• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Stream Hi Score Girl Anime in December

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote
{Edit}: Post Removed. ~ Psycho 101
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Lol december, netflix is just way too dumb.. shows are gettin fan-subbed so by then everyone gonna see all the shows already. Cant believe that they dont understand that what they are doing is bad in the anime world you cant threat it the same way like other american shizzle they show later etc....
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Way too late, Netflix. Incompetent company whose own shows are getting worse every year.
Mhora

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:26 pm Reply with quote
They do not care about u guys, sorry. Anime hyper I think its fine. Binge that shit!
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I wonder about Back Street Girls, though I've heard it's terrible.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:51 pm Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
Lol december, netflix is just way too dumb.. shows are gettin fan-subbed so by then everyone gonna see all the shows already. Cant believe that they dont understand that what they are doing is bad in the anime world you cant threat it the same way like other american shizzle they show later etc....

Actually you might be surprised by how many people watch it on Netflix. In the ANN panel yesterday, when they were asked about Netflix, Zac said they get the most traffic for Netflix licensed shows when they drop on Netflix. Probably at least one reason they don’t have their Japanese correspondent cover the first few episodes of those shows, like they did with Apocrypha and Kakegurui. Among those of us who watch anime as it airs, Netflix’s release is definitely frustrating, but I think we have to realize that we aren’t the majority, at the very least for Netflix. Maybe Netflix isn’t being dumb or incompetent. Maybe they just know their audience, and for the most part, that isn’t us necessarily. Hell, I think you might be underestimating how many turn to fan subs for Netflix shows among those who watch simulcasts. Personally speaking, I’d rather wait a few months to watch it on my Roku than watch it on some janky pirate streaming site on my laptop, and I don’t think I’m the only one. Though, I do say that as I’m about to watch High Score Girl and Sirius the Jaeger in about a half hour and 2 hours respectively. I’ll let you know how many people come to the screenings.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Mhora wrote:
They do not care about u guys, sorry. Anime hyper I think its fine. Binge that shit!

That's the problem, they don't care. Additionally your line of thinking doesn't make sense. The entire show or at least this season will likely have completely finished airing and been fan subbed before October 1st, so explain to me why waiting for Netflix is still a good thing for people that want to binge it? You can binge it via fan subs 2+ months before Netflix adds it their website.

Also I never understand the binge excuse, you want to binge the show after it's finished airing? Great, do that. Why should everyone that wants to watch it weekly as the show airs have to wait? Both viewing methods are viable and work for different people, both options have their own reasons why people prefer one of the other.

Edit: I'm saying this as someone who generally likes to support the official release. Heck sometimes I'll play an anime on Netflix that I've already watched else where, I'll do other things while it's running but at least I want a series I like to have good viewership numbers, even if it also supports Netflix's frustrating release schedule as well. It's difficult to find the right balance.
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Good to see it'll get an official release, at least.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote
With Square Enix and Goodsmile as producers I wonder who'll get the BD/DVD license. If you're going to watch it now, I encourage people to check out the the BS11 / TV broadcast version, because the TV versions have relevant game related sponsor commercials that are actually integrated into the show, starring the show's characters. I assume this would be missing in the Netflix version since it's also missing from the Japanese streaming version a week later.

The fansubs btw are great. Total fanservice for the gaming otaku. Whoever translated this really knows their shit. I wonder how Netflix will handle some of the translation for the lingo and differences in names.
AnimeIsLiterature

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Awesome!
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
I wonder about Back Street Girls, though I've heard it's terrible.

It's so garbage that the group originally subbing it dropped the show after Episode 3. Its cheap animation puts Urahara and Mitsuboshi Colors to shame.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear that this series is premiering this year at least. I recently heard about this show, and the concept sounds cool. I wonder how they will deal with all the video game references, I heard there were some copywright problems with SNK.
I know that some people find it frustrating how Netflix deals with anime, but where I'm from there was a long period of time when anime was no longer shown on TV, but Netflix brought a lot of new series and they also produced some good dubs for them. I hope this show will get a good dub too in all languages.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Way too late, Netflix. Incompetent company whose own shows are getting worse every year.

Especially that American Death Note movie.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:08 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Glad to hear that this series is premiering this year at least. I recently heard about this show, and the concept sounds cool. I wonder how they will deal with all the video game references, I heard there were some copywright problems with SNK.

Yeah a big lawsuit occurred and Square Enix settled with SNK, which resulted in removing all depictions of SNK characters from the manga. In the anime, there's no gameplay footage of any SNK game, but they do mention the titles by name like Fatal Fury.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:08 am Reply with quote
The show is worth the watch. Disregard the CGI gimmick and watch it for the story and the game nostalgia!

I honestly had a great trip down memory lane from watching Hi-Score Girl in addition to relating to Haruo Yaguchi's game addiction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2