• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Flavors of Youth Worth Watching?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donhumberto

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Really beautiful film. Watched it yesterday and loved it (specially the last segment)
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Definitely a beautiful film, there were some really gorgeous shots in there. The second story is my favorite. It may not have been the most visually stunning but it was the most relatable to me and it wasn’t as filled with the purple prose narration that had me giggling.

Like I understand the sentiment behind the first story and how the narrator associates Rice Noodles with the drastic changes in his life and a yearning for simpler times. But it’s also REALLY funny listening to a man passionately narrate about the ingredients of noodles like he was reading off Shakespeare.

But I really like the connected theme between all three stories about growing up and having to accept how things will change, and that you just have to roll with it. Like how the first and third stories showed old fashioned towns decaying in favor of the more urban city life. It sucks and you yearn for those days when you were young and had less to worry about, but that doesnt mean your life is over, it’s just going to be different.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Now this sells me on the film. Especially wow, those shots are absolutely incredibly gorgeous and evocative, and I've always wanted to see an anime film based on transmiting a particular feeling of a (beautifully drawn) city I've actually been it - aka Shanghai - and see how it fares to my memories of the place.
sonryu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:45 am Reply with quote
I just watched this, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I like 'slice of life' stories. Beautiful animation, and incredible detail to backgrounds and 'set pieces'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:23 am Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
Definitely a beautiful film, there were some really gorgeous shots in there. The second story is my favorite. It may not have been the most visually stunning but it was the most relatable to me and it wasn’t as filled with the purple prose narration that had me giggling.

Agreed. The other stories were nice as well but trying a bit too hard to look like they were done by Makoto Shinkai. But the animation quality is pretty impressive throughout, that food made my mouth water quite a bit.

Also, don't forget to watch the part after the credits!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1