• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Beatless Anime Pauses Next Week, Returns With 'Final' 4 Episodes in September

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:59 am Reply with quote
I can't remember the last time I watched an anime that has so many recaps.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:06 am Reply with quote
This is beyond annoying.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:17 am Reply with quote
Seriously ... i really enjoy it but all the recap/Intermission are just annoying, now 1 cour break, the hype that was building up so far will most likely die like it did for the majority of series who had to take a break for the last few ep.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:25 am Reply with quote
I was planning on viewing this when it completed. I didn't expect to be waiting that long.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:40 am Reply with quote
The whole show is a failure so why don't cha just cancel it, bub? Not like it's getting any decent reception out there anyway. Okay, here's the bad, uncensored thought.

The good thought : Sad to see what happened to the show here, and surely enough the fans wouldn't be happy. Here's hoping it could use this hiatus to get back on its feet.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:20 am Reply with quote
Man, that was anime was such a mess. It started out decently, but it gets more confusing in second cour. It does not help that it has 4 annoying recaps. If I knew it was going to turn out like this, I won't have watch it.

I'm hoping Beatless have good conclusion.
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:45 am Reply with quote
Admiral Pizzaman wrote:
It does not help that it has 4 annoying recaps.

The 4th recap is probably the most annoying one since it comes just two episodes after the last recap! Seriously, guys?!
Sulfy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:22 am Reply with quote
Wow. Like, wow.

I liked the series enough to keep up with it (not week to week mind you, but catching up every 2-3 weeks or so) and some of the plot developments were pretty good! Example: spoiler[Arato is now choosing to help usher in an age where A.I. effectively helps to "shepard" humanity is a bi more different from other shows of this premise.]

Too many recaps though, and now this hiatus? Just a killer way to ruin the momentum.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:03 am Reply with quote
So got to wait for the last 4eps this is what happens when you need a reap after every other episode and not even worth the wait at all
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
A lot of shows have been going with recaps this season. Is this a trend reacting to the animator's pay issue? Cut the amount of work to compensate for the limit on salary? If so, you can expect more and more shows to suffer this pattern of a couple of recaps a cour.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:09 am Reply with quote
Come on! What is up with this season and all the studios unable to finish anything on time and having to resort to recap episodes? F***ing clip shows everywhere. Beatless was the worst offender, but at least two other shows have had them as well.

I'm enjoying Beatless a lot though, on the rare occasions when it actually puts out a real episode.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Honestly this anime was generic to began with...

Its Okayish to point of watching it, but these recaps don't help
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:30 pm Reply with quote
It's a really smart series. Stick with it past the opening episodes where it pretends it might be a generic robot-girlfriend show and it gets into some really big sci-fi themes about machine intelligence. David Cage could learn a lot from it as the writing and treatment of themes blows Detroit out of the water.

Problem is, it's also a complex, densely plotted series. The number of (scheduled) recap eps hasn't helped it in the slightest and a long hiatus until September for the conclusion will further sap momentum.

I guess this regular, scheduled recap eps thing is a response to skills-shortages and crunch-culture. As such, it was probably a worthwhile experiment and I note FMP: Invisible Victory is doing the same thing. The problem is, it doesn't work so well for complex shows, or those which rely on a lot of forward momentum, so the two test subjects for this experiment were probably the exact wrong ones to pick.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Rogueywon wrote:

I guess this regular, scheduled recap eps thing is a response to skills-shortages and crunch-culture. As such, it was probably a worthwhile experiment and I note FMP: Invisible Victory is doing the same thing. The problem is, it doesn't work so well for complex shows, or those which rely on a lot of forward momentum, so the two test subjects for this experiment were probably the exact wrong ones to pick.

It doesn't help that Diomedia has a systemic history of failing to meet deadlines and a constant string of production issues. Honestly, I'm amazed they ever are awarded contracts to produce anything.

Initially my impression after the second recap episode that maybe the plot was so overreaching that the audience wasn't keeping up, but by the third one, it became obvious they were failing to meet production scheduling (according to my brother, a former, now retired key animator at Sunrise).
Akira525

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
The whole show is a failure so why don't cha just cancel it, bub? Not like it's getting any decent reception out there anyway. Okay, here's the bad, uncensored thought.

The good thought : Sad to see what happened to the show here, and surely enough the fans wouldn't be happy. Here's hoping it could use this hiatus to get back on its feet.

BEATLESS honestly would have been better if another studio had done this. Like Production I.G., Bones or even Ufotable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2