• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eastern lossless digital music stores

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Title basically says it. I am trying my best to eschew physical media in favour of high-quality digital downloads, both for space conservation and because compact discs are obsolete as a format (and retain market viability largely for the same reasons DVD's do).

I have accounts on 7digital, Bandcamp, Qobuz, and Tidal. The problem? These services are generally geared towards western music, and feature a general dearth of eastern stuff, be it popular music, soundtracks, or what have you. These serve my needs most of the time because most of my stuff comes from Europe, but I'm still one of the weebiest weebs who ever weebed and I want my fix every so often.

I found Ototoy while searching for a 夢中夢 record, and this is a start. I am wondering if there are any other options.

Please note that I am looking for legal digital downloads. I am well aware that there are thousands of goddamn blogs, forums, fan sites and what have you dedicated to sharing pirated OST material for free. That is not for what I am here. I am also not looking for what are exclusively streaming services. Those are volatile and subscription-based and not my forté. Tidal is listed above because, contrary to popular belief, they have a store. I only go through services which allow me to download local copies of what I buy.

Emphasis also on the fact that Amazon Japan, the iTunes Music Store, and the like do not cut it because they only offer lossy content (MP3, M4A, etc). I am looking for lossless (ALAC, FLAC, WAV, etc).
horseradish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:48 pm Reply with quote
There's mora, RecoChoku, and music.jp in addition to Ototoy. They offer FLAC and AAC. MelOn is probably the largest South Korean store, but I think a South Korean phone number is required for registration.

Last edited by horseradish on Mon May 04, 2020 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gatherum

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate the input! Very Happy

Hm. Gotta hand it to Melon; their registration is more secure than that of Qobuz in terms of keeping foreigners out. With Qobuz, all I had to do was register through a UK proxy site. Melon wants a local mobile phone number and a verification code.

However, there might be a way around this via their Kakao integration. I'll report back with an update after I test it out.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:27 am Reply with quote
So I was able to log in to Melon via Kakao and validate my account through ObtGame, but could not purchase anything because even their check-out options like Samsung Pay require a mobile phone verification. One can configure their Apple ID to enable Apple Pay purchases in conjunction with an older, pre-4.3.1 version of the Melon app on iOS to purchase subscriptions, or go through ObtGame for them, but they don't allow for the acquisition of their FLAC files--only their MP3's. This set-up appears to be a commonality in South Korean digital music stores, to include Bugs, Genie, Soribada, et cetera.

Unfortunate, really. South Koreans don't fudge around with their regional licensing, it seems. Only way around any of this is through a resident middle-person.
horseradish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:01 am Reply with quote
I've never used ObtGame before. I assume validating the account ($9.99 verified MelOn account) and being able to buy MP3s ($16 MelOn Pass) required at least $25.99? That's too bad. Is a virtual phone number an option? Hope the Japanese store options are less problematic. Sad
Gatherum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:07 am Reply with quote
horseradish wrote:
I've never used ObtGame before. I assume validating the account ($9.99 verified MelOn account) and being able to buy MP3s ($16 MelOn Pass) required at least $25.99? That's too bad. Is a virtual phone number an option? Hope the Japanese store options are less problematic. Sad

Going through ObtGame to verify my account and enable access to songs restricted to people 19 and above cost me USD$12.99. I did not purchase a streaming or download subscription, again, because those don't grant access to the FLAC's.

Going through ObtGame for said subscriptions costs a minimum of USD$17.99. They add small amounts, depending upon what you want. For a download pass of thirty songs (in MP3), it's +USD$1.00, and spirals up from there.

It's a little more expensive than if one were to pay Melon directly for them, but not by a whole lot.
horseradish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:26 am Reply with quote
Seems odd that MP3 files are available whereas FLAC files aren't?

Last edited by horseradish on Mon May 04, 2020 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gatherum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:37 am Reply with quote
Because FLAC's are sold at a higher price point than their MP3 counterparts. Melon could get around this by simply selling subscriptions priced to include the FLAC's, but they don't. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
horseradish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:43 am Reply with quote
...why does MelOn require a subscription to buy and download music files at all? Do South Koreans pay subscriptions to simply buy and download music files too? I thought that was meant to be a bundle with streaming....

Because FLAC files are more expensive than MP3 files, I figured a MelOn subscription would offer both formats. Customers who are used to MP3 files and don't know or care about FLAC files would be extra profit...maybe? For example, why give them the choice between $5/mo for MP3 downloads or $8/mo for FLAC downloads when MelOn could force everyone to pay $8/mo for both?

I assume lossless formats are more expensive than lossy formats because customers are paying for higher quality content and therefore would acquiesce to higher prices. But are there additional labor or costs for selling FLAC files versus MP3 files similar to Blu-ray versus DVD? How does offering only MP3 subscription make sense? Do I make sense? Brain tired, need sleep...
Gatherum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:31 am Reply with quote
horseradish wrote:
...why does MelOn require a subscription to buy and download music files at all? Do South Koreans pay subscriptions to simply buy and download music files too? I thought that was meant to be a bundle with streaming....

They don't. You can buy them without subscribing, but it takes you to check-out--through which I cannot get because, again, the payment options all want me to verify my South Korean mobile number, or are otherwise not accessible.

horseradish wrote:
I assume lossless formats are more expensive than lossy formats because customers are paying for higher quality content and therefore would acquiesce to higher prices. But are there additional labor or costs for selling FLAC files versus MP3 files similar to Blu-ray versus DVD? How does offering only MP3 subscription make sense? Do I make sense? Brain tired, need sleep...

Pretty much answered your own question, there. Razz
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Anybody know where one might find a legal lossless digital download of Dir En Grey's Arche? I've found 7digital listings for Uroboros and Dum Spiro Spero, and I'm assuming that this is because both were put out by The End Records. Arche, on the other hand, was distributed by Firewall Div., a Japanese label whose parent company's web site is a blank page.
horseradish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Arche is listed for 16-bit/44.1kHz FLAC on 7digital UK and 7digital Luxembourg.

This is probably an old website that is now offline:
http://www.free-will.co.jp/

The current website seems to be here:
http://www.f-w-d.co.jp/label.html
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Ah! Thank you! n.n
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1