• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My Hero Academia GN 18

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:32 pm Reply with quote
The Chisaki/Overhaul arc started out okay but ended pretty messily. Chisaki and Eri's quirks were conceptually interesting, but I think they worked out all right. For me, the lack of visual clarity stems from there being too many things going on and not enough to tie them together. There were multiple groups working during the mission, and multiple enemies, and as a result, the whole arc started to lose focus.

On the other hand, Nighteye's quirk was the one that seemed poorly executed. Granted, any quirk that involves time travel, foresight, etc. was gonna be tricky, but Midoriya's defying fate seemed like a bit of a cop-out, and something I've seen a dozen times before. It didn't have the believability that, say, Jin's foresight has in World Trigger. (For those who aren't familiar with this series, Jin can see some of the future, but the details are vague, leaving some wiggle room for unpredictability.)

The provisional license exam was well done, I thought, demonstrating that heroes need to take the wants and needs of others into consideration to win them over, even if said heroes aren't good with people. It was also a nice return to the "Academia" parts of the series, which I'd started to miss.

Agreed on the Endeavor plotting! His character growth will be an interesting thing to witness.

Good review, though I ended up not necessarily agreeing with large chunks of it. The "C+" for the story seems accurate, though.
Badcrazy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:13 pm Reply with quote
To me this feels like the worst arc so far. A lot of interesting stuff happens with good fights but the story behind it is very weak. particularly the fact lots of characters die or nearly die but the reason to really give a damn is really not given so you just read and read without any emotional fulfilment.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I will always consider this Arc a middle finger to The Incredibles' cap joke.

Not just the best one liner on the whole manga it's about why heroes wear capes, but the whole final fight was won thanks to Mirio's cape.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:42 pm Reply with quote
And here begins the point where inevitably a backlash against MHA starts to appear with people complaining about Eri's power being an "asspull" and the whole Sir. Nighteye business. Though I think once this arc is animated, it will become a lot better appreciated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1