• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mob Psycho 100

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Very fun series. Definitely living up to the hype so far and I'm glad they are keeping the manga art style in tact with the adaptation. I really wonder how much they will adapt but they are introducing the characters nicely so far. Action is stylistic and I think Mondays will be pretty entertaining this season Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blankslate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote
This series is perfectly middle-of-the-road to me.
While the direction and animation are second to none, the actual content leaves a lot to be desired. The jokes aren't very funny, dramatic tension never builds, and the action (so far) consists of Mob standing and holding his hand up and the spirit gets destroyed in a flashy effect.
This was my most anticipated Summer 2016 anime, and it's left me pretty disappointed. I don't mean to dampen other people's enthusiasm though!
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
After watching the first two episodes, I think it's a good show, that feels a bit emotionally held back by maybe an inability to just let loose and have fun. It's been on the edge of reminding me of the sort of silly fun humor that I used to enjoy from anime back in the mid-90's, but Mob's flat personality, and the overall restrained approach to the humor, keeps making me wait for an explosion of energy and fast-paced comedy that just never materializes. That said, the second episode moved a bit more in that direction though, so I'm hopeful the series keeps staying true to its sincerity, which still makes it the biggest draw of the season for me (well, next to Thunderbolt Fantasy at least).
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Mixed on it so far. The direction and animation are fantastic.Mob is a likable main character so far (I really enjoy the relationship between and Reigen). The big issue is the humor,which is the typical anime delivery of "make a stupid face and yell",which this show has a lot of. I do hope for future episodes to deal more Mob's anxieties of just trying to find his place like the second half of episode 2.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:24 pm Reply with quote
The first two episodes were okay, but not as good as I expected. There were some funny jokes, but I just thought Reigen was kind of annoying and Mob felt like a toned down Saitama. He just didn't have enough energy to him. The animation was great, but I'm not a huge fan of ONE's art style since it's pretty plain and every face looks more or less the same. I'll probably keep watching it, but Mob Psycho definitely isn't the next One Punch Man.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
It's everything I hoped for and better. I know these earlier parts aren't the exactly best and the pacing in Mob Psycho is pretty weird even in the manga, but these episodes have fueled enough hype in me for this to be a blast every week.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying this a lot so far. Echoing what others have said, the animation and direction is great, and I love the art style. I like Reigen and Mob as characters a lot already, too, and I love the OP and ED. The humor's a bit hit or miss for me, but with more hits than misses. I was particularly impressed by the end of episode 2, with Mob's unexpected decision, and how the episode just ends right there. The dramatic and emotional aspects of the show also show a lot of potential.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I though it was decent but the last gag of episode 2 was golden, really hope they keep that in rather than just reverse that next episode. Otherwise there's nothing particularly special about it, most joke are decent but nothing special. The art style is fairly unique but nothing to write home about.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:16 am Reply with quote
I'm one of those who aren't too impressed by this show. I liked ONe Punch Man -- the comedy worked well, the plot was engaging, and the action sequences were spectacular. This show, however, while has the visuals (both art and quality), the plot feels a bit mundane and the humor isn't quite as strong as OPM's.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:38 am Reply with quote
The thing about one punch man (the televised version) is that it's basically the work of 2 authors, not just one. One did the original story/art and then Murata did it with his own art style, however he also adapted the story and didn't do a direct translation, basically taking One's original and refining it. If you check the manga's they do have a noticeable number of differences as they go on.

That said I do agree that I enjoy one punch man more, but this show is still pretty enjoyable, it's probably that includes elements from series like slice of life school stuff which is so common place in anime that it feels less interesting because of that.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I though it was decent but the last gag of episode 2 was golden, really hope they keep that in rather than just reverse that next episode.

Yeah, that was priceless, though i woudn't be surprised if Mob changed his mind after actually spending some time with the Body Improvement Club... Laughing

This show is a lot of fun and the characters are interesting. Reigen is a bit of an jerk but he does seem to care about Mob in his own way and Mob is probably not as naive as he seems. I wonder how much he actually sees through Reigens's act because despite calling him "sensei", he doesn't really seem to expect Reigen to teach him all that much...
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for linking that interview in the review Nick. That was really informative. And a lot of those things just slip right by me.
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:29 am Reply with quote
I am extremely disappointed with the fact that this series gets so little attention compared to one punch man. I love Opm but I always thought of mob psycho to be ones better series overall and it deserves more recognition. Especially because the adaptation so far has been really good

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:51 am Reply with quote
Mob Psycho has a lot less initial impact than One Punch Man. Sure both technically and narrative the story is fine, but it's not up to the level the OPM had. Madhouse really went all out with the production values even without a giagantic budget, they put a ton of love into the project which showed. The music was also amazing and really helped each scene to be even more amazing and the voice actors carrier each part really well. One Punch Man is one of those series that just had a ton of effort put into every single aspect of the show, whereas Mob Pyscho is "merely" a good show so far in comparison. That could change, as I have not read the manga, in anticipation of the anime, but we'll have to see.
LadiesMan69

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
if you aren't fan of episodic side story episode (which is what mob is right now), stay for a few more episode because its going to get a lot better.

https://youtu.be/Fe0DJvg3MJ8
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 14