• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Omega Labyrinth Life Switch RPG Launches in Japan on August 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:27 am Reply with quote
Ugh here we go again. But isn’t the whole point in the Omega Labyrinth series to have the breasts grow throughout the game? So not sure how it makes sense to have one without the Omega other than just being just another Rogue RPG with nothing special about it other than whatever the Life means. Also I would think it would be more annoying having to make 2 completely different versions of the same game especially when you’re a niche company making niche games.

Also I still feel that PQube should have released Omega Labyrinth Z. They licensed the game many months before Sony said to can it. They were even ready to put out a release date for being just about done making the localization and even had Limited Editions ready. All that hard work and money spent wasted.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:36 am Reply with quote
The most obvious and indirect Switch ad in years. That PS4 version is basically worthless, since it has nothing that Omega Labyrinth is known for plus the cuts do affect gameplay (EXP gain).
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:42 am Reply with quote
Hopefully PQube will bring over the Switch version! No need to bring the ps4 version over~
SUPER_METR0lD

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:45 am Reply with quote
I'm stunned that they're even bothering with a PS4 version after their experience with Sony and Omega Labyrinth Z. You'd think they would avoid Sony like the plague after that mess.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:21 am Reply with quote
SUPER_METR0lD wrote:
I'm stunned that they're even bothering with a PS4 version after their experience with Sony and Omega Labyrinth Z. You'd think they would avoid Sony like the plague after that mess.

PQube was the one who suffered not D3 Publisher since the game released in Japan and other Asian countries just fine. Though I believe they didn’t make the Chinese version with English Subtitles like many of these games have now since PQube was doing it so it was like why bother.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Sony's censorship game so strong they changed the title of the game because the Omega part of the logo was shaped like boobs. At least the Switch surpassed PS4 sales in Japan, so now any future Japanese focused games made will prioritize the Switch. Shame about all the ones already in development who have to curb to these California values
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the Sony managers believe that turning the Playstation into the childrens game console is a good idea or if many of them know this is a horrible idea but are too afraid to speak up. It is amusing that the PS4 version has a cheaper price and if possible it would be interesting to see the sales data for the two versions.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm not even remotely familiar with this game series, in fact I haven't done hardly any gaming in years. unless you count playing some old-school games on PSP. But it seems funny that Sony and Nintendo seem to have switched positions with regard to censoring objectionable content? It used to be that the games on the various Playstation consoles got away with a lot more than Nintendo allowed, and now it seems that things are swinging in the opposite direction?
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
I'm not even remotely familiar with this game series, in fact I haven't done hardly any gaming in years. unless you count playing some old-school games on PSP. But it seems funny that Sony and Nintendo seem to have switched positions with regard to censoring objectionable content? It used to be that the games on the various Playstation consoles got away with a lot more than Nintendo allowed, and now it seems that things are swinging in the opposite direction?

It looks like that in the west, but the truth is Nintendo of Japan has always been fairly lenient, even allowing nudity on their systems as far back as the Famicom It was Nintendo of America that was notorious for strict censorship in the NES and SNES days.

Sony moved it's PlayStation division headquarters to America in 2016 and began catering towards western gaming audiences. Nintendo of America seems to either have lost its power, or changed it's policies regarding content around the same time because now they're becoming more lenient like Nintendo of Japan is which is why we see some of these titles get released over here.
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:33 pm Reply with quote
At least this is a good thing for Nintendo, since they could use more sales numbers to help them get to the top.

But really, is this game even going to come out to the west?
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
At least this is a good thing for Nintendo, since they could use more sales numbers to help them get to the top.

But really, is this game even going to come out to the west?

PQube was all set to bring out the previous game in the series before Sony said "fudge you", so there is a good chance that they may bring over the switch version of this game.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:50 pm Reply with quote
It may be noteworthy to point out that the original intention of Omega Labyrinth Life when it was announced - not when they announced the release date - going on nine months ago was for it to be a Switch exclusive. At the time, the publisher argued that the scenes and games requiring the player to "touch" worked better with the Switch, rather than dealing with the point-and-click aspect of the PS4's touch pad. Somewhere along the line the company apparently decided to go ahead with a PS4 version, long after already knowing Sony's current stance on these sort of titles. As to why they went this route I have a really difficult time fathoming, but my immediate assumptions are probably 1) it won't take much to make this game compatible with a PS4 since the work was likely optimized for Switch and 2) they're probably anticipating more digital sales than physical, which can justify the PS4's versions lower price point. I would also point to a provenance aspect since the series originally was a Sony platform title, but that's my own assumptions that the company would want to maintain platform provenance. Regardless people in Japan WILL buy the PS4 version, but I'd assume the publisher is anticipating more Switch sales.

