• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Quite enjoying this one to be honest. The story's got an interesting hook and the main pair have an undeniably good chemistry. Dare I say there's a Bakemonogatari vibe coming from the both of them (not to mention the setup), their dynamic really feels a lot like Senjōgahara and Araragi-kun at the moment.

I think Sakuta makes a decent MC too being not overly pushy and quite laid back . He's got a bit of an interesting vibe going on with his dry sarcastic attitude, like a less cynical version of Hachiman maybe.

All in all I'm pretty hopeful about this one, I reckon the individual arks and the story as a whole should prove quite enjoyable.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:01 pm Reply with quote
The first episode literally put me to sleep; I finished watching it after I woke up but didn't get any enjoyment out of it. I felt the same way about Bakemonogatari, so I guess it's an apt comparison.
Morry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, I at least found the chemistry between the two leads to be the most compelling in a long while. Sakuta's honesty and Mai's imperfect perfect image feels refreshing. It reminds me of SNAFU but with a little less edge. And I can appreciate a series that can make me feel like I went through an entire cour in only three episodes.

I just hope Mai's not going to fall into the background now that her problem's solved.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A seiyuu is also listed for the girl featured in the 6th and 7th novels, but unless this series is going to be two cours, I don't see how that much story could be covered in a single season.

This probably has to do with the movie project adapting these two volumes. animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-09-15/seishun-buta-yaro-anime-gets-theatrical-film-project-in-2019/.136838
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:58 pm Reply with quote
That confession scene is one of the most gratifying things I've seen out of an anime in several months. Just two teenagers fighting against their social stigma, demanding validation, outright finding relief in the fact that they're kind of making fools of themselves in front of a huge crowd, it's really cathartic.

I really adore Sakuta and Mai's chemistry and I hope it isn't sidelined for the later girls.
Angel Investor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
The first episode literally put me to sleep; I finished watching it after I woke up but didn't get any enjoyment out of it. I felt the same way about Bakemonogatari, so I guess it's an apt comparison.

The first story arc of Bakemonogatari is easily its weakest. I almost dropped it because of the first few episodes, but it does get better (especially with the second season). Senjougahara has an interesting back story, but her character is very one-note and barely goes through any notable changes. All of the other characters are infinitely more interesting.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:35 pm Reply with quote
As a Monogatari fan should I give it a try?
If the Monogatari series as a whole is a 9 or 10 out of 10, how good is this? does it even compare at all?
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:19 pm Reply with quote
The Article wrote:
That said, I'm also not ruling out that the character is just meant to enjoy cavorting around in it. It makes sense in that former child stars wanting to show off their maturity as soon as possible is hardly uncommon.

Maybe. Given being contractually forced to do a photo shoot in a swimsuit is the major factor in her annoyance at showbiz and her mother as a manager, she's at least got some mixed feelings about overt displays of her sexuality. And she apparently never wears the outfit again in the light novels.

ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
That confession scene is one of the most gratifying things I've seen out of an anime in several months. Just two teenagers fighting against their social stigma, demanding validation, outright finding relief in the fact that they're kind of making fools of themselves in front of a huge crowd, it's really cathartic.

Same. It's refreshing after countless series over so many years having their characters pussyfoot around their romantic feelings for most of the series, and especially of male protagonists being entirely dense about it. That he shouts it to the world within the first few episodes is a very welcome change.

Angel Investor wrote:
The first story arc of Bakemonogatari is easily its weakest. I almost dropped it because of the first few episodes, but it does get better (especially with the second season). Senjougahara has an interesting back story, but her character is very one-note and barely goes through any notable changes. All of the other characters are infinitely more interesting.

Personally, Senjougahara is what instantly sold me on the show, and for all that she's the one who's changed least as things have gone on, I still find her the most endearing, in her own way. Her introductory arc may be the weakest, but that's not to say that it is weak in a more general sense.

Tripple-A wrote:
As a Monogatari fan should I give it a try?
If the Monogatari series as a whole is a 9 or 10 out of 10, how good is this? does it even compare at all?

Absolutely you should give it a try. Whether it compares at all will to a certain extent depend on what you're watching Monogatari for, and I hate to "call" the overall quality of a series that I haven't seen all of yet, but at this point if Monogatari is a 10, I'd give this an 8.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote
I certainly didn't go into this expecting to like it much, so it was a pleasant surprise just how affecting it was. I really enjoyed the chemistry and dry banter between the leads. They managed to be witty enough without falling off into annoying or obnoxious territory.

I'm also a sucker for this type of gradual-disappearance storyline (they got me good with it in Clannad). Her mother forgetting her was a real gut-punch. I'm a little concerned that they wrapped it up in 3 episodes though. Even so, I'll hang on to see what else they plan to do with the rest of the series.

Dat title though. It sounds like it should be about some old guy drooling in his scooter while he looks back on his youth.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:20 am Reply with quote
I didn’t know what to expect out of this show going into it, (that title especially had me perplexed), but I’m also coming out of this series liking it quite a bit. I rarely ever ship characters, but I’m honestly very captivated by how well Sakuta and Mai go together as their interactions with each other felt like they really had a connection. The time it took for this show to gut-punch me was the quickest I’ve felt from any show in a while and now I’m currently finding it hard to pick out a favorite from this Fall season. We’ll see how this series progresses from here, but so far, it’s been a interesting ride to say the least.
TexZero

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:35 am Reply with quote
Came into the show not knowing what to expect.

As of episode 3 im pleasantly surprised and ultimately worried.

This is a nice suspense/drama show with a bit of supernatural elements but the pacing might be a bit much. If we stick to the 3 episode per mystery formula i'm not sure that will allow for enough time to get attached to the other cases and flesh out those characters and why they matter outside of a passing interest in solving the issue of adolescenes syndrome wherever it showcases itself.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:40 am Reply with quote
Very likely 1 cour for 5 novels and a movie for 2, overall a very rushed affair but not bad by any means so far.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:28 am Reply with quote
"Rascal Does not Dream of Bunny Girl Sempai" Episodes 1-3.

It was decent? I guess. Most of the cast was underdeveloped and the core concept would seem to be group think resulting in changes in reality... "adolescent syndrome" would be the condition of being a teenager so, well, uh, yeah...ch-ch-changes...

Anyway, our hero was able to help bunny girl sempai come back to something... it was like Fuko's story from Clannad only it kind of sucked here because her condition and rules were so poorly defined. Wouldn't shouting her name just cause people to wonder who he was and who he was shouting about even IF she wasn't suffering from a lack of presence?

End of story... and that's where we run into problems with Light Novel series of this type, especially when the series are named after the first girl because there's no place for them to go; Next week we're going to follow the girl who demanded her butt be kicked? Why?

I like the character designs and the animation is certainly not poor but any steps towards another girl is a step away from the title girl and Mai has too strong of a personality for that.

Unless... or rather UNLESS... Mai's condition gets her interested in helping those afflcted with AS and forced the guy to from a help group or rater something bigger... not a club... maybe a Brigade, a Stop Adolescent Syndrome Brigade... and suddenly while there's an overarching plot, finally, it's only there because it's stealing plots from other series.

Oh, it's stealing plots from other series anyway? Steal away then.

C... and that's being generous. It's not bad mostly because it's not trying that hard to be anything.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:45 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
It's not bad mostly because it's not trying that hard to be anything.

Oh, I'm going to entirely disagree on the bolded point. It's absolutely trying to be the next Bakemonogatari, but with a more conventional artistic style.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:54 am Reply with quote
Interesting premise at first, but the pseudoscience and logic charlatanism kills it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7