• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Vic Mignogna [2018-05-09]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xchampion

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I've met Vic a few times already and he is just a really nice guy overall. My interactions have been nothing but pleasant.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Vic has actually played Edward three times as of now: They brought him back for the English dub of the live-action Fullmetal Alchemist movie.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:17 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
I've met Vic a few times already and he is just a really nice guy overall. My interactions have been nothing but pleasant.

Normally I would agree with you. I’ve seen him do a lot of nice things for fans at conventions, such as staying long past his autograph session to sign. But I’ve also seen him do some creepy things, especially when around young, possibly underage, cute girls/women.

My Vic story is that, during one of his appearances at SakuraCon, I was at Cheesecake Factory waiting in the lobby for a table when he came in. He initially was pissed off that they wouldn’t seat him right away, even though it was Easter and many others were already waiting for a table. In front of a full waiting room with many children present, he gets a call, becomes enraged and yelled “I don’t give an F—K what you have to do, just clear my schedule.” Yeah, no. This is not a pleasant man in the slightest. If you have to take a call like that in a restaurant, the courteous thing would be to step outside. And if you can’t do that, watch your language. The pleasant act is just that, an act. If it weren’t, why are there so many stories by other, most women attendees, who have seen another side of him. I doubt all of us are seeking attention, and if we were, why would we have a Vic story when we could focus our efforts on getting a good, TMZ-worthy story with a real celebrity? You have to ask yourself,, if this man is so pleasant, why have several conventions banned him?
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I just want to thank Vic for his work and for doing that interview.

As for....

Cutiebunny wrote:
xchampion wrote:

You have to ask yourself,, if this man is so pleasant, why have several conventions banned him?

Which conventions have banned him? You can't throw something like that out there without specifics. Where was he banned, and when?
Marakutanay

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:40 pm Reply with quote
"and Naruto keeps popping up."

Naruto NEVER stops popping up.
xchampion

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
I just want to thank Vic for his work and for doing that interview.

As for....

Cutiebunny wrote:
xchampion wrote:

You have to ask yourself,, if this man is so pleasant, why have several conventions banned him?

Which conventions have banned him? You can't throw something like that out there without specifics. Where was he banned, and when?

My local convention in Boise that is happening this month has him as a guest this year for the 3rd time I believe. Another convention I frequent every year in Salt Lake City has him as a guest again this year and it's his 4th time there I believe as well.

Since I go to both of these conventions every year I've seen him interact with fans a lot. He does give his fans hugs a lot, and his fans do tend to skew younger, but that doesn't mean he's a creeper necessarily. His fans don't seem to mind either. He still gets invited to cons. He still is getting work in the anime industry. The people he works with like him, his fans like him, and quite frankly I like him. I'm a 28 year old heterosexual male, so I'm not one of his obsessive fans either.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Great interview. That said, Mignogna is either a person you love or hate. I met him at a convention once and he was a really nice guy (Todd Haberkorn kept holding up his line). That said, he's had his share of controversy including those regarding religion and homophobia.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
xchampion wrote:

Normally I would agree with you. I’ve seen him do a lot of nice things for fans at conventions, such as staying long past his autograph session to sign. But I’ve also seen him do some creepy things, especially when around young, possibly underage, cute girls/women.

My Vic story is that, during one of his appearances at SakuraCon, I was at Cheesecake Factory waiting in the lobby for a table when he came in. He initially was pissed off that they wouldn’t seat him right away, even though it was Easter and many others were already waiting for a table. In front of a full waiting room with many children present, he gets a call, becomes enraged and yelled “I don’t give an F—K what you have to do, just clear my schedule.” Yeah, no. This is not a pleasant man in the slightest. If you have to take a call like that in a restaurant, the courteous thing would be to step outside. And if you can’t do that, watch your language. The pleasant act is just that, an act.

Everyone has their bad days. I don't think it's fair to judge him and say that any niceness is an act based on one phone call.
grooven

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote
One of my teachers worked with him on a project (Star Trek). I go to an animation school and he had done the special effects for the series. I have been told he is like a bad girlfriend who won't leave you the hell alone calling non-stop.

However, he says he's a nice guy outside of work, great to fans, but a nightmare to work with. So I believe that phone call happened. No doubt about it.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Every Vic M. interview or article that involves him always involves people talking crap about how he acted at a con or whatever when the article really has nothing to do with it. Leave it alone. I’ve had bad experiences with some VA’s, but I don’t keep bringing it up in every article they’re in.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Kinda ironically I think out of the recasts in Digimon Vic ended up sounding the least like his character's original voice, I really wish they would have switched his and Johnny Yong Bosch's roles in this one.

SpacemanHardy wrote:
Vic has actually played Edward three times as of now: They brought him back for the English dub of the live-action Fullmetal Alchemist movie.

When the heck did this happen? I'm not a fan of dubbed live action but this would be kind of fun to see.
catbot158

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Kinda ironically I think out of the recasts in Digimon Vic ended up sounding the least like his character's original voice, I really wish they would have switched his and Johnny Yong Bosch's roles in this one.

SpacemanHardy wrote:

When the heck did this happen? I'm not a fan of dubbed live action but this would be kind of fun to see.

Just went up on Netflix a few days ago! Caitlin Glass and Aaron Dismuke reprised their roles too!
OjaruFan

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When I first started, there were only a handful of anime series that were in the mainstream. You had Pokémon, Digimon, Dragon Ball Z, and even when I was a little boy there were a handful of anime like Speed Racer and Kimba the White Lion.

Even to this day, only a handful of anime series are in the mainstream. I certainly haven’t been seeing any non-anime fans making a big deal out of Digimon, Black Clover, Sailor Moon, or Hunter x Hunter. The only merchandise of anime series (that can be found beyond the “Anime & Manga” section, btw) I’ve been seeing in stores lately are from Pokémon, Pokémon, Beyblade Burst, Dragon Ball Super, Yo-kai Watch (though stores are stuck with a ton of Yo-kai Watches, figures and plushies that no one wants to buy), Pokémon, and more Pokémon.

Last edited by OjaruFan on Wed May 09, 2018 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Could we have gotten a better mugshot that appears on the side of every page on the website than that? I feel like he's staring at me. Menacingly. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
grooven

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:35 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
Every Vic M. interview or article that involves him always involves people talking crap about how he acted at a con or whatever when the article really has nothing to do with it. Leave it alone. I’ve had bad experiences with some VA’s, but I don’t keep bringing it up in every article they’re in.
It comes up in conversation, especially when someone has an opposite take, there is bound to be opposition. I guess it can be tiring to read, but it is part of the conversation. This particular voice actor brings out many polarizing opinions and the article is about the voice actor.

For me, I find his voice doesn't suit many of the roles he is cast to play. He does have a good voice for voice acting, but I don't particularly enjoy it for anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4