• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Akemi Takada's 40 Year Anniversary Exhibit Relives the Magic of Creamy Mami, Urusei Yatsur

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that no mention is made of her designs for Kimagure Orange Road!

On her Facebook page, Takada-san listed that two additional exhibits have been scheduled in Nagoya from August 1 to 6 with a signing event on the 5th at 3pm, and Osaka from August 8 to 14 with a signing event on the 12th from 3-5pm.
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Not just KOR but also Patlabor. I remember attending AX 2000 when she was a guest and they had a pretty large exhibit of her artwork.
Theodore Relic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't even remember seeing Creamy Mami come out in the US (though I was certainly aware of it). But Urusei Yatsura, even though I don't think it was all that popular here all of the series (218/196 TV eps, 6 movies and 11 OAVs) was released on DVD by Animeigo. I still own every one of those DVDs...all 62 of them (plus the recent Blu-ray release of Beautiful Dreamer).

I also have all of the DVDs of the Takada-character designed Kimagure Orange Road (48 TV eps, 8 OAVs and 1 movie), so her KOR and Patlabor work should be mentioned.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:25 am Reply with quote
No mention of KOR but
Quote:
As you may imagine, Takada's most iconic series were most heavily represented. There was plenty of Urusei Yatsura, Creamy Mami, and Patlabor the Mobile Police illustrations to admire.

Patlabor was in there.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:34 am Reply with quote
Creamy Mami was released on subtitled DVD by Anime Sols, a company that had contacts with various series license holders.
They tried to sell and market various old anime in the US but the demand was never high for these series in the US. They were just too old and obscure for most anime fans. Anime Sols was in business for around 2-3 years before they called it a day. They made an effort and actually streamed episodes of their shows on their website to give people a sample of these shows but the interest just wasn't high.
A lot of the older shows that do sell were localized and aired on American TV in the past in the 1980s when they were still relatively new -- things like Voltron (Go-Lion), Robotech (Macross/Mospeada/Southern Cross), and Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato, a 1970s series but didn't air until 1980 in the US and has since had a highly-acclaimed remake which is FINALLY getting a proper release in the US by Funimation after Voyager bungled it a few years back).
The 1980s series have aged better than the 1970s shows. It sure seemed like the budgets and production values I've seen on 1980s anime were order of magnitudes better than many of the more famous shows from the 1970s (Mazinger Z, the original Gundam, Lupin III Parts 1 and 2, etc.).
The other thing is that Creamy Mami is a magical girl series that isn't Sailor Moon and most of those seem to be extremely difficult to market and sell in the States.
There was another more recent series released by Bandai that was a virtual remake of Creamy Mami called "Fancy Lala." That series wasn't exactly a sales blockbuster, either...
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:51 am Reply with quote
Fancy Lala was a pretty good series. At least I think so. I certainly wound up buying it, although I do admit that I only tried it out because of Akemi Takada's character designs.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:05 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:

Takada is most famous for Kimagure Orange Road in the West, but the article is about other work she isn't known for as much, like Magical Angel Creamy Mami and Patlabor the Mobile Police.

Also, she did most of Maison Ikkoku while working on KOR, but it's somewhat indistinguishable from Yuji Moriyama's first character designs, as both were inspired by Rumiko Takahasi in the first place. Izumi Matsumoto was of course inspired by Takahashi too, which made Takada the perfect match.

Last edited by Compelled to Reply on Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Swissman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:
Beltane70 wrote:

Takada is most well known for Kimagure Orange Road in the West, but the article is about other work she isn't known for as much, specifically Magical Angel Creamy Mami and Patlabor the Mobile Police.

Takada is well-known among older fans in Italy and France for Creamy Mami because that show aired there in the mid to late 80's. Patlabor was also quite popular in Italy (less in France).

Personally, I think animation director Asami Endo's and Yuji Moriyama's designs for UY are even more recognizable as typical for the UY TV anime than Takada's designs because Takada's designs were used mostly for promo artwork like cd booklets and magazine covers and less for the anime itself, even when her designs were the base the animation directors had to rely on.

I think one reason the article doesn't mention KOR is because no artwork may have been displayed at the exhibition. Creamy Mami & Urusei Yatsura are Studio Pierrot shows; the studio owns all rights to the former show (Creamy Mami is an anime original). Takada is good friends with Studio Pierrot's boss Yuji Nunokawa and his wife. I guess she has been given free reigns from them to exhibit her artwork for Creamy Mami & UY a long time ago, whereas KOR belongs to TOHO, so she might not be allowed to display KOR artwork in a personal exhibition for legal reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:00 pm Reply with quote
^It's my understanding in Europe, mainly France and Italy, KOR was considered the quintessential "gateway anime" alongside Dragon Ball.

Indeed, while KOR was also animated by Pierrot, it was produced by Toho, who can be Disney-tier restrictive over it's intellectual property. Also, Hiromi Tsuru's unfortunate death last November could have been taken into consideration.

Last edited by Compelled to Reply on Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:59 am; edited 3 times in total
Frog-kun
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:34 am Reply with quote
Yep, I can confirm that there was no KOR art at the exhibit, for whatever reason. A shame.
Swissman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:37 am Reply with quote
^It's my understanding in Europe, especially France and Italy, KOR was considered the quintessential "gateway anime" alongside Dragon Ball.

It was popular especially in Italy (the manga got published already in the early to mid nineties thanks to the popularity of the anime), but I wouldn't call the show a gateway anime in both countries. That would rather have been Saint Seiya, Fist of the North Star and City Hunter. I remember kids my age and younger were really into those action/comedy/boys-oriented shows, but less in the romantic fare ones. When I got older and became an anime fan I realized that shows like KOR, UY and Maison Ikkoku were some of the favorites among hardcore LD/CD collectors in Switzerland/France/Italy. But that's only my experience.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
manapear

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:04 pm Reply with quote
How lovely~. I've always adored her art and her designs.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:50 am Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
^It's my understanding in Europe, especially France and Italy, KOR was considered the quintessential "gateway anime" alongside Dragon Ball.

It was popular especially in Italy (the manga got published already in the early to mid nineties thanks to the popularity of the anime), but I wouldn't call the show a gateway anime in both countries. That would rather have been Saint Seiya, Fist of the North Star and City Hunter. I remember kids my age and younger were really into those action/comedy/boys-oriented shows, but less in the romantic fare ones. When I got older and became an anime fan I realized that shows like KOR, UY and Maison Ikkoku were some of the favorites among hardcore LD/CD collectors in Switzerland/France/Italy. But that's only my experience.

Well, both are used, DB for "action/comedy/boys-oriented" and KOR for "romantic fare," representing two prolific types of series at the time which still apply to the present

KOR was localized in Italy and France as È quasi magia Johnny and Max et Compagnie respectively.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1