• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tobu Zoo Prepares New Anime Collaboration with Bungō Stray Dogs

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
portgas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:32 am Reply with quote
Atsushi Nakajima is a Japanese author. One of his works is a collection of short stories, The Moon Over the Mountain, in which a tiger is prominent. Not an original character.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:56 am Reply with quote
Ugh, there goes any respect I have for that zoo, if they're keeping a population of white tigers they're most likely involved in breeding them.

White tiger breeding is terrible. It's a rare enough color morph caused by multiple recessive traits that less than a handful have been caught in the wild and they have to do stuff like breed parent to child to make sure they get white tigers out of a litter. They're inbred enough for every decent looking one (I say decent because all are at least somewhat cross-eyed and may have minor deformities that aren't immediately noticeable to people unfamiliar with a healthy tiger from a line that hasn't been inbred for generations) there's more that came out deformed or too sickly to look properly majestic. Even more wind up aborted in uterus for being unviable, stillborn, or die before adulthood because they're inbred to the point they're generally that unhealthy. Additionally all captive white tigers are bengal/Siberian crosses making them worthless for conservation purposes.

White tiger breeding is ultimately done for one thing, money at the expense of what should be a majestic creature we should be working to save by breeding healthy pure bloodlines of.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1