• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
We Never Learn: BOKUBEN (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:38 am Reply with quote

We Never Learn: BOKUBEN (TV)

Genres: Comedy, Harem, Romance, School, Shounen
Themes:

Plot Summary:
Quote:
Yuiga is a student who is aiming for a scholarship because he comes from a poor family. His school gives him a condition: he can have a recommendation for a scholarship if he tutors his two beautiful classmates to help them get into the schools of their choice. Ogata may be a science genius and Furuhashi a literature prodigy — but Ogata is aiming for a liberal arts school and Furuhashi is aiming for a science school. And they're both clueless outside their fields of expertise.
(from manga)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Catchy OP song but it wasn't too special imo.

They introduced the main girls and established some of the studying themes. The conversations were kinda witty and I think the character reactions were a bit pushed on some parts lol. Thanks Fumino. Rizu is also kinda cute in this episode and more intimidating than Fumino.

First episode is okay, kinda average honestly but I'll stick around for more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
miketan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:18 pm Reply with quote
it's especially tough for Nariyuki to stay sane when there are so many girls look upon him for a shoulder to cry on. Poor lad. Definitely messing up his hormone reaction.

Interesting storyline in episode 1.
predictable reactions of each character in this anime.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:30 am Reply with quote
I am not an expert on things, but I wonder about the initial reaction of not being good at what they love. Being really good at literacy, yet an interest in the sciences despite being terrible with equations, it could mean something like she could be good at is interpreting data, seeing what results mean after the calculations are done. And an interest on I guess psychology as part of liberal arts, despite being stuck with the mathematical how, could mean with enough proper information she could do quite well, outside of the vague aspect of study.

To talk about myself, I kind of feel something similar in ways. I went into business accounting, because I am pretty okay with numbers, but the thing is that I have always been pretty awful with equation formulae, I would see in a equation and my mind would go blank. I think what worked for me was different from others, that I could just get an understanding of what an equation was meant to be about in the abstract, and I had a better time. And also an interest in arts like fiction despite I would say having creativity problems, or a disability that has given me problems like understanding social cues and trains of thought that normal people have not problem with. In high-school I actually got thrown into the remedial "English" class that was filled with people who wasted their time, despite my interests, eventually getting a better class. I think I only managed to get better from a very large amount of experience, and even tools that I could put down creativity to spreadsheets.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:35 am Reply with quote
And I find I relate to Rizu having often faced the dread words "show your work" during my years in school. I know what the answer is, why can't that be good enough to go on to the next problem? One time, I got particularly peeved about it so I used an entire chalkboard in a physics class and reverse engineered gravitational acceleration.

They tended to leave me alone after that.

As primarily set up, We Never Learn is about duality and pairings, the two smartest girls in the school are not only obvious examples of red versus blue oni... I even paused the scene when the red one gets flustered in blue and the blue gets embarrassed in red... but also left versus right brain thinking, with the right being analytical and the left being creative. At least, this is my experience with people and how they think, when they do think...

And the premise so far is that they want to learn the kind of thinking they're not good at yet their tutor is of the hard learning, hard working variety and not natural genius like they are. My main thought during the show was it's like a duck teaching a fish to breath air and a crow how to swim under water.... some things just are impossible no hard how you work at it. Or a least it should be but this is fiction. But then the next episode goes full swimwear and boobs so critical thinking is averted for now.
SomeHero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:43 pm Reply with quote
No1 would give new Comments? Yeh now it slowly drives in the Harem Direktion. For some Reason i think all 5 (the 3 ,students`, hot Looking - Cold Heart - Teacher, Sister) could be Fitting as Love Interests. Anyone else? Embarassed
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

Finished, although I had to check up if this was the last episode, with there being a "to be continued" at the end, which may just be an OVA that seems to be happening. I watched this show, and I liked a good amount of elements from it, but it also struggled to keep my attention a lot of the time. I think that I am just sick of these status quo harem anime, specifically that there has to be one, and no one can win for the story. They just had to throw in teacher to create random romantic situations, or circumstances with senpai that had him playing boyfriend. I was kind of into it when it looked like him and his sporty childhood friend were such a good match that they had to be official couple material, but then the show could not help but tease the other ships. Including the blue haired girl that would make it clear she is not interested in him like that, and try to help something stabilize relationships, but then forced into a bunch of romantic stuff. In general it also felt a bit like it could be a bit inconsistent with Nariyuki in general, where you would think his characterization should be pretty set as the study focused person from a poor family, but kind of felt like he twisted for each girl.

