• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation's Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid BD/DVD Includes OVA Episode

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:46 am Reply with quote
A shame they weren’t able to dub it in time. I guess it wasn’t worth gathering all the VAs for a single episode. This wouldn’t have happened if CR got the OVA closer to the Japanese release as is the case with Interviews with Monster Girls.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:15 am Reply with quote
I bet the ensuing storm ends up getting this release pushed back a few months until a dub is produced.

Or do what Sentai did with hotd and release a cheap ova only release later.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:34 am Reply with quote
VanGosroth wrote:
I bet the ensuing storm ends up getting this release pushed back a few months until a dub is produced.

Or do what Sentai did with hotd and release a cheap ova only release later.

Well the article said that the OVA will be subbed, but I wouldn't have minded it being pushed back for a dub if that happened. Though I guess they didn't want to ruin preorders by pushing it back.[/code]
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:43 am Reply with quote
I'm glad there is a sub-only version, because I will not buy the Dubbed fter the stunt they did with the English release.
SUPER_METR0lD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:02 am Reply with quote
It seems kind of pointless without the dub? Hopefully they delay the release to include one.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:36 am Reply with quote
For me a Dub is less and less needed. I don't use it on Funimation's New Game release. It won't be a problem to do the same on Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid.

Mark Gosdin
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:37 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
I'm glad there is a sub-only version, because I will not buy the Dubbed fter the stunt they did with the English release.

You mean the stunt that was a complete non issue and people blew way out of proportion?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:54 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
A shame they weren’t able to dub it in time. I guess it wasn’t worth gathering all the VAs for a single episode. This wouldn’t have happened if CR got the OVA closer to the Japanese release as is the case with Interviews with Monster Girls.

Yeah, it would have been nice, and I would have been fine waiting for a dub. I'm actually surprised it's on there at all considering Crunchyroll announced the OVA license very recently. I would have been disappointed if that wasn't the case for Interviews since Crunchyroll acquired that not long after the broadcast finished, so they had plenty of time to include it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:26 am Reply with quote
Good on them for including the OVA in the disc release. Sub only works for me because I have minuscule interest in the series' English dub.
kemory

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
SWAnimefan wrote:

You mean the stunt that was a complete non issue and people blew way out of proportion?

I wouldn't say it was a non issue, i'll concede that some people took it too far, and it wasn't a big enough problem to boycott the release or anything, however it still shouldn't of happened. We live in a post 4kidz world where localization doesn't equal Americanization you should keep dubs as close to the original as possible. Anime is one of the last bastions of true escapism left, we watch it to escape reality and I don't want unnecessary political opinions thrown into it. It alienates a large portion of the audience, Kobayashi Dragon Maid has nothing to do with politics and a particular persons opinions shouldn't be thrown into the script.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:36 pm Reply with quote
kemory wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
SWAnimefan wrote:

I wouldn't say it was a non issue, i'll concede that some people took it too far, and it wasn't a big enough problem to boycott the release or anything, however it still shouldn't of happened. We live in a post 4kidz world where localization doesn't equal Americanization you should keep dubs as close to the original as possible. Anime is one of the last bastions of true escapism left, we watch it to escape reality and I don't want unnecessary political opinions thrown into it. It alienates a large portion of the audience, Kobayashi Dragon Maid has nothing to do with politics and a particular persons opinions shouldn't be thrown into the script.

Except there were no politics in it. The series made a joke, it didn't stick, sImple as that. Everybody saying that it was politically charged were just looking for something to complain about. It was nowhere near that deep. Not everybody has an agenda. The original intention of the scene was still there and detracted nothing from the show as a whole.

Anime fans are way too soft nowadays about things that don't matter. The "Gamergate" line in Prison School I agree was completely unnecessary and shouldn't have been added, I would even concede that the line in Hajimete no Gal was also a little iffy, but the line we are talking about was nowhere near as egregious as those two and will probably be changed in the home release anyway.
Levonr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote
A little disappointing the OVA won't be dubbed but not a big deal, just like having the script not be completely accurate isn't a big deal to me. Even if one or two lines make me cringe its a pretty minor issue to make a big complaint over. I love the performances and it was funny, that's all I wanted.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:07 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:

The OVA is the only episode that will be sub-only on the home video release.
coates32
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I will still by this show on home video, but I would have preferred if the ova was dubbed, even if Funi had to either delay this release or do a single ova release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1