• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hakyū Hōshin Engi (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:23 am Reply with quote

Hakyū Hōshin Engi (TV)

Genres: adventure

Plot Summary: When his clan is wiped out by a beautiful demon, young Taikobo finds himself in charge of the mysterious Houshin Project. Its mission: find all immortals living in the human world and seal them away forever. But who do you trust—and whose side are you really on—when you've been trained to hunt demons by a demon?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quote
This was an interesting start. From that catchy OP song to the character cast and colorful world setting, it seems like a show that I think has a lot of potential.

The way they introduced the characters so far is interesting, almost all of them stand out in some way or another especially Dakki with her dark intentions. I'm even interested in knowing more about Taikoubou with his character role.

I guess Dakki is going to be the main antagonist in their world judging on the story so far.

Overall, interesting stuff. I like the Chinese style of the setting honestly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1 was a pretty horrible mess. Sure some background art and a couple action stuff fine, but almost everything else was just so bad that I can't believe that this was not done by the likes of Tencent. Character designs are just off, that I can't get what they are trying to convey with those giant gloves and shoes. The progress of the plot makes no sense: he can't train, so is sent to fight instead, he is unable to fight the first enemy, so he goes after the final boss, his people get executed for his acts, but the reason he was on this journey before was that his village was slaughtered or something. That one guy said he wanted to get behind the main character because his family had been working for the emperor for generations, but didn't they say the villain had been involved for generations also?

This looks among the first that I can easily say that I will be unlikely to watch more of this season.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:35 am Reply with quote
Ugh. That first episode was such a bummer. I LOVE the manga so much, and was really hoping it would get the Ushio & Tora treatment. I had a feeling this was in trouble when they announced it would be 23 episodes for a series that’s 23 volumes (the first episode flew through the first volume and into some of the second volume). Also the initial character designs they revealed showed characters that shouldn’t really appear until deep in the series.
And that OP was earsplitting and felt like a song on fast forward. So I guess it’s appropriate for the show.

The aesthetic is spot on though. It seems to be offputting to some, but it really is the manga come to life, so I’m glad for that at least. I’ll keep watching in hopes that the pace evens out, and if not, it’ll at least be nice to see scenes from the manga animated (the ones that don’t get completely skipped over).
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering if they might be trying to speed through what the first anime already covered, trying to get to the new stuff?
Tyoki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:21 am Reply with quote
I haven't started the new series for this but I remember really loving the manga series. Reading the comments however I'm guessing the anime is doing to hot? If so that's a real bummer
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1