It kind of feels apt to compare and contrast to a recent anime, The Quintessential Quintuplets. Which I think that I felt in that show better why the main character had the blossoming relationships with each of the girls, even if I would say that I kind of thought that Bokuben was probably better in general, with maybe better characters. Maybe another additional element, is that I that I was really sick of the boob stuff in this anime. Do people really like characters who have half their personality in how they have small boobs?

In general, I think that the show was mostly harmless, with some okay elements, but others that I was just sick of and had me lose interest for stretches. I give a rating of Decent (6/10), I didn't lose my time.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:05 am Reply with quote
It was actually confirmed that there is a second season coming in October.
SomeHero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:18 am Reply with quote
*hops in again* Erm, it seems my further omment on this were deleted, what was wrong with it? Sad Nevermind, i thougt for an while, they were all fitting Love interests. But Predator is rght, its somewhat ,bad forced` But im not ,Anime Plot Creator`, so i have no glue how they should solve it. Maybe make it clear for experts that he is only interested in one Girl (i would take the swimming Ace, too) and the others ,just Friends`, even with an accidetnal Kiss here and there. Just saying. Pls dont delete it again ^^
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:13 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 13 (finale)

Alright it is finished, meh. As much as I was not a big fan of the first season, I really started to have my enthusiasm go down in the second season, this was especially because I really got sick formula that started top pop up. While you might be interested in a particular episode could start off with its own thing and then have a surprise introduction of one of the other characters, it kind of started to get ridiculous. Like almost every episode might start off being about 1 or a couple of the girls, or maybe just the main character, it felt like every storyline would pull a grown expected twist of the other girls getting involved somehow, it just sort of got really frustrating for me. The only episode I think this season that did not pull something like this was one where he went with one of the girls to check out a university, that I guess that it would be too weird for the 4 other girls to suddenly show up and suddenly make it not about a particular character.

I got sick of running gags of someone makes a mistake, mistake gets misunderstood, and leads to uncomfortable situation that is probably of a sexual nature that gets everyone involved feeling uncomfortable. I hate that this show thinks that it is above all the harem junk, but then does it super hard and without awareness. Nothing was sexy, it was just uncomfortable. And I hate the boob jokes! Can a character not have a small bust size in an anime without it being half their personality?! And it just felt like the emotional stuff started to just get flat, as it started running itself in circles by trying to justify why things had to be as they were. Why is a teacher pushed so hard in this hare, and a girl that makes it pretty hard that she does not want to and just support others? I might say that at least there was not an imouto character, but indeed he had a little sister that was a total brocon for him and got weird.

In the end it tried so hard to build up this whole situation of a stupid rumour about touching each other while fireworks, that it really should mean nothing, and then make a super ambiguous situation of touching each other. I would assume by the end of the episode that it was with his childhood friend, but that still feels so stupid in meaning anything when her arc if anything felt like her deciding the coolest move is to do what is best for herself. But anyway, harem anime does not want to resolve anything, but just leave all doors open, like it just wanted to annoy me more.

My rating for season 2 is So-so (5/10), chances are a lot of people will still really enjoy it, and it is not badly made, but if you are sick of seems to have become a lot of dumb modern harem anime trends, you might be like me.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:33 am Reply with quote
I really liked it, in fact my eyes were tearing up as Nariyuki gave his final mock interview with Mafuyu and the ultimate truth of the title "We never Learn" gets explored, discussed and debunked and Mafuyu realizes how she failed her student who needed her.

And then she genuinely smiled as the student surpassed the teacher. If you're just stopping at "harem comedy status quo", you won't see how the characters developed.

I expected the ambiguous ending as this is certainly not the first incomplete adaption of a harem comedy I've ever seen but once Uruka moved forward with her life over being the lucky/unlucky childhood friend, I realized that there's time enough for that sort of thing for these characters Later.

Don't push them, they're still learning who they really are. And then the fireworks will really begin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1