• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yo-Kai Watch 4 Nintendo Switch Game Revealed in Video

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Feli1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:13 am Reply with quote
Ohh wow they pulling everyone for this one......interesting
peno

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:33 am Reply with quote
OK, so, Yo-kai Watch 3, which was released in Japan two years ago was not yet announced to be released outside of Japan, yet in Japan they are already announcing Yo-kai Watch 4? Why do I see here a very typical pattern for Japanese game-based franchises, especially those from Level 5 (but it's not exclusive to them) to stop caring about international markets after a few released games from said franchises and release the rest exclusively in Japan? Very sad policy that made me harder and harder to trust franchises from these companies and these companies as a whole. I don't want to be attached to something only to be disappointed later that I will not be able to continue supporting my favourite franchise. It only makes your customers more vary to your franchises in future.
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:07 am Reply with quote
peno wrote:
OK, so, Yo-kai Watch 3, which was released in Japan two years ago was not yet announced to be released outside of Japan, yet in Japan they are already announcing Yo-kai Watch 4? Why do I see here a very typical pattern for Japanese game-based franchises, especially those from Level 5 (but it's not exclusive to them) to stop caring about international markets after a few released games from said franchises and release the rest exclusively in Japan? Very sad policy that made me harder and harder to trust franchises from these companies and these companies as a whole. I don't want to be attached to something only to be disappointed later that I will not be able to continue supporting my favourite franchise. It only makes your customers more vary to your franchises in future.

Why would any Westerner who can't understand japanese get attatched to Level 5 games? They have always had super slow localization. Pretty sure Yokai Watch 2 was out in japan before 1 ever came over here. In fact, it has been an established pattern with all the Yokai games so far, so i don't see why this is a surprise.

Yokai also doesn't sell that well outside of Japan, so why would they hurry with a localization
peno

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:39 am Reply with quote
And that's exactly what I am talking about. Slow localisation will lead to less sales and less sales will lead to even slower, and eventually none at all, localisation. It's what we here in my country call magical circle situation. And until Level 5 will realise what they are doing wrong and cut the circle, things will only be worse for them. But instead of realising it, they are doing everything in their powers to kill the franchise in west thanks to many bad decisions including (but not limited to) the anime recast controversy, which will also not help the franchise's popularity in English speaking countries. Bad business decisions through and though Rolling Eyes
They already did the same with LBX and Inazuma Eleven franchises before, so one should expect it, but it's still sad to see it happening again, especially with a franchise with such a great potential Yo-kai watch has.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:22 am Reply with quote
I don't expect anything from Level 5 after they dropped the ball with LBX.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:00 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
And that's exactly what I am talking about. Slow localisation will lead to less sales and less sales will lead to even slower, and eventually none at all, localisation. It's what we here in my country call magical circle situation. And until Level 5 will realise what they are doing wrong and cut the circle, things will only be worse for them. But instead of realising it, they are doing everything in their powers to kill the franchise in west thanks to many bad decisions including (but not limited to) the anime recast controversy, which will also not help the franchise's popularity in English speaking countries. Bad business decisions through and though Rolling Eyes
They already did the same with LBX and Inazuma Eleven franchises before, so one should expect it, but it's still sad to see it happening again, especially with a franchise with such a great potential Yo-kai watch has.

I talked about this with a friend on Facebook a couple of years ago. How does a franchise like Pokémon do so well (both have similar concepts, but different executions), yet Yo-kai Watch ends up being a complete and total disaster in the US? It's how you handle it competently. Not to mention Pokémon and Nintendo as a whole both came at the right place at the right time. Especially the latter with the NES, which came during the video game crash of 1983.

Level-5 is perhaps the most incompetent company in the history of gaming (at least in my opinion). Had they not handled Yo-kai Watch so poorly, it could have been the next big thing. I'm surprised they haven't filed for bankruptcy.
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:26 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:

I talked about this with a friend on Facebook a couple of years ago. How does a franchise like Pokémon do so well (both have similar concepts, but different executions), yet Yo-kai Watch ends up being a complete and total disaster in the US? It's how you handle it competently. Not to mention Pokémon and Nintendo as a whole both came at the right place at the right time. Especially the latter with the NES, which came during the video game crash of 1983.

Level-5 is perhaps the most incompetent company in the history of gaming (at least in my opinion). Had they not handled Yo-kai Watch so poorly, it could have been the next big thing. I'm surprised they haven't filed for bankruptcy.

Or maybe Yokai Watch is seen by most as nothing but a Pokemon ripoff. The exact same reason as to why Digimon isn't as successful as Pokemon.
peno

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:46 pm Reply with quote
@CastMember1991
In all honesty, Level 5 is doing pretty well with their franchises in Japan, so I am sure their financial situation from their Japanese business is pretty good. It's their international operations they are doing wrong, but obviously, even their badly handled international operations aren't enough to get them into serious financial issues, sadly, because then nothing will persuade them to change their way of handling international sales.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:13 pm Reply with quote
CurseTheSky wrote:
Or maybe Yokai Watch is seen by most as nothing but a Pokemon ripoff. The exact same reason as to why Digimon isn't as successful as Pokemon.

