Forum - View topic
NEWS: Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology 3DS Game's Promo Previews Full Opening Theme




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
harminia



Joined: 24 Aug 2015
Posts: 1446
Location: australia
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Harukkkkaaaaa

I'm not real big on the new designs for the characters, especially the design for the princess. She was so much better when she looked boyish, it was refreshing. Now she's kinda generic.

But I'm probably more upset by the fact apparently it's gonna be English dub only. Man, how I long for dual audio...

I really enjoyed the original game though so I'd like to play this some time.



Also is anyone else weirded out by Stocke smiling at the end of the video. I'm used to him being a big grump.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whiskeyii



Joined: 29 May 2013
Posts: 1939
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:

But I'm probably more upset by the fact apparently it's gonna be English dub only. Man, how I long for dual audio...


As far as I can tell, this is only intended for a Japan release, so where's this talk of an English dub coming from? Shocked

Just as an aside, I really dislike the new art, but it makes me raise a quizzical eyebrow at the fact that they actually went so far as to change the in-game sprite for Eruca (the princess) to have long hair just to fit the new design. Why not just leave it short and save yourself the work...?

EDIT: At least I can buy an "old art mode" as DLC... *grumble grumble*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
harminia



Joined: 24 Aug 2015
Posts: 1446
Location: australia
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:08 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
As far as I can tell, this is only intended for a Japan release, so where's this talk of an English dub coming from? Shocked


Here.

"Etrian Odyssey V and Perfect Chronology will have English audio while Strange Journey Redux will have Japanese audio."
And knowing Atlus, that means English only.

whiskeyii wrote:

EDIT: At least I can buy an "old art mode" as DLC... *grumble grumble*

Ooh, there's an old art DLC? sweet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 4409
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:51 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:


I'm not real big on the new designs for the characters, especially the design for the princess. She was so much better when she looked boyish, it was refreshing.


It was generic.


harminia wrote:

Also is anyone else weirded out by Stocke smiling at the end of the video. I'm used to him being a big grump.


Well that makes sense since one of the biggest problems with the character portraits besides how bland they looked was the fact they didn't emote....which I hope they've fixed with this game (which I almost expect they haven't).


whiskeyii wrote:


Just as an aside, I really dislike the new art, but it makes me raise a quizzical eyebrow at the fact that they actually went so far as to change the in-game sprite for Eruca (the princess) to have long hair just to fit the new design. Why not just leave it short and save yourself the work...?


Because that'd be lazy?


Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
harminia



Joined: 24 Aug 2015
Posts: 1446
Location: australia
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
harminia wrote:


I'm not real big on the new designs for the characters, especially the design for the princess. She was so much better when she looked boyish, it was refreshing.


It was generic.


Not as generic as she looks now. At least before she was recognisable. Now I wouldn't be able to pick her out of a crowd of similar long haired blonde princesses.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
belvadeer





PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to playing this all over again. I wonder who they'll get for the English dub. : )
Back to top
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 4409
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:29 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:

Not as generic as she looks now. At least before she was recognisable.


Well sure if you ignore how different everyone's character portraits looked compared to what they looked on the game's box art to the point where in any other game they'd easily pass for generic units you'd get saddled with in a tactical RPG like Fire Emblem or something.



harminia wrote:
Now I wouldn't be able to pick her out of a crowd of similar long haired blonde princesses.


Shouldn't be too hard if you reconcile the fact she's the only long blonde haired princess in the game itself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DRWii



Joined: 16 May 2007
Posts: 608
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:00 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Ooh, there's an old art DLC? sweet.

The fact that it's DLC instead of an option in-game is pretty lousy, though. Doesn't help that it's too expensive for what it is (250 Yen).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
whiskeyii



Joined: 29 May 2013
Posts: 1939
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:00 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:


Well sure if you ignore how different everyone's character portraits looked compared to what they looked on the game's box art to the point where in any other game they'd easily pass for generic units you'd get saddled with in a tactical RPG like Fire Emblem or something.


Honestly not sure what you're trying to say here, BadNewsBlues. Compared to my original box art, Eruca looks the same as her portrait, design-wise. And while I can't speak to Fire Emblem characters as a whole, short-haired princesses are generally in short supply, so I'm always glad to see a character who breaks from the norm. Moreover, I thought her original design easily conveyed the somber seriousness of her character, and the gothic look of the art overall contributed to the game's more grim tone, hence why I find the newer art, which just kind of plumps everyone up and loses that somber feel, to be far more generic in tone.

All that aside, I'm still deeply confused about Eruca's redesign; yes, it is more work, but why only redesign her? Why not Raynie, or Marco, or the queen? What was it about Eruca specifically that prompted a redesign? I just find it baffling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DRWii



Joined: 16 May 2007
Posts: 608
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
Regarding Eruca's hair, here's what the director had to say.
Quote:
In a recent 4Gamer interview, director Hirata is asked about the decision to change Princess Eruca’s hairstyle, which was originally short.

Hirata wanted to redesign visual aspects of the game, like the characters and the UI, in a way that new customers could pick up. There are many people who liked the original look of the game, so it was an important decision.

In regards to Eruca’s new, long hair, Hirata states that she was actually meant to have long hair originally. She was given short hair in the Nintendo DS game to convey a princess with a different hair style than one would expect. While Perfect Chronology doesn’t represent a “return to origin,” they decided to make Eruca’s hair long again to make her depiction as royalty direct, and as “the image of a princess you generally imagine.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 4409
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Honestly not sure what you're trying to say here, BadNewsBlues. Compared to my original box art, Eruca looks the same as her portrait, design-wise.


Design wise yes as detailed/spiffy looking as the art on the cover? No.


whiskeyii wrote:
And while I can't speak to Fire Emblem characters as a whole, short-haired princesses are generally in short supply,


Okay? Not that Eruca's short hair was a significant element that defined her character let alone her design.

whiskeyii wrote:
Moreover, I thought her original design easily conveyed the somber seriousness of her character,


She only comes off as somber and serious because none of the cast display other emotions in the various scenes in the game. Whether it's someone killing themselves trying to save Stocke or massacring most of the party in an act of betrayal. They'll have the same upbeat or non expression in their portraits regardless of context and how weird it makes the scene.


whiskeyii wrote:

and the gothic look of the art overall contributed to the game's more grim tone,


The game wasn't that grim for the most part, maybe in the route where the empire is kicking ass unopposed and where certain scenes and endings are concerned but it was fairly balanced.

whiskeyii wrote:

All that aside, I'm still deeply confused about Eruca's redesign; yes, it is more work, but why only redesign her? Why not Raynie, or Marco, or the queen?


Who can honestly say, maybe someone on the staff didn't like her short hair.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group