• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Castlevania Show's Adi Shankar: Next Project is Dark 'Power Rangers' Reimagining

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:03 am Reply with quote
Power Rangers Animated? I'M SOLD! Especially if the animation style is that of Japanese Anime like Voltron Legendary Defender.Very Happy
Deoxy360

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:10 am Reply with quote
An R Rated Power Rangers series.

I don't think Mister Saban would improve of this. He'd shut that down, faster than a underaged party.
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:11 am Reply with quote
I'd much rather an excessive grimdark adaptation of Kamen Rider.

Make it like The First, only about two thirds less pretentious, and not absolute garbage.

Last edited by HyperGatack on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
dark13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:21 am Reply with quote
Yeah No, Power rangers doesn't need to be dark and edgy, it just needs to have good writing that all.
3ngag3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:04 am Reply with quote
Because the first time he tried this, it was a HUGE success, amirite? Just stick to Castlevania. At least they won't try to shut you down.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:21 am Reply with quote
Just watch sentai if you want to see blood and crap. American companies have already shown they don't know how to make good tokusatsu.
kirac91

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:32 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Just watch sentai if you want to see blood and crap. American companies have already shown they don't know how to make good tokusatsu.

Wait theres blood in sentai? Shocked Evil or Very Mad Shocked Wink sold xD
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:41 am Reply with quote
I have a feeling he's just making up shit to get attention. Saban Brands would never green light something like this.

Lord Oink wrote:
Just watch sentai if you want to see blood and crap.

I hope you're not implying you think Sentai is mature because of some blood once in a while. It's the same target audience as Power Rangers, 6-11 year old kids, just with different cultural standards (like with kids anime compared to western kids cartoons).
Dian Z

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:24 am Reply with quote
A darker reimagining seems to be the trend these days. I just hope that those people behind the scenes wouldn't simply assume that darker means better, or making it darker for the sake of being dark without any substantial addition.

I do like the idea of not making it monster-of-the-week series. Gotta love the continuity, a page-turner's even better.
NateSelwyn25

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:49 am Reply with quote
It's already been rebooted TWICE already, comics and the new movie. Just leave MMPR the hell alone.
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:01 am Reply with quote
sorry but a dark and edgy Power rangers just would not work.
wastrel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:14 am Reply with quote
"Oooh, I can't think of anything new. What to do? I know, let's take something nice and positive that already exists, and make it Dark and Edgy! No one has ever done that before!"

I hate so much the current tread to take existing shows/stories and essentially corrupt them, offering up the corrupt version as somehow new or better. This is not a creative act, it's a destructive one. (not that everything has to be light and positive, but not everything has to be dark and negative either)

Not that, of course, anyone anywhere gives a damn what I think.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:28 am Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:

I hope you're not implying you think Sentai is mature because of some blood once in a while. It's the same target audience as Power Rangers, 6-11 year old kids, just with different cultural standards (like with kids anime compared to western kids cartoons).

I said dark not mature. But thats still what mature means anyway if you go by that edgy Archie TV show or any other edgy reimagining that's come out recently. So if you just want to see people die or get stabbed or something then watch sentai. Only thing it wont have is 90% of the show being shot at night with low lighting.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:06 am Reply with quote
Deoxy360 wrote:
An R Rated Power Rangers series.

I don't think Mister Saban would improve of this. He'd shut that down, faster than a underaged party.

Yeah, that's the part that doesn't add up to me: How can he announce he'll do some reboot of an existing franchise, then we see that he hasn't received permission from the rights holders?

wastrel wrote:
"Oooh, I can't think of anything new. What to do? I know, let's take something nice and positive that already exists, and make it Dark and Edgy! No one has ever done that before!"

I hate so much the current tread to take existing shows/stories and essentially corrupt them, offering up the corrupt version as somehow new or better. This is not a creative act, it's a destructive one. (not that everything has to be light and positive, but not everything has to be dark and negative either)

Not that, of course, anyone anywhere gives a damn what I think.

It is a logical trend though: Nostalgia is what's in right now, and a lot of people want to see their childhood franchises grown up with them, so to speak. I don't know how much sway the Power Rangers franchise has over kids right now, however. But I do notice the trend in darker-and-edgier adaptations tends to be of franchises or stories that no longer have much appeal among kids. (You have just as many reboots and remakes to try to reignite an old franchise for kids though, so I guess it all comes down to what the creators of these movies and TV shows want.)
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:53 am Reply with quote
I don't know why it has to be official Power Rangers. I mean Power Rangers itself doesn't even exist, really. Just make a dark Super Sentai show in the same vein, and call it something else. It's not like Saban owns this genre.

kirac91 wrote:
Lord Oink wrote:

Wait theres blood in sentai? Shocked Evil or Very Mad Shocked Wink sold xD

Garo has blood and nudity. Fights are better too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2