• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: TV Tokyo Issues Formal Apology For Kemono Friends 2 Producer's 'Unprofessional Conduct'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Next we need an apology for the sequel itself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:24 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:

was it actually that bad, I didn't watch it because tatsuki was not involved, and I didn't hear anything positive about it.
But WOW that is some extreme pettiness on behalf of the producer for the series, I am still waiting on the sales figures for kemono friends 2 to see how much the series got trashed by tatsukis new anime.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Jesus Christ, I get it, it's got to be enormously frustrating that no one will give this sequel a fair chance. From what I've seen, I personally thought it was just about as good as the original (yeah I know, @ me). But what is there to be gained by arguing with the haters and worse, trying to smear TATSUKI's name? You really think you're going to change anyone's minds?

Anyway, I'm heartbroken that such an adorable and heart-warming franchise keeps getting smeared by the meddling of executive pigs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:29 pm Reply with quote
It's too bad there was a bit of a spat.

As for the show... if I had never seen season 1, I would have thought that 2 was ok, but nothing great. Season 1 was better, so now I think 2 is 'meh'. Ok, but a disappointment.

Catching a little lightning in a bottle once is hard, twice is way harder. It's just too bad.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I didn't watch either season of the show, so I have no horse in this race, but it's been interesting to see KF become a literal walking proof of how a production can be ruined through executive meddling. I'm pretty certain that, even if season 2 had been as good or even better than season 1, the apallingly poor way in which Kadokawa handled TATSUKI's removal, combined with how obviously unprofessional this producer has been through the whole ordeal have pretty much guaranteed the death of what could've been a very prolific franchise.

Unless disk sales are off the roof -and I doubt they'll be, I hear very little buzz about this show- I doubt Kadokawa will want to get involved with this mess again
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
CatSword wrote:

was it actually that bad, I didn't watch it because tatsuki was not involved, and I didn't hear anything positive about it.

Yes, it was THAT bad.
It was more less Kemono FRIENDS and much more Kemono ENEMIES.
And then, the finale... it was unbelievable bad. And I'm being serious, not joking, if someone describes to you the things that happened will probably doubt.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
CatSword wrote:

It's not bad, but it certainly doesn't have the kind of charm the first season had and mostly fails to cover any ground in terms of the story.
DTJB

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:30 pm Reply with quote
As much as I enjoy the Kemono Friends franchise as a whole (glad to see the Japari Park shorts are back as scheduled) I can fully understand why people would be critical of season 2; I personally felt the ending was a little rushed, the Birds of Paradise characters felt unnecessary and they still need to explain some details in the story . While I believe some criticisms have been blown out of proportion, Hosoya's behavior is just plain stupid.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Looks like someone has been adding fuel to the flames that have already burned the Kemono Friends fandom for over two years now.

rizuchan wrote:
Jesus Christ, I get it, it's got to be enormously frustrating that no one will give this sequel a fair chance. From what I've seen, I personally thought it was just about as good as the original (yeah I know, @ me). But what is there to be gained by arguing with the haters and worse, trying to smear TATSUKI's name? You really think you're going to change anyone's minds?

Anyway, I'm heartbroken that such an adorable and heart-warming franchise keeps getting smeared by the meddling of executive pigs.

I heard Kemono Friends S2's writing pales in comparison to the first, and the Tatsuki loyalists clearly had no regrets favoring Kemurikusa over it.
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Well, given that spoiler[Serval seems to have forgotten who Kaban is, while Kaban herself clearly remembers kind of feels like a slap in the face of those who wanted to see a continuating of their story.] Instead, we get a kinda-reboot that recycles some of the elements from the first show, while sort of reinventing a few things, some of which sort of gets unceremoniously dropped by the end, like the whole spoiler[angry sea thing, never mind our main lead just giving up on what he was doing throughout the entire show.] And the whole thing with spoiler[Kyururu's drawings empowering Ceruleans because they mimic the contents] seemed like a spectacularly poorly thought out idea.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Well, given that spoiler[Serval seems to have forgotten who Kaban is, while Kaban herself clearly remembers kind of feels like a slap in the face of those who wanted to see a continuating of their story.] Instead, we get a kinda-reboot that recycles some of the elements from the first show, while sort of reinventing a few things, some of which sort of gets unceremoniously dropped by the end, like the whole spoiler[angry sea thing, never mind our main lead just giving up on what he was doing throughout the entire show.] And the whole thing with spoiler[Kyururu's drawings empowering Ceruleans because they mimic the contents] seemed like a spectacularly poorly thought out idea.

