• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nintendo Switch Fan "Wins" 17,500-Yen Auction for Catalog

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
With "early bird gets the worm!" and "brand new" as the first things written in the item description, this was definitely an auction with the intent to deceive. The person also has 11 negative feedbacks... Aside from other terms in the description, all it says is "look at the pictures for details."

I actually don't think sellers can charge a "cancellation fee" for bid retractions. Including that bit in there again shows that the seller was looking for a sucker. I wouldn't be surprised if they were shill bidding too.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:53 am Reply with quote
Yeah I don't know how Ebay japan works , but if you took this to ebay here, not only would you not have to pay, the seller would probably be reprimanded.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:04 am Reply with quote
I definitely remember a story like this when the Wii was new. I first found out about it on GameFAQs. Someone paid the full $250 and got the cardboard box the Wii came in. The auction had pictures of the Wii system itself and Wii Sports, and while it did say that it was an empty box, it was in tiny text next to giant text that read "Wii."

CrownKlown wrote:
Yeah I don't know how Ebay japan works , but if you took this to ebay here, not only would you not have to pay, the seller would probably be reprimanded.

I don't know if things have changed from that WIi incident, but I remember for that one, there was nothing the buyer could've done, as the auction did say it was for an empty box and it said that right from the start, and so it wasn't false advertisement.

I'd guess that stuff like this would be considered fraud though.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:33 am Reply with quote
Doesn't look like this was the seller's first time pulling this stunt either. They received a negative for a similar auction here. Oh, and they're selling it again here. What a jerk!

The problem with Yahoo! Auctions is that they have the users police each other. Reporting an item just sends a notification to the seller saying that someone things their item is against the rules for x reason. Yahoo! generally does not look over the reports to take action.

There are so many fake autographs sold on auctions. You gotta wonder just how many sign boards signed by the entire Monogatari series cast there are in existence. It's sad so many people don't know any better, even though the fake autographs are so sloppy.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Why people are such in hurry for launch unit/1st batch unit that is likely will break or buggy? Is the fame for early user is really good?
I will skip anything about 1st batch electronic products because you know, its more like a trial/demo ver.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
Why people are such in hurry for launch unit/1st batch unit that is likely will break or buggy? Is the fame for early user is really good?
I will skip anything about 1st batch electronic products because you know, its more like a trial/demo ver.

I don't know about other people, but for me, I got a Switch from the start because I have no idea when my next opportunity will be to get one. Like the Wii and some of the amiibo, this seems like the sort of thing where the second batch will sell out quickly, and the third batch, and so forth, such that if I'm not fast, I won't be able to get one, and big releases like ARMS and Splatoon 2 might have come out before I can get a Switch.

The midnight release at Best Buy was a good chance to get one, and unlike the other shipments, the date and time were known and concrete.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1