Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Files Anti-SLAPP Motion to Dismiss Vic Mignogna's Lawsuit


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
maximilianjenus



Joined: 29 Apr 2013
Posts: 1872
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:26 am Reply with quote
Good luck, if another company did to an employee what funimation did to miñonga that would mean not one, but millions of dolalrs in seetlements and legal expenses even if it was proven in court the employee was guilty. They acted like a college student throwing a trantrum, not like a professional company, so well, good luck not getting your company bankrupt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hiroki not Takuya



Joined: 17 Apr 2012
Posts: 1210
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:42 am Reply with quote
Gotta admit, ANN uses a great picture of Vic for these articles! That's as far as I'm interested until the actual trial (or not) Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ambimunch



Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Posts: 2011
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:49 am Reply with quote
Yeah this isn't going to work out for Funimation. They're knee deep in it now, and there's no getting out of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ryuji-Dono



Joined: 26 Apr 2018
Posts: 128
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:53 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Yeah this isn't going to work out for Funimation. They're knee deep in it now, and there's no getting out of it.


That sounds like if Vic's lawsuit will have any effect on them and the women who accused him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paulchaested



Joined: 04 Oct 2016
Posts: 102
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:58 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Yeah this isn't going to work out for Funimation. They're knee deep in it now, and there's no getting out of it.


I know Ron and Monica for sure are not getting out of this. As of now things don't look too good for them since they keep stalling the discovery phase and continuously refuses to provide their "evidence".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ryuji-Dono



Joined: 26 Apr 2018
Posts: 128
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:59 am Reply with quote
paulchaested wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
Yeah this isn't going to work out for Funimation. They're knee deep in it now, and there's no getting out of it.


I know Ron and Monica for sure are not getting out of this. As of now things don't look too good for them since they keep stalling the discovery phase and continuously refuses to provide their "evidence".


They can't share the evidence to the public. It's a legal matter that you should understand.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ANN Forum Mod / Admin



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 6
Location: This account can not receive PMs
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:02 am Reply with quote
So we have another article about the Vic situation, and with it, another talkback thread. In the past, these threads have often gotten very caustic and led to a lot of hassle and grief for both regular posters and the moderators.

So before posting here, keep in mind the ANN forum rules. If you haven't read them for a while, or maybe you've never read them, please read/review them now.

Also, for this thread in particular, a few others things to keep in mind are:

-Don't victim blame
-No trolling. Virtually every Vic related article on ANN has brought with it a bunch of brand new accounts of people registering just to troll and stir things up. Don't do this. Also even if you already have an account and so don't need to register a new one to troll, still don't do it.
-Be careful about misinformation and conspiracy theories, and avoid repeating them here. There are a LOT of people pushing an agenda and spreading false info related to this, and in the past this has been a big problem in some of these threads. So don't do it.


Last edited by ANN Forum Mod / Admin on Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 7875
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:03 am Reply with quote
Vic’s lawsuit is falling apart at the seams. So many people are coming forward and his legal counsel is a floundering clout chaser that law Twitter is constantly dunking on. I’m afraid it’s curtains for this sexual predator and his cult is in full denial mode.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Moderator


Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 2969
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:10 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Good luck, if another company did to an employee what funimation did to miñonga that would mean not one, but millions of dolalrs in seetlements and legal expenses even if it was proven in court the employee was guilty. They acted like a college student throwing a trantrum, not like a professional company, so well, good luck not getting your company bankrupt.


1) Vic's not an employee of Funimation. He's an independent contracter.

2) What Funimation "did" to Vic was decide not to continue to contract with him after they decided that there were credible accusations of sexual misconduct regarding Vic.

3) I'm baffled by the "throwing a tantrum" thing. Like, I can at least sort of understand some of the arguments made against the other defendants in Vic's lawsuit, I disagree with all of them, but some of those defendants did get quite emotional, and made hyperbolic statements.

But Funimation literally made a grand total of three tweets, and one of those tweets was just to correct the fact that they accidentally left out the word "condone" in the tweet before. Essentially just two tweets, both very carefully written in cooperate speak as to not say or imply too much about Vic. "Throwing a tantrum" seems kind of absurd to me.

4) "The "even if proven guilty" kind of says more than I think you realized. Like, you don't specify what Vic would be proven guilty of (he hasn't yet been tried in any criminal court) so I don't know what specific accusations against Vic you mean.

But Vic has been accused of being a creep, a sexual harasser, possibly a pedophile, sexual assault, a sexual predator, and so forth, he's been accused of so many things it would take too long to list them all. Now, I know some Vic defenders are convinced he's innocent of all this, and thus what happened to him is unfair. I disagree that he's innocent, but I can at least understand the viewpoint: if he WAS innocent, then him losing out on future employment opportunities, and a bunch of people falsely believing he's a predator, would be very bad.