Yes, I was willing to give the show benefit of the doubt, so as not to be one of "those" fans Tweeted about, but there was a lot of attempt to paste on an Eerie Mystery to conjure up the first series, without having any clear idea of which one.

At least we have a reason why the first season left so unsatisfyingly unresolved, what the second season's excuse?
zenbud

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:41 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I didn't watch either season of the show, so I have no horse in this race, but it's been interesting to see KF become a literal walking proof of how a production can be ruined through executive meddling. I'm pretty certain that, even if season 2 had been as good or even better than season 1, the apallingly poor way in which Kadokawa handled TATSUKI's removal, combined with how obviously unprofessional this producer has been through the whole ordeal have pretty much guaranteed the death of what could've been a very prolific franchise.

Unless disk sales are off the roof -and I doubt they'll be, I hear very little buzz about this show- I doubt Kadokawa will want to get involved with this mess again

rizuchan wrote:

Kemono Friends is more than BD. It's streaming, manga and games. If none of those are doing well, then it's probably not happening

And this isn't a executive meddling as a producer isn't an executive. This guy is the producer of Aikatsu, Gintama and Pokémon as we can see by his works. If anything, the meddling here were from the executives to put this apology by TV Tokyo due to the actions of their employee which they had no idea that it was happening.

But, this situation just shows that between the companies involved on the first Kemono Friends, it wasn't just Kadokawa as this producer also appeared now.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:22 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:

Looks like it was said in the event this week that this season happens 2000 years after the first: https://twitter.com/char_tweet/status/1118857879723945985
Just, what?!

zenbud wrote:

And this isn't a executive meddling as a producer isn't an executive. This guy is the producer of Aikatsu, Gintama and Pokémon as we can see by his works. If anything, the meddling here were from the executives to put this apology by TV Tokyo due to the actions of their employee which they had no idea that it was happening.

But, this situation just shows that between the companies involved on the first Kemono Friends, it wasn't just Kadokawa as this producer also appeared now.

I disagree with this because in this case all this drama isn't coming from just "ephemeral executives", it's coming from the people actually involved and working with this IP.
Hosoya was the one that picked Tatsuki and his studio for the first season, and was the one that picked Kimura for the second.
In this second season Mine (the original creator) also had more control about what the season would be about.

Two things are certain, these people can't make something "good" with Kemono Friends, they're trying for years and always fails.
Tatsuki could, that's why they "hate" him.
Also, is not only Tatsuki. There were "problems" with other people too, like the other KF1 producer, Yoshitada. Story tells that he earned Hosoya's hate when he helped a seiyuu that Hosoya was trying to coerce to have sex with him to get the role to escape the place in a taxi. Not that they're worse the others in this industry, but all signs paints this picture that the people behind Kemono Friends are comfortably working "with the system", and Tatsuki and his colleges are the outsiders that refuse to fall in line, know what I mean?
ChiilongCha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:09 am Reply with quote
The controversy would not have gotten this big if they actually tried to make a decent show. But KF2 was an intentional attempt at insulting fans of the first season. It doesn't help that the people involved in KF2 has been hostile to Tatsuki on Twitter.

It's really unfortunate because I really loved the first season and Kaban has been my favorite anime character.
metalcoola

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Not sure how other merch for KF2 sells, bu, if it sells as well as latest DVD of stage play (Below 900) while TATSUKI Kemurikusa already sold above 10.000, then i can see there will be even more biterness Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2