• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Death by Sleep

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:07 pm Reply with quote
-Pokemon: One of these days I fully expect Nintendo to reveal they've genetically engineered Pokemon

-Death Stranding: Not really feeling it.

-Sonic Movie: Gee, it's almost like a ton of visual design artists probably told the producers the Sonic design was a bad idea and though they'd like to say "Toldja!" they now have to work overtime because the people running studios are idiots.

-Star Ocean: Always interested despite 5 being so tepid, but I'd rather have more Valkyrie Profile.

-Avengers: Oh right, this was a thing. Just like Square to announce something and then forget about it for years. I remember a rumor about this time last year claiming the game was an Ultimate Alliance reboot....then Ultimate Alliance 3 was announced. Talk about aging badly. We'll see how it goes

And I got into the Granblue Versus beta. Good times
Northlander

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:16 pm Reply with quote
The only Star Ocean game I've played through properly is Second Story, which did, to my knowledge, not have as much time travel as dimension/space/wormhole travel through sorta-kinda magical means. I did kind of like the idea that being able to choose between two characters at the start of the game had the opening segment (and various later events) play out a bit differently, although I didn't as much appreciate not choosing Rena meant having to give up one of the better characters in the game. Nor do I remember whether choosing her also meant I wouldn't be getting one of the others.

I tried one on the PS2 as well, but as far as that one went -- pretty sure it was the third -- I remember struggling with the tedium that was the battle engine before just ditching it altogether.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I got into the Granblue Versus beta. No idea who I'll be playing as, because I didn't get far enough in my attempt to play GBF to meet any of these characters (the long, browser-style loading times between every click, even in the phone app, were a real turn-off).
I do, however, know that I'll be missing sleep to play it, because the beta only runs in three five-hour chunks, all of which are inconvenient for my time zone.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Bioshock Infinite long forgotten? We must have played different games and live in different dimensions, because the only Bioshock Infinite I remember is the one that some regard as better than the original, a game that still stands as a classic, and one of the trippyest and more intriguing endings in gaming in a while if not history.

Also say what I will about Star Ocean 3 overall, the ending is the kind of bat shit insane thing that would be part of like pretty much any conversation on legendary gaming endings if it was part of some semi mainstream series and not an obscure franchise like Star Ocean that makes Breath of Fire and Suikoden look like mainstream franchises.

Also I dont get the hate on Kojima, even if you dont like him, its not like Metal Gear is the only thing he ever did. He is also responsible for imo the better franchise ZOE, and the enjoyable gimmick game that puts nintendo to shame, in Boktai. I personal think Metal Gear peaked after the first Solid game, but I am not going to argue that Kojima is anything but one of the legends of the industry rightfully in the company of some like Miyamoto. Also the guy gave us PT, a freaking demo, that is still being copied, and leaves full games in shame.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:11 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

-Avengers: Oh right, this was a thing. Just like Square to announce something and then forget about it for years. I remember a rumor about this time last year claiming the game was an Ultimate Alliance reboot....then Ultimate Alliance 3 was announced. Talk about aging badly.

Game was announced in 2017 essentially 2 years ago how is that aging badly?

This isn't like Final Fantasy VII being envisioned as a tech demo to showcase the power of the PS3.......than getting announced for a proper remake like 11 years later that also is going to be split into multiple parts just like the PS1 game was (except you may have to buy those other parts).

CrownKlown wrote:
Bioshock Infinite long forgotten? We must have played different games and live in different dimensions, because the only Bioshock Infinite I remember is the one that some regard as better than the original, a game that still stands as a classic, and one of the trippyest and more intriguing endings in gaming in a while if not history.

A game that despite all the accolades, sales, and positive word of mouth it obtained in it's lifetime couldn't prevent it's studio from laying off a large percentage of it's staff and literally is barely mentioned nowadays positively or negatively?

CrownKlown wrote:
and the enjoyable gimmick game that puts nintendo to shame, in Boktai.

Boktai's solar sensor gimmick was a big part of the reason the game never got anywhere and subsequently why the 3rd game was never released outside of Japan.

CrownKlown wrote:
Also the guy gave us PT, a freaking demo, that is still being copied, and leaves full games in shame.

Which I find highly curious given that it really hasn't, given that PT was a fad that long since came and went. The only why people still talk about it is the fact it was supposed to be a new Silent Hill title and that it was supposed to involve Norman Reedus and Guillermo Del Toro.
harminia

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 12:07 am Reply with quote
Gonna play as Charlotta 2P and maybe try out the Lowain bros in GBF!

I know I played Star Ocean 1 and 2 but I barely remember anything about them so I don't even remember a weird time travel twist anymore
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:15 am Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:
I got into the Granblue Versus beta. No idea who I'll be playing as, because I didn't get far enough in my attempt to play GBF to meet any of these characters (the long, browser-style loading times between every click, even in the phone app, were a real turn-off).
I do, however, know that I'll be missing sleep to play it, because the beta only runs in three five-hour chunks, all of which are inconvenient for my time zone.

Don't worry too much. If you check the in-game guides, there's a part where it says those are the times the servers will be up for online play. When they aren't, you'll get solo play enabled.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:39 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
The only Star Ocean game I've played through properly is Second Story, which did, to my knowledge, not have as much time travel as dimension/space/wormhole travel through sorta-kinda magical means. I did kind of like the idea that being able to choose between two characters at the start of the game had the opening segment (and various later events) play out a bit differently, although I didn't as much appreciate not choosing Rena meant having to give up one of the better characters in the game. Nor do I remember whether choosing her also meant I wouldn't be getting one of the others.

I tried one on the PS2 as well, but as far as that one went -- pretty sure it was the third -- I remember struggling with the tedium that was the battle engine before just ditching it altogether.

Star ocean 2 is pretty universally considered the best of the series, it's also the most different one in many way.

Rena and Claude each had an exclusive character that only they could recite, but they were more character in the game than you could actually recruit anyway, so it didn't matter that much that you could only one of the two exclusive one. Although some of the other character are really hard to recruit if you don't know about them, doubt many people recruited Opera on there own.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:42 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

I think the original Bioshock will be remembered a bit more but I do think Infinite will definitely be remembered as well. It shouldn't even be up for debate that 2 will likely be remembered the least, it's a great game but just lacking in creativity due to just having us visit Rapture again.

Also, why did the article link for this week mention Resident Evil news? I got really excited thinking there was some announcement I missed, but there's nothing in the article.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:06 am Reply with quote
I am usually excited for Pokemon new spin-off games, they are pretty cool and unique to the core series. Also, Gen 8 is going to be really cool, i am hoping my prediction will came true as usual! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1