• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Skater Evgenia Medvedeva Returns to Tokyo as Sailor Moon

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SailorPluto1313

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I should've know that Yuri!!! on Ice would make an appearance here.....no article is safe anymore....

Rolling Eyes

Well, I like her Sailor Moon outfit, it's really cute Very Happy
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
*wants sketch*

...Guess I'll have to wait until AnimeFest...
fencer_x

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quote
SailorPluto1313 wrote:
I should've know that Yuri!!! on Ice would make an appearance here.....no article is safe anymore....

Rolling Eyes

No article is safe?? It's an article about a figure skater who loves the show and receives fanart from official artists for it. This is exactly where you should expect to see it. Zhenya hasn't been shy at all about proclaiming her love for the series and aggressively tweeted about it while it was airing. It's rivaling her love for Sailor Moon. Don't be a hater and let her enjoy her anime Razz
Shiggity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:05 am Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:
SailorPluto1313 wrote:

Rolling Eyes

No article is safe?? It's an article about a figure skater who loves the show and receives fanart from official artists for it. This is exactly where you should expect to see it. Zhenya hasn't been shy at all about proclaiming her love for the series and aggressively tweeted about it while it was airing. It's rivaling her love for Sailor Moon. Don't be a hater and let her enjoy her anime Razz

I can't read Russian, but isn't her name Eugenia?

She did a great job! It's too bad she's around 1/2 my age.... *sighs*... lol.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:40 am Reply with quote
SailorPluto1313 wrote:

Rolling Eyes

To her "credit", Medvedeva has been a pretty hardcore anime fan for quite some time and just happens to also be a Yuri on Ice fan (albeit a pretty massive one). As noted in the article, she's done a Sailor Moon routine before. As opposed to the bandwagon US (and other nationality) figure skaters who I've seen gushing about Yuri on Ice, but not really anything else. In that sense, I think it's cool that Medvedeva got such support from the anime industry.
Expias

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote
Shiggity wrote:

Her name's been commonly transliterated into Evgenia. Her twitter is Evgenia (or Evgeniya). Another one is Yevgeniya.

I'm not sure what use the first comment by SailorPluto served. ANN has had several Yuri on Ice articles. Medvedeva is a huge anime fan. I wouldn't be surprised if her tweeting about it helped introduce its rising popularity to the other figure skaters who have welcomed it.

And I honestly don't see the issue with figure skaters enjoying and 'gushing' about an anime they found interest in? So what, they liked it and loved it. I think that's a good thing. Why would or should they talk about other anime if they aren't interested in them. "Bandwagon" figure skaters. I think that's some conceited bs.

edited: corrected to "Evgeniya"

Last edited by Expias on Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Expias wrote:
I'm not sure what use the first comment by SailorPluto served. ANN has had several Yuri on Ice articles.

Which is exactly the POINT. For people who are not fans, it's "overrated" and frankly overexposed. That sort of thing quickly changes a show (like say Accel World) from "harmless fluff that I'm not into" into a show (like SAO) that is "OMG I'm sick of hearing about this please just SHUT UP". A VERY small number of shows are "exception cases" (like DBZ, Sailor Moon, & Pokemon) since they ARE so ubiquitous even outside of anime fandom that its simply considered a "given". But once you're talking about things limited to the niche, then it's a matter of taste. Like how people got sick of hearing about Kodomo no Jikan or some people ARE sick of SAO etc.
Quote:
And I honestly don't see the issue with figure skaters enjoying and 'gushing' about an anime they found interest in? So what, they liked it and loved it. I think that's a good thing. Why would or should they talk about other anime if they aren't interested in them. "Bandwagon" figure skaters. I think that's some conceited bs.

I put it that way because I find it self-serving and understand someone else taking issue with ANN reporting "look, FAMOUS people notice anime". As I said in my response, Ms. Medvedeva has long been an anime fan, so I think it's cool to point out that she IS an anime fan. OTOH, you have other skaters that AFAIK couldn't careless except "oh, cool, an anime about figure skating". That's like "look at Tom Brady pose next to an Eyeshield 21 cutout while in Japan" Has he ever watched the show? Probably not, but WHO CARES, It's a famous guy standing next to an anime thing.

I am an ANIMATION fan first and foremost and am consistently disappointed that the medium is frankly disrespected in the West. So if you have someone like Medvedeva that appreciates the medium and can then connect it to their life, I respect and appreciate that. OTOH, if you have people that DON'T respect the medium but will roll with a fad that can be connected to their lives, then those are band-wagon jumpers IMO. The same is true for people who were sporting Cubs gear this year after they won the World Series, but didn't care for the previous century when they didn't.

EDIT: For the record, if people wanna "band wagon" jump on fads, no skin off my nose, let em do what they want. But I can understand if someone else gets annoyed with making a big DEAL about it (ie. reporting it) when you're talking about a "one and done" thing. If they made a basketball anime about LeBron James and he watched it, I don't really consider that "OMG, BIG DEAL!!!!" OTOH, if there's a story about LeBron watching "Saga of Tanya the Evil", then yeah, that'd be notable for sure.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Expias wrote:
Shiggity wrote:

Her name's been commonly transliterated into Evgenia. Her twitter is Evgenia (or Evengiya). Another one is Yevgeniya.
This. And, in case Shiggity's issue was with "Zhenya", that's how the name is shortened in Russian. I know, makes about as much sense as deriving "Dick" from "Richard", but what are you gonna do?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1