Which continues to be a real testament to Nintendo's marketing, considering that the Digimon franchise hit American toy stores in Summer 1997, whereas the Pokemon franchise didn't show up on TV or in stores until Fall 1998!
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:25 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
CurseTheSky wrote:

Which continues to be a real testament to Nintendo's marketing, considering that the Digimon franchise hit American toy stores in Summer 1997, whereas the Pokemon franchise didn't show up on TV or in stores until Fall 1998!

Nintendo are masters at marketing their product, that's for sure. Even when they were poorly marketing their Wii U, they realized they weren't clear about what the product could do. The Switch on the other hand is another story. From the first trailer, you could tell what the Switch was aiming to be... a home gaming console you can transform into a handheld. It's definitely a really cool device.
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:28 am Reply with quote
[quote="CastMember1991"]
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Nintendo are masters at marketing their product, that's for sure. Even when they were poorly marketing their Wii U, they realized they weren't clear about what the product could do. The Switch on the other hand is another story. From the first trailer, you could tell what the Switch was aiming to be... a home gaming console you can transform into a handheld. It's definitely a really cool device.

Very true. And the fact that the main person behind the global marketing campaign for the Switch is now (or soon to be) President of Nintendo, it makes their outlook pretty darn good going forward i think
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:28 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
And that's exactly what I am talking about. Slow localisation will lead to less sales and less sales will lead to even slower, and eventually none at all, localisation.

Didn't effect Final Fantasy (too much) or Pokemon which it may be hard to believe nowadays but were released over a specific period of time after the Japanese versions instead of the worldwide/near simultaneous worldwide releases we get now.

peno wrote:

It's what we here in my country call magical circle situation. And until Level 5 will realise what they are doing wrong and cut the circle, things will only be worse for them. But instead of realising it, they are doing everything in their powers to kill the franchise in west thanks to many bad decisions including (but not limited to) the anime recast controversy, which will also not help the franchise's popularity in English speaking countries.

Pokemon also did this years ago still on TV in the U.S.

peno wrote:

Bad business decisions through and though Rolling Eyes
They already did the same with LBX and Inazuma Eleven franchises before,

Don't know how the Inazuma franchise was treated in Europe but in America that never had much potential of catching on at least not here.
peno

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Didn't effect Final Fantasy (too much) or Pokemon which it may be hard to believe nowadays but were released over a specific period of time after the Japanese versions instead of the worldwide/near simultaneous worldwide releases we get now.

I wouldn't lie, I am not that big into Final Fantasy, so I can't talk about it, but I wouldn't say it didn't affect Pokémon. I still remember the number of (really bad) English translated bootleg ROMs of Pokémon Crystal. Can you tell me it didn't affect sales of Pokémon Crystal when they were officially released in English? But even worse situation was in Europe, where the games where released months after North America. That lead many people to either import the games from US (since neither GB(C/A) nor DS had any form of region lock) or simply pirate them and that surely influenced sales of games in Europe. But unlike Level 5, Nintendo learned from their mistakes and started to shorten the time period for localisations and European releases to the point where they simply didn't exist anymore. That's the right approach. Not increasing the time for localisations even more as Level 5 is doing all the time.
Not to mention this may have another bad effect in case of Yo-kai Watch 3, since it's 3DS game and be honest, 3DS is dying platform, so the more time they will take, the bigger chance is no one will want the game anymore since they wouldn't want to invest more money to dead platform, especially since there are better games for Switch.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Pokemon also did this years ago still on TV in the U.S.

And so did Inazuma Eleven after only 26 episodes, where they switched LA based cast to Southeast Asian cast and the show practically disappeared from any English language TV channel anywhere in the world except in Asia. If that shouldn't warn Level 5, then I don't know what.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

Don't know how the Inazuma franchise was treated in Europe but in America that never had much potential of catching on at least not here.

And that's the kind of generalisation I think is what was wrong with Level 5's handling of Inazuma Eleven. Statistics say that football in USA is played by more people than American football. And even though Major League Soccer may not yet be as popular as NHL and NBA (I wouldn't dare to compare it with MLB and NFL). it is still popular enough to bring Copa America to US two years ago. That speaks well about popularity of football in US. And it is even more popular amongst kids than adults. That is, IMO, pretty good base for a children franchise about football players with supernatural moves. But Level 5 pretty much accepted the generalisation that no one cares about football in North America and didn't even give it a chance to get started in there. And that says much about wrong business decisions from Level 5.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:41 pm Reply with quote
As far as I'm aware, the Inazuma Eleven anime never had a US dub. It was only a Hong Kong production from day-1. You might be getting it confused with the 3DS port of the first game, which had an LA cast. In Europe, that was dubbed by a British crew years earlier. No idea why they didn't try to keep any kind of consistency. They kept the LBX cast the same between the anime and games.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:27 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
still remember the number of (really bad) English translated bootleg ROMs of Pokémon Crystal. Can you tell me it didn't affect sales of Pokémon Crystal when they were officially released in English?

I would assume it didn't as this is the first time I'm hearing about this. And I don't recall anybody where I live running around with bootleg copies of any of the GB era Pokemon titles.

peno wrote:
But even worse situation was in Europe, where the games where released months after North America.

.....welp.

peno wrote:
especially since there are better games for Switch.

The majority of which unfortunately are ports.

peno wrote:
Statistics say that football in USA is played by more people than American football.

Even then it's not watched or followed by most Americans....unless it's the world cup and the U.S. is involved.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2