• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Hollywood Alita: Battle Angel Film's Trailer Previews Battle Scenes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Her face is not growing on me, you guys. It's just not.

Other than that, I do kinda like the trailer, the action looks nice. It's interesting to see that they do incorporate the Motoball arc into the film. I didn't think they'd cover that. However, now I'm worried how coherent the story will be, as those arcs are clearly playing out after another, with different themes, splitting the focus of the film, I guess?
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I must admit that her face is growing on me a little, but I certainly don't have a positive impression of it.

The trailer looks great, though I share your concern that they seem to be picking bits here and there and combining them all into one film. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I would need some time to get used to her eyes, I know it’s been addressed to death at this point, but if many avid anime fans, who are generally more open-minded to deformed designs, need some adjustment period; I have a hard time believe mainstream audience would give this a chance.

Although Alita will definitely NOT be my first choice for a Valentine movie date though Embarassed

Last edited by Engineering Nerd on Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I've gotton used to the eyes pretty fast, I think it's because they are not that big.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:31 pm Reply with quote
James Cameron always intended to depict Motorball; IIRC he brought it up in some of the earliest news articles about him licensing the franchise for live-action.

Frankly, I don't think it's a big problem to cover the first four volumes of the manga in a single movie (which would be required to get fully through Motorball). There's a lot of not-totally-necessary content which can be condensed and/or trimmed, so I can easily see the story being effectively streamlined down to two hours.

(And keep in mind that I'm saying this as someone who has been an Alita fan since the OVAs came out in the early '90s.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:

Although Alita will definitely NOT be my first choice for a Valentine movie date though Embarassed

Haha, I went to see Deathpool on a date 2 years ago, that was amazing!
I'm totally doing that!
Key wrote:
There's a lot of not-totally-necessary content which can be condensed and/or trimmed, so I can easily see the story being effectively streamlined down to two hours.

I'm not saying that it's too much content, just that I'm not sure how that would work as one, coherent movie.
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Every Fan I know has gotten used to the Eyes by now. They are more concerned with the story elements, characters and how it seems like they've cut out any humor to make it all dramatic.
Every non-fan I know has seen enough Sci-fiction and Marvel movies and just assumed Alita was an alien or mutant at first glance. When mentioned she was a cyborg, the eyes were not a deal-breaker and they still wanted to go see it.

Anyone who still has issues with the Eyes is just holding onto their own baggage for whatever personal reason. Its an artistic choice which will have little impact if the rest of the film does well
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Surprised that the Motorball stuff is in, thought that might be a 2nd Arc thing considering the manga timeline...

But I guess if they re-jig things around a bit, it could work...

The anime face still isn't great and totally stands out too much compared to the rest of the world... but I guess I can overlook it, but it's still not pretty.

Also... so many corny lines, that I'm hoping are just recorded for the trailer but not at all in the movie.

- Show don't tell - we can see that Alita is a bad-ass without her or anyone having to explicitly tell us.

Scene: Alita beats up surprised bad guys with style.
Dialogue: "I Alita, fight against evil, and I am a strong woman that you have underestimated."

Scene: Alita protects her friends and others weaker than her.
Dialogue: "Alita, I can see you are a person who cares about everyone and has a kind heart!"

Scene: Alita defeats the final boss.
Dialogue: "I Alita, the hero of this journey, have vanquished the villain!"

Yeah, thanks WB, I can see all that already, I'm watching the movie in front of me! Audiences can believe in the heroine by seeing what she does, without needing to be told how they should feel and reminded that we should never underestimate women who possess military industrial robo-bodies.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm less concerned about Alita's big eyes and more concerned about the CGI effects. In some scenes it looks pretty ok but in other scenes it comes as underwhelming somehow. Maybe it's the cheesy lines like Jdnation mentioned, but I feel like this trailer isn't as good as the last one.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:55 am Reply with quote
I think I've gotten used to the eyes now and they don't seem quite as large as the first original trailer (or I've really gotten used to the eyes). I don't think it will impact me that much, but other general audience watchers might get freaked out, or stay away if the critics harp on it.

As far as the Motorball stuff I think its how they slice and dice to make everything fit. I can see ways of making it work.

Its a shame that this has gotten delayed so many times that they need to reveal so much in the latest trailer. What I'm seeing is very standard fare as far as story goes I hope I'm wrong and wont be disappointed as I was with Ghost in the Shell with Scarjo.

Ugh! Some of the dialogue was seriously corny, hope the movie isn't full of that stuff.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:23 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

Also... so many corny lines, that I'm hoping are just recorded for the trailer but not at all in the movie.

Agreed 100%. I'm thinking they probably are just for the trailer though. Like you mentioned, "showing" us is far better than "telling" us. But you can't "show" much in a short trailer.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
To me, she looks like a living doll which was the impression I originally had when reading the manga. I think the filmmakers hit the nail on the head, though maybe a little too much. Still, I won't make any judgements on this film until I see it in theaters. Hopefully it turns out to be a GOOD movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1