• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is One Punch Man over hyped?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TKBread

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Recently I finished One Punch Man and I was just wondering what other people thought about it. I took to social media and I saw "is One Punch Man over hyped?" I didn't think so, but I am curious to what other people have to say.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quote
In b4 thread gets locked for going nowhere, the OP giving very little insight into the topic, the topic itself being entirely subjective nonsense with no end goal, and the OP likely never coming back as this is his only post in the entire forum.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
While I do think OP does need a bit more to the post, and probably the thread needs broadening, it's not that bad of a topic to breach.

The initial question, "Is One Punch Man overhyped?" can be asked of just about any series, especially the "big" ones. "Is [insert popular series here] overhyped?" is just as valid of a question.

To fully understand the question, we have to first break it down. "Is" implies a yes or no answer. Now, there can always be conditions, and that's why there can be discussion. "One Punch Man," as we've already established, can be changed to any series. It's simply the subject of discussion. Which leaves us with "overhyped."

Since "overhyped" isn't in the dictionary (at least not on dictionary.com), we have to take the compound word apart. The first part is "over." As "over" is describing the "hype," it's an adjective. According to the dictionary, and in this context, it means "too great, excessive." Fair enough, and easy to understand.

"Hype," on the other hand, means "exaggerated publicity, hoopla." As a verb, it means "to create interest in by flamboyant or dramatic methods; promote or publicize showily." Since "overhyped" is in the past tense, we're talking about a verb, and so it's the latter. Which means that "overhyped" would mean "to create interest in by flamboyant or dramatic methods excessively" or "promote or publicize too showily."

So we know what "overhyped" means, and we can look at the question as a whole. For One Punch Man specifically, no, I don't think we can say that it's been "overhyped," by dictionary definition. At least personally, I haven't seen any "flamboyant" or "dramatic" methods of drumming up interest, or overtly "showy" promotions.

What there has been, on the other hand, is a lot of fans promoting it. Not necessarily showily, though. Instead, what I think a lot of people refer to when they say that something is "overhyped," is that a lot of people are talking about it. Which isn't necessarily "overhype," but it isn't necessarily NOT "overhype," at the same time. It depends on how it's being done.

There definitely are series that have been overhyped, by dictionary definition, both professionally and by fans. Should the mods see fit to leave this thread open, I personally would welcome people to suggest other series that are commonly accused of being overhyped, and let us discuss whether or not they actually are overhyped.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:34 pm Reply with quote
It's okay.....though I'm not sure why people treat it like it's the best anime ever made.

I got some lols out of it but it's not particularly special to me.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't see a problem with the thread, although seeing TKBread expand on his reasoning for his position would be appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:53 am Reply with quote
I would say no, it deserves the recognition, since I loved it and looking forward to more.
niji9t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:57 am Reply with quote
To put it short, yes. Didn't find it to be funny in the slightest. Characters were also super boring. The opening is amazing though, to me it's the best part of the show since literally nothing else was memorable. Hell, even good ol' Naruto was more memorable than this. And that's saying something.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:53 pm Reply with quote
niji9t wrote:
To put it short, yes. Didn't find it to be funny in the slightest. Characters were also super boring. The opening is amazing though, to me it's the best part of the show since literally nothing else was memorable. Hell, even good ol' Naruto was more memorable than this. And that's saying something.

Naruto is pretty memorable, especially if we're referring to the pre-Shippuden days.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Yes, because I don't like it.

If I did like it, then no, it deserves every single praise it gets. Hell, it deserves more praise, even.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:53 am Reply with quote
^

It took every fiber of my being to prevent myself from saying something similar.

Honestly, to someone, Fullmetal Alchemist (either one) could be considered overhyped. Let's just get this out of the way though. I think One Punch Man is a very good anime. One of the best of this decade by far. It's hilarious, badass, awesome, cool, all those synonyms, while also having a very human story with themes that I think a lot of us can relate to. The theme of lacking purpose and wanting something that can challenge you in Saitama's character, wanting to protect others and become a symbol for peace despite your own weakness, like Moomen Rider, or following another's inspiration because you can't find meaningful ways to improve like Genos. These are all incredible themes packed in fairly simple to understand characters.

Is it overhyped? Sure. So are a lot of great anime. But is it overrated? I would say no. Granted, I do wish that its far superior, less popular relative, Mob Psycho 100 would get more attention.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:35 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
^

It took every fiber of my being to prevent myself from saying something similar.

Honestly, to someone, Fullmetal Alchemist (either one) could be considered overhyped. Let's just get this out of the way though. I think One Punch Man is a very good anime. One of the best of this decade by far. It's hilarious, badass, awesome, cool, all those synonyms, while also having a very human story with themes that I think a lot of us can relate to. The theme of lacking purpose and wanting something that can challenge you in Saitama's character, wanting to protect others and become a symbol for peace despite your own weakness, like Moomen Rider, or following another's inspiration because you can't find meaningful ways to improve like Genos. These are all incredible themes packed in fairly simple to understand characters.

Is it overhyped? Sure. So are a lot of great anime. But is it overrated? I would say no. Granted, I do wish that its far superior, less popular relative, Mob Psycho 100 would get more attention.

YES. THIS.

Personally, I preferred MP100 to OPM when I decided to sit down and watch both. However, I do think that the latter anime will resonate far more with me once I enter the corporate workforce, since that show is primarily about the ennui and banality of Japanese adulthood. (Remember, in Japan, you have no life outside of your job).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote
No, I don't think One Punch Man is over hyped at all. I fully understand why it is so popular with a lot viewers. Can't wait for more of it.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
One Punch Man manga/show is one of the most entertaining things I ever came across. I don't know what it makes it so addictive but it is really a masterpiece in terms of entertainment.

Of course, it's a very different type of thing from those hard hitting philosophical dramas a-la Vinland Saga, Haibane Renmei, RahXephon or Madoka, so it shouldn't be compared to those in terms of being "hard hitting", which I why I think some people might think it's over hyped: it's not one of those things that feels very "powerful".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1