajime is still an acquired taste, she's balanced out by Tsubasa's level-headedness and likability, and thus the pair work well together both on and off the battlefield.

Uh huh. What series was being reviewed? Wasn't Insight the series where Tsubasa spoiler[turned against the Gatchaman in favor of the alien? Also, didn't she only managed to transform once?] And how is she likable? I thought she was meant to be an antagonist who stopped short of being a villain by reason of not being smart enough?

And she's not even the reason I hate the series, it's rather who Hajime turned into by the end. Remember, she's a special sage who always knows better than the rest of humanity...
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Uh huh. What series was being reviewed? Wasn't Insight the series where Tsubasa spoiler[turned against the Gatchaman in favor of the alien? Also, didn't she only managed to transform once?] And how is she likable? I thought she was meant to be an antagonist who stopped short of being a villain by reason of not being smart enough?

I've got to agree with this. At BEST I would say Tsubasa was "polarizing", but I wouldn't for a second say that her likability was a strong selling point for the show. If you want to be kind, Tsubasa is "naive", but the execution of that trait makes her REALLY irritating to a definite portion of viewers.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I think I would not call Tsubasa level-headed, adjectives like thoughtless or naive describe her much better, especially at the beginning.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, when the review said Tsubasa was level-headed, I wondered if he watched the same show I did. One of the main issues with the WHOLE SEASON was how *un*-level-headed she was. Her grandfather pointed it out from the beginning, and Tsubasa wasn't able to figure it out for a long time. Not only could she not transform, but she made things worse in pretty much every situation she became involved in. Really, Hajime showed herself to be *far* more level-headed at every turn in both seasons. She's not as grounded as Tsubasa, but that's part of the point: Tsubasa wasn't even grounded, she was just... unthinking. To be honest, I hated Tsubasa almost from the start: she represents the sort of mindless, unthinking arrogance that I really dislike in others. The fact that the show managed to generate such strong emotions in me is probably a sign of success, though.

I liked both seasons, for different reasons, and I *really* liked Hajime (cough). But I do understand how polarizing she can be. I think this was a pretty smart series, and this season certainly did a lot of smart and interesting things. I'm not sure if I'll ever buy it, but I definitely recommend it.
kasumicc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, I feel inclined to agree. How is Tsubasa likeable at all? For all her good intentions, she really got on my nerves. If anything, what Insight did was to get me sold on Hajime. Compared to Tsubasa, it's Hajime the one who stands as the level-headed one.

That said, leaving aside the (admittedly weak and all over the place) first two episodes, Insight stands out as a far better series than the first season (and that one was pretty good already). Insight offers a more straightforward and relatable message, and I think it's just smarter overall. I don't know, I just love it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I liked Gatchaman Crowds and Hajime. So I am going to watch Insight.

The bad in all of this, is that the OVA is not available in both seasons. The OVA is a critical piece of season one. It makes one wonder why Sentai was unable to acquire it, at least, for inclusion in season two.
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, the Gatchaman characters were never meant to be characters with personal growth and motivations (as some viewers complained about).

Instead they embody certain social viewpoints meant to contrast with each other to bring about the social commentary of the series. For example, Joe would be the conservative who believes in old-school top to bottom enforcement. The VAPE leader represents the educated cynic who sees the worst of humanity's mob mentality. Paiman is a follower who sees only the surface value of things at 1st glance (despite his leader assertions). Tsubasa is naive, unthinking idealism. Hajime is the levelheaded informed ideal (verbal communication issues aside).

Last edited by zztop on Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think I played a demo of the Tales of Vesperia game at some point, and I'm pretty sure I had no idea what I was doing.

It really helps to play the full game to give you some context as to what's going on. This is a great movie if you're a Tales fan or a longtime fan of Vesperia in general. It was also awesome that Funi went to the trouble of getting Troy Baker and Sam Riegel to play their respective roles as Yuri and Flynn like in the game. Estelle, Rita and Raven are not voiced by their game actors however; their replacement VAs do the job absolutely fine, but when you're so used to hearing characters a certain way thanks to hours spent playing the game, the difference in voices is quite noticeable.
Koda89

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:04 am Reply with quote
Yeah I don't get how Tsubasa can be seen as the levelheaded one.

And this is coming from someone for whom Gatchaman Crowds Insight was their AotY for 2015. Tsubasa's naive idealism is so bad that even Emiya Shirou would face palm. Laughing
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:34 am Reply with quote
What I saw that the review leaves out was the presentation of "soft fascism" as a plausible threat in a highly-connected age. In this, Gatchaman Crowds Insight joins Nakashima Kazuki's Kill la Kill and Oh! Edo Rocket in presenting deep criticisms of Japanese culture and politics and the pressures toward conformity.

I think Insight is the better of the two shows in terms of plot, but the weaker in terms of characters. Like others here I found Tsubasa pretty unlikeable. She can't hold a candle to Hajime.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
In my opinion, the Gatchaman characters were never meant to be characters with personal growth and motivations (as some viewers complained about).

Tsubasa does get character development, since she is able to see her own mistakes and while still hot-tempered learns to deal differently with situations. Hajime doesn’t develop, but she served a different purpose, as a catalyst for change within the gatchaman team in the first season and a problem solver in the second season, I just accepted it and I was ok with her.

Had the director wanted to develop her and failed, it would have had an issue with it, but since it was not the case and she served her purpose well I don’t have any problem with her at all.
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
See, this makes me very catius. I'm someone who could probably get really turned of a show dealing with heroism in general and social issues in particular with too much frivolity, and Hajime has from the start made me weary of watching this show ( i dunno, something about how her design is always depicted with that goofy smile in promo materials). I was considering it if what James wrote about a more grounded character, but if she's as unlikeable as stated above, I dunno if i can stomach a "Hajime show! featuring The Gatchaman team".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1