On the whole stance of censorship I can understand to a degree why Sony has been going the route they have been but it is 'unfortunate' in the aspect that as someone that has waited decades for more Japanese titles to see English releases with little to no localization that a major company like Sony is now doing a 180 on something I thought they were leading the way on. I actually imported Omega Labyrinth Z shortly after PQube was denied and there for sure is a lot of things in that title that really just gave me a crooked eye look (the whole 'item appraisement' thing made me both giggle and cringe). I think what is most troubling about the Omega Labyrinth series as opposed to another controversial series like Senran Kagura is a lot of what is in say Senran Kagura is ultimately optional. You can play say Peach Beach Splash (a title I like to argue is actually decent, even not counting it's umm focal point) and not actually deal with a lot of the more sexual issues. You don't have to enter intimacy mode (it does give a trophy), you don't have to do the squirmy take downs (also gives a trophy), and you can actually dress the characters modestly. On the other hand you can skip very little in Omega Labyrinth. You have to deal with the item appraisement scenes since you constantly need better items to fuse, you have to do the hot springs segments to regain health, and overall the game likes to remind you what seems like every minute that you're playing a game that's about breasts. But oh yeah, it's also a roguelike.

I also get a little tired of some of the public's stances on "hehe finally the pervs and weebs can't have their games." It's absolutely nothing like that. Apparently the world at large doesn't understand that there is a whole segment of people out there that don't want to play JUST the next cookie cutter first person shooter that releases every other month. Maybe we want to play quirky titles with bouncy fun characters and live out relatable-genre stories that we read and watch as part of fandom.[/i]
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:
At least the Switch surpassed PS4 sales in Japan, so now any future Japanese focused games made will prioritize the Switch.

Yeah I don't see the next Tekken, Tales Of, Musou, or Persona titles dropping on the Switch first before the PS4......let alone some of those games winding up on the Switch to start with.

Chrono1000 wrote:
I wonder if the Sony managers believe that turning the Playstation into the childrens game console is a good idea or if many of them know this is a horrible idea but are too afraid to speak up.

I wonder if you know this is hyperbole since that's not the intent of this policy for one and two the system still has sexually suggestive games to say nothing of violent heavy games which push games into M-Rated territory. Something made even more hilarious with the fact you essentially just described practically every Nintendo made device since the original NES.

AkumaChef wrote:
I'm not even remotely familiar with this game series, in fact I haven't done hardly any gaming in years. unless you count playing some old-school games on PSP. But it seems funny that Sony and Nintendo seem to have switched positions with regard to censoring objectionable content?

I wouldn't say they've switched places persay just that Nintendo has gotten more lenient (though you'll still wind up occassionally with stuff like Fire Emblem Fates or Xenoblade Chronicles X) and Sony somewhat more restrictive but not to the point you have games censoring religious imagery or removing alcoholic beverages just covering up partial nudity or full nudity (which they and many other publisher's have been pretty strong about throughout the years) along with some hard to justify gameplay mechanics.

I_Drive_DSM wrote:
It may be noteworthy to point out that the original intention of Omega Labyrinth Life when it was announced - not when they announced the release date - going on nine months ago was for it to be a Switch exclusive. At the time, the publisher argued that the scenes and games requiring the player to "touch" worked better with the Switch, rather than dealing with the point-and-click aspect of the PS4's touch pad.

Well not like they were lying there the touch pad is easily one of the worse parts about the PS4 controller.....aside from the usual problems with wireless controllers.

I_Drive_DSM wrote:
But oh yeah, it's also a roguelike.

Which is definitely something that people thinking this game will be one of the key titles to make Sony rethink their stance should consider. Roguelikes are.....not exactly well liked outside of japan for a reason. So while the uncensored version of the game may do numbers (if it's localized) it's not going to do erm huge numbers on par with more mainstream/niche titles.

I_Drive_DSM wrote:

I also get a little tired of some of the public's stances on "hehe finally the pervs and weebs can't have their games."

I see this far less than I see people actually insisting that Sony is ignoring the will of (a supposedly large group) of people to cater to a small niche easily outraged group who don't play these games anyway. Made more ironic by the fact that many people in the former group will casually admit they don't play some of these games but they're still outraged over the changes being made to these games on principal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1