• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Disassociation of Haruhi Suzumiya (Novel 9)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:55 am Reply with quote
I currently have this on order from TRSI where it is listed out of stock. My check of Amazon and eBay showed me the book is obviously OOP given the prices being asked. So my question to those of you who are more familiar with the world of light novels is ... what are the odds of it getting a reprint? Right now it is the only novel out of the 10 that is hard to get.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
... what are the odds of it getting a reprint?

At a guess the odds are fairly poor. It depends on how long it has been out of print. This is a "real" book. Book publishers don't usually announce a reprint, they just do it and fulfill any outstanding orders. The fact that TRSI is showing it as out of stock and not out of print is encouraging though.

Your best bet is to leave it on order with TRSI (and anyone else who will take an order). In the mean time you can see if you can find someone selling it who doesn't know the going rate. You seem to be fairly good at that.

Have you tried Amazon etc.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:12 am Reply with quote
Yep, checked all the usual suspects - except the one you mentioned in your PM, Alan45. Wink Only because I didn't think of it.

I think I will sit tight with TRSI. Other books in the series have gotten reprints, so I have to think this one will too at some point. I just posted this in case somebody out there actually had some specific information.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:50 am Reply with quote
Probably your best bet.

For most US publishers there is a way to tell what printing you have. Look on the reverse of the title page. There you will see something like:

On the Haruhi books it is a couple of lines from the bottom. The lowest number indicates which printing you have. That is, if it shows 10987654 you have a fourth printing.

In this context I should mention that the "printing" is not the same as edition. In order for it to be a new edition there needs to be a change from the prior issue. For instance when Dark Horse reissued Oh My Goddess! in right to left format (unflipped) it was a new edition.
BrokenByDefault

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:20 pm Reply with quote
So after seeing this thread, I panicked and did some hunting because I've always wanted to read this series. I found a listing for the paperback version of Disassociation on eBay for $20 AU and bought it, but they cancelled the listing straight after, but not my order. So I don't know if I'll get it.

But then I found a copy in my comic book store today. So, if the eBay order actually ships out, I'm more than happy to ship it to you, Blood, for cost price plus postage. Let me know if you're interested.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:10 am Reply with quote
What a nice offer, thank you, BrokenByDefault! However, even if your order comes in, I think I'll stand pat with my TRSI order. But, your post made me realize that I should check certain b&m places here in Toronto. I'm so used to online ordering I rarely even think of comic books stores and the like any more. I doubt I'll be as fortunate as you in finding a copy, but never hurts to try. I'm glad this thread inspired you to act before it was too late.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:30 am Reply with quote
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
OK, the consensus seems to be that the book is out there, you just have to find it.

For information purposes, The Disassociation of Haruhi Suzumiya is the only volume in the series that is not stand alone. It ends with "To Be Continued in the Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya". At 181 pages it forms the first third of The Surprise. The Surprise was apparently broken into two volumes for Japanese publication. I guess they didn't want a 540 page book.

From the afterword, it does not appear that the author intends to write any additional volumes in this series.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
Oooooo.... I'm sending a PM your way, st_owly.

@ Alan45, yes, I suppose a 540-page book no longer qualifies as a "light" novel.
BrokenByDefault

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:20 pm Reply with quote
No worries! Smile

So the eBay order did ship out, so if anyone needs it, feel free to let me know! The comic book store also had at least one of the hardcover version, as well, if anyone is collecting those instead!

(I don't know the exact quantity because they keep one of everything in the cabinet so you can see their stock, and everything else is behind the counter).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Allz swell whut endz swell.

Prompted by BrokenByDefault's mention of finding a copy at a comic book store, I've been checking likely suspects in Toronto in the last little while. Today, I checked the last place that was on my list - a delightful comic book/manga store called The Beguiling - and lo and friggin' behold they actually had a soft cover copy available! So I snapped it up. It cost me about $2 more than it would have if I had waited fro TRSI to come through, but I believe a bird in the hand is worth infinity in the bush. Just have to cancel my TRSI order, now.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:18 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Quote:
I believe a bird in the hand is worth infinity in the bush.

Oh Really!? Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
*gently scoops Alan45's mind out of the gutter*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1