• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ushio & Tora English Dub Cast, Clip Revealed

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Well they did a good job here. Very fitting voice for both Ushio and Tora. About what I had in mind.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
YES they got Brett Weaver. And holly hell that is a lot of VAs, even had to pull in some more of Funimations regulars than usual.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Sounds good. I think I will enjoy rewatching this great show with the dub.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
This is going to be an awesome dub. Bringing Weaver back is a stroke of genius. :D
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh, this day just keeps getting better and better! Very Happy
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I don't understand is, why is Hakumen no Mono being voiced by a man, when it was voiced by a women in the original?
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I loved the manga, I'm a bit skeptical on this since it somehow covered 300+ chapters in just 39 episodes..
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Sir Daniel Fortesque wrote:
I loved the manga, I'm a bit skeptical on this since it somehow covered 300+ chapters in just 39 episodes..
well spoiler[the anime skipped some arcs just to have the second season be the final arc]
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
YES they got Brett Weaver. And holly hell that is a lot of VAs, even had to pull in some more of Funimations regulars than usual.
Funi and Sentai share like 75% of regular VAs though
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
I know it is very common to see a few of Sentais do regular work for Funi, Monica Rial does more work there at the moment then at Sentai. But you see very few VAs from Funi work at Sentai, i don't think I've even seen Ian in a Sentai dub before.
I've heard from manga readers that a lot of the monster of the week chapters from early on were removed and one story arc was removed. I don't know how important it was.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:51 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Not really. I'd say it's more like 30%.

Monica Rial, Josh Grelle (who isn't at Sentai as much as he used to be I think), Luci Christian (whose really only at Funi if it's MHA or One Piece), Brittney Karbowski, David Wald, and the Ayers brothers (more Greg than Chris unless it's Dragon Ball related) go back and forth because they started at Sentai when it was still ADV.

Funi regulars like Tia Ballard, Terry Doty, Jad Saxton, Ian Sinclair, Austin Tindle, and a few others only started recently getting Sentai roles like a couple of years ago. There are still a bunch of actors in their pool who haven't been to Sentai yet.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Nice cast but that sure is a lot of doubling up on casting. Some of them have at least 5 roles
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:17 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
The only thing I don't understand is, why is Hakumen no Mono being voiced by a man, when it was voiced by a women in the original?

Probably because it's genderless. I wonder, though, if John Swasey can do that kind of ambiguous voice or they're just going to have him go with his usual manly voice like he did for Kumatetsu. I think Chris Ayres would have been a solid choice given how brilliantly he voices Frieza.
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
I've heard from manga readers that a lot of the monster of the week chapters from early on were removed and one story arc was removed. I don't know how important it was.

The truth is that they were not really important arcs, it just helped make Ushio's journey longer and harder. He made friends that never appeared in the show, but they were not really important.
Except for one,spoiler[ the "Western Bakemono War". It introduced some characters that appear in episode 27 of the show without proper introduction and brings several characters back.]

How do you think the show compares to the manga then? Is it worth the hefty price tag?
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:

The truth is that they were not really important arcs, it just helped make Ushio's journey longer and harder. He made friends that never appeared in the show, but they were not really important.
Except for one,spoiler[ the "Western Bakemono War". It introduced some characters that appear in episode 27 of the show without proper introduction and brings several characters back.]

How do you think the show compares to the manga then? Is it worth the hefty price tag?

I don't know much of anything about the manga but I watched both seasons of the anime and thought it was pretty great so I'd say it's worth seeing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3