• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Olympic Gold Skater Yuzuru Hanyu Invites Tokyo Ghoul's Kaneki to Eat Him

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh my!!!

Now this is strange.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:29 pm Reply with quote
But he's a skater, there's no meat on him! It's like eating a gymnast! Razz
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:14 pm Reply with quote
What the hell.
Songster01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hot off his Olympic gold medal win

That's second Olympic gold medal win to us mere mortals! Smile

Sounds like Yuzuru had fun playing in the world of TG! He works himself so bloody relentlessly that I'm so glad he is able to have enough time to enjoy something not tied to his training and performances. It may have even helped him as he's gone through the ongoing and difficult rehab on his right knee and ankle.

His friend, OSM Evgenia Medvedeva is also an otaku who adores Sailor Moon and Yuri on Ice, and Yuzuru's kouhai, OSM Shoma Uno, is very much into gaming and has at least a couple items of YOI merch, including a fuzzy Makkachin key ring on his equipment pack. A number of other elite skaters enjoy YOI, including Eric Radford (a Canadian pairs skater with partner Meagan Duhamel), the first openly gay man to win gold at the Winter Olympics, so it's likely some of them are into other anime and/or manga. So a figure skating competition can also be a meetup of otaku. Very Happy
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:34 am Reply with quote
Songster01 wrote:
[. A number of other elite skaters enjoy YOI, including Eric Radford (a Canadian pairs skater with partner Meagan Duhamel),

Do you have a link for this? I've seen many skaters tweet about enjoying YOI, but I hadn't heard about Eric, I'd love to see it myself
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:23 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Songster01 wrote:
[. A number of other elite skaters enjoy YOI, including Eric Radford (a Canadian pairs skater with partner Meagan Duhamel),

Do you have a link for this? I've seen many skaters tweet about enjoying YOI, but I hadn't heard about Eric, I'd love to see it myself

I saw him tag a recent picture of himself, Yuzu, and Misha at the Olympic gala practices as Yuri on Ice, but maybe there's something else?

Actually if that's true it makes almost all the big openly gay skaters prominent in the field right now YOI fans. Adam Rippon is a fan to the point he bought a Victuuri shirt and has said 'if YOI isn't gay neither am I', there's Johnny Weir of course, and now Eric.

As for Shoma, in addition to the Makkachin keychain he's also been pictured with a large Makkachin plus. Shoma is really into anime/manga so it's not surprising he watched YOI.

Regarding the initial article, it's very silly but I'm glad to see Yuzu having fun like this. He skated through the entire Olympics, only able to really even function due to painkillers.
Songster01

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:38 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Songster01 wrote:

It's one definite and one potential reference in a series of tweets Eric posted with photos and a video of him, Yuzuru Hanyu, and Misha Ge glaming it up for the camera at a rehearsal for the exhibition gala. This first tweet in the set is tagged yurionice:
https://twitter.com/Rad85E/status/967290392436654080 This tweet went viral and about a day ago FUNI offered Eric a limited edition copy of YOI, which he gratefully accepted (currently it's the first comment on the Tweet). With luck he may post a photo once it arrives.

Eric also posted an LQ video of the fun and finally another still of him and Yuzuru entitled, "Victor's Secret Models". That certainly is a reference to Victoria's Secret, but considering the first tweet, it might also be a sly YOI reference. So far, however, he has not replied to the burning question of whether he will be collaborating with Mr. Nikiforov in fashion photoshoots after his retirement. Laughing
ETA:
Link: https://twitter.com/Rad85E/status/967630610515685376
Shota4Lyfe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:07 am Reply with quote
"Please eat me" YUZURU HANYU 2018
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:21 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like the most awkward interview ever, but still lots of fun. Anime hyper
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Vore!!! On Ice

...Can't believe no one made that joke before me...Razz Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Everyone else: *talking about a series Hanae isn't even in*

Me: I wonder if Yuzu likes StarMyu or SolidS... Yuzu and Rikka together would be way too much beauty for the world to handle.
Songster01

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:12 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Songster01 wrote:

Quickly going to add that Joe Johnson also enthusiastically accepted a copy of the BDs from the same FUNI PR guy, and he also sent Adam Rippon a tweet that he mailed a copy for every member of the US FS Olympic team care of USFSA. Adam hasn't replied but you can imagine he is suddenly a very very busy man. On Instagram he let it be known he is in Hollywood so hopefully Adam now has a team to handle his social media which has blown up so much since the early part of the skating season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1