• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bandai's Home Video Release of Space Battleship Yamato 2202 Won't Include English Subs

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:46 am Reply with quote
Why do these people not want our business? Whether it's Bandai or Voyager, the people in charge of the Yamato franchise these days seem allergic to actually making money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:20 am Reply with quote
They'd rather lose money to pirates than reverse importation. Rolling Eyes
Panon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:26 am Reply with quote
I even had the blu-ray ordered assuming it would be the same as the first series which I imported.

But if they don't want people to buy it Confused
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:38 am Reply with quote
This is the 2nd time i get burned for supporting the Japanese release. First Jojo and now Yamato.

I don't see any logic behind this decision other than the typical mentality "Anime is ours only".

I just hope that the reason for the exclusion is that there is a licensing agreement....but not under the name Star Blazer.
leongsh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:53 am Reply with quote
Majin Tenshi wrote:
I just hope that the reason for the exclusion is that there is a licensing agreement....but not under the name Star Blazer.

Probably due to licensing agreement. The 10 minute preview streamed on YouTube has a small Star Blazer in the logo.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:53 am Reply with quote
Very disappointing, I would have bought the import instantly if it was English subbed like the rest.
Heibi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:17 am Reply with quote
Yep, it makes no sense. Why do the first series with subtitles, and the follow-on movie, but not the second series. What are they trying to do, promote piracy and fan-subbing?

I, too, was going to order it but was waiting for the subtitle announcement. Now I will not be ordering the Japanese release direct from them. I also know of many people who will cancel or have already canceled their orders due to this decision.

Poor business decision, Bandai.
VetRaptor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:43 am Reply with quote
Yeah I don't understand this decision....and if there is a Star Blazers logo I am not holding any more hope for it. Checking Voyager's website I still don't have BluRays 5 and 6 for the StarBlazers 2199, and NO information if it will ever be released. And since it's been I think 3 years I hold no hope anymore =(
Heibi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:42 am Reply with quote
VetRaptor wrote:
Yeah I don't understand this decision....and if there is a Star Blazers logo I am not holding any more hope for it. Checking Voyager's website I still don't have BluRays 5 and 6 for the StarBlazers 2199, and NO information if it will ever be released. And since it's been I think 3 years I hold no hope anymore =(

Order from Japan direct. That's what I did for the whole first series.
vol 5: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/BCXA-489
vol 6: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/BCXA-490
vol 7 http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/BCXA-491
Special movie that takes place in between vol 6 and 7: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/BCXA-967
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:48 am Reply with quote
Heibi, I think VetRaptor's point is not concern about getting 2199, but concern that the extremely poor execution of the US release of 2199 spells trouble for the 2202 release. Your point about the 2199 Japanese release is true but not exactly apposite. After all, the entire point of this thread is that buying the Japanese release will not be an option for 2202 the way it is for 2199.

Now, it's hypothetically possible that without competition from the Japanese release the US release will be more successful (after all, some of us, me included, would have bought a US release without the Japanese one.) However, I also fear delays born about from reverse importation concerns on the Japanese end, so I'm worried. (I doubt they'll really want a US release any earlier than the release timing of the inevitable cheaper box set Japanese release.)
mrploddy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:12 am Reply with quote
I watched 2022 ep 1 via legal streaming today.

In the credits Voayger Entertainment is listed as the 海外担当。

Make of that what you will...
VetRaptor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:29 am Reply with quote
Basically yeah. Poor execution kind of kills it, and lack of English subtitles for the new one definitely kills it for me. I've imported a couple of BluRays as long as I had my english subtitles. Downside is some of the titles if I wanted the entire series would run a hefty price tag. I wanted Macross Frontier, but it was 9 Blu Ray volumes and would have run me over $500 for it, and now out of print. I'm going to have to see what I'll do about Yamato 2199 though.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:35 am Reply with quote
I wish Voyager would release the Yamato films on DVD/Blu Ray using the Japanese masters. The sole US DVD release I've seen from them were transferred from a video tape source, and on a HD TV they look awful. Oh, and they're in mono, too.

I'd spring for a BluRay set of the films with English subs, so long as they were done right.
Heibi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:56 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Heibi, I think VetRaptor's point is not concern about getting 2199, but concern that the extremely poor execution of the US release of 2199 spells trouble for the 2202 release. Your point about the 2199 Japanese release is true but not exactly apposite. After all, the entire point of this thread is that buying the Japanese release will not be an option for 2202 the way it is for 2199.

Now, it's hypothetically possible that without competition from the Japanese release the US release will be more successful (after all, some of us, me included, would have bought a US release without the Japanese one.) However, I also fear delays born about from reverse importation concerns on the Japanese end, so I'm worried. (I doubt they'll really want a US release any earlier than the release timing of the inevitable cheaper box set Japanese release.)

Actually the way he worded it I would assume he has no idea how to get the missing 2199 volumes.

However, the way Voyager seems to have slow boated its releases and hasn't had an update on their page in nearly 3 years makes it seem unlikely that we can count on Voyager to get 2202 in any semblance of speed. And since they never finished 2199 I also fear that we will be waiting years for a subtitled blu-ray release.

All this feeds the fansub and piracy crowd.
russ869

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
The article says the movie is currently streaming for a fee (I assume unsubbed?). But I can't find any information about where it is streaming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3