Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Ecchi Sketches


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Chiyosuke



Joined: 06 Oct 2003
Posts: 274
Location: Nashville, TN (I was Kurious)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
John let Kitty go!? WTF is goin on with the world!?!?!?!?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Chrno2



Joined: 28 May 2004
Posts: 5855
Location: USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
When I heard this news I was surprised. Heard it on my Twitter. I was like WHAT? But then again it's not like I follow the "hentai" scene. But I was curious if stuff was still be acquired and released.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Greed1914
Get off my lawn!Get off my lawn!


Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 2941
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
It isn't all that surprising. Media Blasters has barely been active for years, so this purchase was probably a very good deal on both sides.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CatSword



Joined: 01 Jul 2014
Posts: 1030
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I was looking in Fakku's online store a while ago and those skateboards made me think "Who is buying that?" A lot of people, apparently. Surprised

Facebook deleted Fakku's page? That's bizarre, as Kitty Media has managed to keep theirs up. (NSFW? They keep things pretty clean, which is probably why they've managed to stay up.)

I feel like Spencer's Gifts might be willing to sell some Fakku merchandise. They already sell plenty of sexual stuff as well as some anime T-shirts.

I would like to see Fakku license some borderline H content that other companies have shied away from like DEAD Tube and Nana to Kaoru.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
configspace



Joined: 16 Aug 2008
Posts: 3483
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:10 pm Reply with quote
It's really interesting and rare that FAKKU took no VC or outside investment, although maybe that's more expected in this niche. Did Jacob use his own money too? I'm just glad that they're successful enough to remain financially independent, even if operating very lean. I do feel their frustration about being very limited in their outlet channels because of being associated with porn of the live-action type as opposed to erotic art. The skateboards are surprisingly PG-13 though.

As for mobile apps, one alternative that's a hassle is side loading, but payment is still a problem. The other way may be to publish through a neutral mobile app as third party content, but honestly best way IMO is just to make a really advance mobile version of the website.

As far as competing with piracy, they have an an edge an simulpublishing for Wanni serializations, pro subs, all-in-one subscriptions and most of all, uncensored works. I'm sure the later realization that supporting the artists and publishers would be the only way to bring over uncensored versions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 9285
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
It isn't all that surprising. Media Blasters has barely been active for years, so this purchase was probably a very good deal on both sides.

It's nice to keep that catalog alive, but it is mostly all 10-20 year old 4:3 material, and a lot of Vanilla Series dross. Sure there's a few big titles like Bible Black, and favorites of mine like Soreyuke! Marin-chan, Front Innocent, Bondage Game, and some others, isn't this just one company acquiring catalogs from another company like we've seen before?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
relyat08



Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 3987
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:36 pm Reply with quote
It really sucks how the world treats this kind of thing. You don't realize how prude and backward a lot of society is until you try to pay for your damn porn and realize that many digital services simply won't let you do it at all. And then you have the App situation. It makes me sad for the world. I don't really read or watch much porn, honestly, but I've thought about getting a Fakku subscription just to support them. I'd probably be more inclined if it wasn't as expensive as it is, but I get it.


CatSword wrote:
I was looking in Fakku's online store a while ago and those skateboards made me think "Who is buying that?" A lot of people, apparently. Surprised


If I skateboarded I'd buy one. I love that kind of expression, personally.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Ojamajo LimePie



Joined: 09 Nov 2007
Posts: 679
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Regarding FS/N, I don't get why no one has licensed the 15+ version for translation, given the series' popularity. It's available for PC, Vita, and iOS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gravediggernalk



Joined: 13 Oct 2013
Posts: 240
Location: Alabama
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:25 am Reply with quote
The main meaning of my question got skipped over.

@GravediggerNALK wrote:
With the announced expansion into eroge, how far back (release date) are you willing to go for licenses? Bible Black, Tsukihime, & F/$N, for example, are approaching 20 years old, but they're considered classics by many.


I wasn't really asking about the prospect of licensing Bible Black, Tsukihime, or Fate/stay Night, but about how old is too old (if there is a limit) for the eroge that they're willing to license. I used those three titles because, while they have name recognition, they're also approaching 20-years-old. As an extreme example, would Rance (1989) not be given a second thought if available, or does it need to be something as recent as a specific 20XX?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 9285
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of skateboards, what are the possibility of longboards? Or is it just easier to keep the production to regular boards since they're all uniform?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ojamajo LimePie



Joined: 09 Nov 2007
Posts: 679
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:40 pm Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:
I wasn't really asking about the prospect of licensing Bible Black, Tsukihime, or Fate/stay Night, but about how old is too old (if there is a limit) for the eroge that they're willing to license. I used those three titles because, while they have name recognition, they're also approaching 20-years-old. As an extreme example, would Rance (1989) not be given a second thought if available, or does it need to be something as recent as a specific 20XX?


Most of the pre-2000 titles that are well-known to English-speaking audiences, including the original Rance, have remakes that would probably be licensed instead. The only ones I can only think of that don't are ToHeart and Kanon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
horseradish
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 27 Oct 2015
Posts: 230
Location: SF Bay Area
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for licensing Shintaro Kago's Super Dimensional Love Gun. I hope more guro titles will be added to FAKKU's catalog and published over here in general. I'm looking forward to the Dementia 21 release from Fantagraphics. I don't skateboard, but it's tempting to get the Shintaro Kago x FAKKU deck just to hang on a wall somewhere. Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
CANimeFan88



Joined: 19 Feb 2016
Posts: 230
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:53 pm Reply with quote
If I submitted a question at the end of their interview, I'd ask:

What actors/actresses will you look into and cast in some upcoming dubs of newly licensed hentai titles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Velshtein



Joined: 27 Oct 2015
Posts: 72
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
It really sucks how the world treats this kind of thing. You don't realize how prude and backward a lot of society is until you try to pay for your damn porn and realize that many digital services simply won't let you do it at all. And then you have the App situation. It makes me sad for the world. I don't really read or watch much porn, honestly, but I've thought about getting a Fakku subscription just to support them. I'd probably be more inclined if it wasn't as expensive as it is, but I get it.

Is it really that big a deal that most digital services don't want to support a niche category of porn?

relyat08 wrote:
CatSword wrote:
I was looking in Fakku's online store a while ago and those skateboards made me think "Who is buying that?" A lot of people, apparently. Surprised

If I skateboarded I'd buy one. I love that kind of expression, personally.

Using a skateboard in public with porn/ecchi images on it is asking for negative attention.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
relyat08



Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 3987
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Velshtein wrote:

Is it really that big a deal that most digital services don't want to support a niche category of porn?


It's not just hentai, it's any adult content. And yes, it is a big deal when large powerful companies or governments decide they know what is best for people. Historically, they are very often wrong.

Quote:

Using a skateboard in public with porn/ecchi images on it is asking for negative attention.


And that is almost literally the point. It is a way to make a statement about how society views things that they've been taught are bad, even when said things are 100% harmless.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group