• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Ajin: Demi-Human Anime for Home Video

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see this. I hope they do collector's editions like they did with Knights of Sedonia.
Karl2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I hope they include the OVAs'.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this also means that Sentai will eventually release the 7 Deadly Sins and the Little Witch Academia new series.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, this will help Sentai Filmworks survive for another year. Laughing

Most likely will have a Premium Box Set.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:

It is too early to start panicking about Sentai; the have plenty of solid pickups from 2016. But if they have a lackluster 2017 for new licenses, they would be in trouble by late 2018.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:

It is too early to start panicking about Sentai; the have plenty of solid pickups from 2016. But if they have a lackluster 2017 for new licenses, they would be in trouble by late 2018.

And let's not forget that they still have a pile of Sunrise titles still awaiting release, as well as LoGH. Not to mention, they fairly regularly pick up older catalog titles that don't get accounced until closer to solicitation.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:

A quick glance at Rightstuf indicates that Sentai Filmworks is releasing at least 20 different titles between now and the end of April, so perhaps reports of their deaths have been greatly exaggerated.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm assuming they're gonna put both seasons out as one series? Given that all the dubbing/subbing is done, there's not a lot of ways for Sentai to screw this up.
bs3311

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Now this is a title worth getting imo despite the horrid cg in some cases. Wonder if they'll show this on TAN.

angelmcazares wrote:
Hopefully this also means that Sentai will eventually release the 7 Deadly Sins and the Little Witch Academia new series.

Hope so to. But this seems to have been a deal with the production committee in japan and not under Netflix according to their press article even if they were loosely apart of it as a sponsor. But again, I hope it hints at something more down the line.

Quote:
But if they have a lackluster 2017 for new licenses, they would be in trouble by late 2018.

Well winter is starting off as a very lackluster season license, streaming and simuldub wise. Everyone is taking a hit.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

As I recall, The Seven Deadly Sins was an Aniplex title. That means the only company in the US permitted to handle a home video release would be Aniplex of America.

bs3311 wrote:
Wonder if they'll show this on TAN.

No, since as with Sidonia, Netflix retains exclusive streaming rights.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:52 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
As I recall, The Seven Deadly Sins was an Aniplex title. That means the only company in the US permitted to handle a home video release would be Aniplex of America.

It's actually a Kodansha title, it recently got released in Germany and the company there only credited Kodansha & Netflix with Aniplex nowhere to be seen.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I don't think that's actually a set-in-stone rule. Just something that's a lot more likely these days after most major Aniplex licenses have been expiring. I could be wrong though. I wouldn't be surprised if Aniplex is withholding home video rights entirely because of reverse importation fears though.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:44 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:

It's actually a Kodansha title, it recently got released in Germany and the company there only credited Kodansha & Netflix with Aniplex nowhere to be seen.

Kodansha publishes the manga and maybe they have some exclusive rights to home video (which could be region based) depending on contracts, but Aniplex is still on the production committee (along with Dentsu and MBS) and Aniplex's A-1 Pictures was the studio. It doesn't mean that AoA instantly gets the title for sure, but its understandable if people get paranoid of anything that Aniplex is associated with. Its quite possible it may go to someone else not just because of Kodansha but even if AoA had first dibs for the NA video market they may not see it worthy of a premium price tag.

Personally, it doesn't seem in AoA wheelhouse. Its not quite the hype machine of say FSN, KLK or Madoka nor the nostalgia or fan base of GL, Monogatari, etc.
bs3311

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

No, since as with Sidonia, Netflix retains exclusive streaming rights.

Read the article and what they got the license to. Home video and video on demand rights. TAN has a VOD service. Though again I'm taking the possibility with a grain of salt.

One-Eye wrote:
Personally, it doesn't seem in AoA wheelhouse. Its not quite the hype machine of say FSN, KLK or Madoka nor the nostalgia or fan base of GL, Monogatari, etc.

Also the aniplex of old would've announced the home video license by now if they had it.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:55 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:

A quick glance at Rightstuf indicates that Sentai Filmworks is releasing at least 20 different titles between now and the end of April, so perhaps reports of their deaths have been greatly exaggerated.
I think that people forget that Sentai are all about home distribution and whatever is happening the world of simulcast has little to do with them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2