• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tatsunoko Productions' Egao no Daika TV Anime Streams Promo Video

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:31 am Reply with quote
For some stupid reason, Tatsunoko, creator of some legendary japanese superhero/sentai series, decides to celebrate a date as important as their 55th anniversary, with a mecha/idol-ish series. WHY?

Was it too much to release Infini-T Force as THE anniversary project?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:44 am Reply with quote
SkerllyFC07 wrote:
For some stupid reason, Tatsunoko, creator of some legendary japanese superhero/sentai series, decides to celebrate a date as important as their 55th anniversary, with a mecha/idol-ish series. WHY?
Since it says nothing about idols, i will just ask, what's wrong with Mecha?
Just a harmless potato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:19 am Reply with quote
SkerllyFC07 wrote:

Um... Isnt one of Tatsunokos most famous anime series the original Macross?
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:17 am Reply with quote
SkerllyFC07 wrote:

Was it too much to release Infini-T Force as THE anniversary project?

Have you SEEN Infini-T Force?
Can you with a straight face tell me the animation quality was BETTER than what they did in videogame cut scenes TWENTY YEARS AGO?!?
It's FAR-INFERIOR quality animation to most of what's being done in the topline videogames today and that how it will be judged whether you accept that or not.

Most of the characters of Infini-T Force are unknown in the West unless you're a huge fan of Japanese superheroes and like retro-anime.
Heck, at this point, they're like Astro Boy and yeah, it's great they're icons but so what?
When is that last time someone did a GOOD project with Astro Boy?!? Mickey Mouse is an icon, too, but he's basically a corporate mascot and a character they sell on T-shirts to most people living now -- even when I was a kid they RARELY showed Mickey Mouse cartoons on television! There are a ton of classic characters like that including Betty Boop and most of the Looney Tunes characters.
Yes, superheroes are big for the moment but we're talking about American superheroes which are a whole different kettle of fish and have a different psychology than Japanese superheroes! Heck, the Gatchaman characters were more like a paramilitary force than mainline superheroes!

The animation quality of Infini-T did that series no favor... The rendering was no better than average at best.
The story? Meh, maybe. Oh, it had a spectacular finish I'll grant you but what you had to slog through before you got to the end, would most people have the patience to sit through that, especially with animation inferior to most videogames today?

Infini-T Force is several generations removed from when those Tatsunoko heroes were at the peak of their popularity and virtually ever character they did in the 1970s has had an attempted revival series or short remake OVA and guess what? Those OVAs and remakes were just not very good and they were not able to recapture the spark of what made those shows special. (Tekkaman Blade was almost completely different from Tekkanman Knight so that doesn't count.) Apparently, the death of Tatsuo Yoshida (the creator of most of those superheroes) really hurt Tatsunoko and the production company has survived has survived on the embers of its glory days (1960s and 1970s) for decades now. Like that isn't true for just about every major Hollywood studio and the Big Two comic book companies in the US, too!
Tatsunoko, as far as I know, never did any retrospectives to educate people about who these characters were and unless you were alive when they were airing these characters series how were you supposed to know who they were? If all you saw were the remakes or newer OVAs, why should you be impressed by these characters?

I doubt the ratings for Infini-T Force were that high or we would have heard about a home video release through Viz by now. Viz may have decided they were going to lose money if they did a home video release -- it wouldn't be the first time they licensed a series for streaming but passed on a physical media release. They did it with Reborn! (also on Tubi TV) which is getting a release through Discotek. Tatsunoko also made a motion picture tie-in to Infini-T Force which I have heard NOTHING about being licensed by ANYONE in the West.

Egao no Daika is its own entity. The description and characters are more like what's popular in Japan now. If it actually stands out and is a quality series, great. If not, what's new? Over 90% of anime comes and goes without much comment by anybody. That's just how it is including the things you might like.

Egao no Daika is a totally separate deal from Infini-T Force which came and went and apparently did not make a huge impact on anybody...

I like the Tatsunoko heroes myself but I have no illusions as to why Infini-T Force came and went out without making any waves. It's just typical of Tatsunoko nowadays.

Frankly, they do better parody projects with their superheroes than mainline shows with...
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with GeorgeC about that.

It's what popular in Japan, not in the West or anywhere else. Space Opera is maintained on the backs of aging fan base in Japan. Their not the majority anymore, that's why you don't see shows like Crusher Joe, Votoms or other shows that are not backed by some industry trying push plastic models, music media content, or anything else.

Post-War population or newer like what they like. Best way i can describe it. Only hope is the western media like NetFlicks to produce stuff independently see what sticks. Voltron (Nexflick) got number 10-episode seasons before capping it. Fully animated, good quality material. Yes it's retro series, but there couple others coming. It's future of anime since Japan itself isn't interest in it.

Price of Smiles will hopefully be good, Tatsunoko can be fickle in his stuff. Maybe it will do good for 12-ep series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1