• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Why is the Post-Apocalypse in Girls' Last Tour So Comforting?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klv
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I see that Amazon Strike has fixed their subtitles. Now they just have to let prime users rent their stuff and I'd totally watch it! This anime really looks like something I would enjoy.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Disasters serve the narrative function of crucible, and Girls' Last Tour presents human goodness making it through the crucible completely unscathed.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
klv wrote:
I see that Amazon Strike has fixed their subtitles. Now they just have to let prime users rent their stuff and I'd totally watch it! This anime really looks like something I would enjoy.

Come to the dark side my child and fulfill your destiny!
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Girls' Last Tour is comforting because it shows us a non-hectic side of a post-apocalypse world. There's nothing going on and it's easy to take everything in. Anime smile
NormanS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I also really enjoy the soundtrack in Girls' last tour. I think its even better than MiA.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Girls' Last Tour is comforting because it shows us a non-hectic side of a post-apocalypse world. There's nothing going on and it's easy to take everything in. Anime smile

Perhaps a mild comfort to the viewer, in light of the present, interesting ways of the world...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Well compared to the craziness of the post-apocalypse of Fist of the North Star, yes I guess it's comforting. Why is Fist of the North Star basically my only go to thought when I think of anime post-apocalypse shows?

Last edited by Codeanime93 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yazu13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
NormanS wrote:
I also really enjoy the soundtrack in Girls' last tour. I think its even better than MiA.

Them's fightin' words.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
NormanS wrote:

Woah let's not get crazy now.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote
NormanS wrote:

Yeah, I’m not so sure about that, at least not yet anyway. It’s a bit too early for such a statement as I’ve yet to hear a song in GLT that can topple the composition, “Tomorrow” from MiA. Until, at the very least, that happens, there will be many disagreements coming your way.

Besides that, I’ve been really enjoying GLT since it’s premiere and is one of my favorites from this Fall season.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I think that should be:

- We've got a full tank of gas, half a crate of rations, it's dark out, and we're wearing helmets.
- Hit it!

Also as someone commented elsewhere: if Tsutomu Nihei had made a moe Blame!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
Why is Fist of the North Star basically my only go to thought when I think of anime post-apocalypse shows?

Because it has a bad ass main character, good art (well the manga anyway), and over the top violence.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't get the "comfort" vibe from this. I think they are reacting to the obviously laid-back story, pacing and simple art style. Compare with Flying Witch...
lostbirdinatree

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I actually have a very important question pertaining to this: is this the first canonical anime dab?

Well, there's this (from Binan Koukou Chikyuu Boueibu LOVE! LOVE!), which is close enough, right?

Anyways, Girls' Last Tour is iyashikei until it throws in the more obvious signs it's a post-apocalyptic show halfway through segments (e.g. spoiler[ burning the Akutagawa book ] in episode 2). After that, it becomes somewhat uncomfortable and even scary, because you wonder when the show is set on a meta level - is it set in our world, or an alternate reality?

As for the humour, it flies over my head quite a bit, but I applaud the show for trying.
RyuuGP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:06 am Reply with quote
NormanS wrote:

I think i kind of understand that feeling. Although MiA's soundtracks are definitely very beautiful, for me it's sometimes feels a bit too powerful. So sometimes i was distracted by the OST rather than watching the anime. For GLT however, the soundtracks although beautiful, they can blend with the anime better. Many times in GLT i didn't realize that the OST is so beautiful until watching it 2nd times, i was so absorbed into the atmosphere of the anime. For me that's the art of making (and directing) OST, OST is used to deliver the feeling of certain scenes, not the main attraction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2