• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Need support to get Your Name released theatrically in Puerto Rico.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sorenthehero117

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I come from Puerto Rico as do many other fans of anime, and if you live here, you know we don't have the luxury of getting anime films released theatrically out here, at least not anymore. We had almost every single Studio Ghibli film released in theaters here, ending with The Wind Rises, and since then, we only had one anime film released theatrically since 2013. If you're wondering which one it was, it was Dragonball Z Resurrection F, however this was shown to us before the film got its North American theatrical release. We ended up seeing it either in Japanese, or in spanish, since the majority of us who went to see this film were fans of the anime growing up as kids and saw it in it's Spanish dub (they even got the original voice actors) and no surprise, the film was successful out here and sold out on its first (and at the time only) showing of the movie. So much so that they extended its run for a week with both Spanish and Japanese dubbing.

Where I'm going with this, is that Kimi no Na Wa, or Your Name has been announced to be released theatrically by Funimation Films and they're film releases never get showcased in Puerto Rico where we live unless through manners of petitioning by fans like myself. To give example, in 2015 a petition was started by an unknown user asking for both live action Attack on Titan movies to be released out here during the time that the films were given their N.A. Theatrical run. At first it seemed like the petition went under the radar, until a horror film festival that gets showcased in Puerto Rico every year in October posted an event showing both movies one after the other for a one day showing. I was lucky enough to get tickets for both movies (loved them both) and got to meet the man in charge of the event who actually confirmed to me that he got Wind of the petition and was able to contact Funimation in order to get the films released here for the event. A year later, the same thing happened with Shin Godzilla and we got to see it in its entirety with English subtitles, the same as the Attack On Titan movies (and no, we had no issues with the subs like some did).

As a result of this, I took the liberty of starting this petition to try and get both Funimation and Caribbean Cinemas (the only movie theater chain in Puerto Rico, which were able to get us the aforementioned films released here) to bring Your Name to Puerto Rico at the time of its Theatrical Release. There are many of us out here, though many are hidden away from social media, and the few that are, haven't been given wind of the petition I started. I'm asking you all, from one anime fan to several others, to read the petition I started, sign it, and if you can, please help us spread the word to get both Funimation and Caribbean Cinemas' attention. We can't do this without your help, and it would mean a lot to us all if you gave us your support. As of now, we only had 53 signatures, but with your help, that number can rise higher. I'll post a link to the petition below: thank you for your assistance.

https://www.change.org/p/funimation-bring-makoto-shinkai-s-your-name-kimi-no-na-wa-to-puerto-rico
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I went ahead and approved this post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Changed thread title to fit character limit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1