But it's a little baffling, and a little terrifying, to hear someone say EVEN IF HE'S PROVEN GUILTY of all of that stuff, Funimation is still in the wrong... for deciding not to contract with him anymore, and tweeting about their decision.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Ashabel



Joined: 16 Feb 2010
Posts: 291
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:26 am Reply with quote
Funimation's TCPA is truly incredible. At 168 pages long and filled with numerous very specific references, it's not the kind of TCPA somebody files to deal with average lawsuit. This is the sort of TCPA somebody constructs in order to make a painfully embarrassing public example out of what happens when someone behaves the way Mignogna did.

Probably the most interesting aspect of the call-out panorama is a confirmation that Vic has shamelessly and repeatedly lied when he claimed he wasn't allowed to stand up for himself during the HR investigations conducted by Funimation. The TCPA confirms that they have conducted thorough interviews with him based on findings and stories they gathered from other employees, and it's precisely his responses during those interviews that made them decide to terminate their relationship with him.

But hey, look on the bright side. At least his lawyers will still be paid with all the money they grifted off idiots who donated to the GoFundMe. Vic will only have to deal with the court fees, as well as those sweet sweet frivolous lawsuit fines.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bluesheep02



Joined: 27 Mar 2006
Posts: 71
Location: Tokyo, Japan
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:27 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:
Good luck, if another company did to an employee what funimation did to miñonga that would mean not one, but millions of dolalrs in seetlements and legal expenses even if it was proven in court the employee was guilty. They acted like a college student throwing a trantrum, not like a professional company, so well, good luck not getting your company bankrupt.


1) Vic's not an employee of Funimation. He's an independent contracter.

2) What Funimation "did" to Vic was decide not to continue to contract with him after they decided that there were credible accusations of sexual misconduct regarding Vic.

3) I'm baffled by the "throwing a tantrum" thing. Like, I can at least sort of understand some of the arguments made against the other defendants in Vic's lawsuit, I disagree with all of them, but some of those defendants did get quite emotional, and made hyperbolic statements.

But Funimation literally made a grand total of three tweets, and one of those tweets was just to correct the fact that they accidentally left out the word "condone" in the tweet before. Essentially just two tweets, both very carefully written in cooperate speak as to not say or imply too much about Vic. "Throwing a tantrum" seems kind of absurd to me.

4) "The "even if proven guilty" kind of says more than I think you realized. Like, you don't specify what Vic would be proven guilty of (he hasn't yet been tried in any criminal court) so I don't know what specific accusations against Vic you mean.

But Vic has been accused of being a creep, a sexual harasser, possibly a pedophile, sexual assault, a sexual predator, and so forth, he's been accused of so many things it would take too long to list them all. Now, I know some Vic defenders are convinced he's innocent of all this, and thus what happened to him is unfair. I disagree that he's innocent, but I can at least understand the viewpoint: if he WAS innocent, then him losing out on future employment opportunities, and a bunch of people falsely believing he's a predator, would be very bad.

But it's a little baffling, and a little terrifying, to hear someone say EVEN IF HE'S PROVEN GUILTY of all of that stuff, Funimation is still in the wrong... for deciding not to contract with him anymore, and tweeting about their decision.
This made me lol

This whole scandal reminds me of why rather than get involved with the anime fandom I just followed my interests and moved to Japan 6 years ago. It’s like...insane how delusional some people can be.

This reminds me of John Gacy and Ted Bundy...so many people defended them for being such honest good guys...people really are gullible to the point of beyond stupid.

Speaking of stupid, can people actually READ the entire article and details before forming an opinion? A contractor is not an employee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Teraman



Joined: 22 Nov 2016
Posts: 36
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:29 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
But it's a little baffling, and a little terrifying, to hear someone say EVEN IF HE'S PROVEN GUILTY of all of that stuff, Funimation is still in the wrong... for deciding not to contract with him anymore, and tweeting about their decision.

I'm already seeing the narrative being spun here and in other discussions so that Funi is the loser no matter what the actual outcome.

"Even if Funi wins the lawsuit their reputation won't recover"
"The anti-SLAPP motion won't succeed as long as the judge is competent."

It's almost like Vic supporters know they're backed into a corner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xBTAx



Joined: 05 Mar 2010
Posts: 178
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:33 am Reply with quote
paulchaested wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
Yeah this isn't going to work out for Funimation. They're knee deep in it now, and there's no getting out of it.


I know Ron and Monica for sure are not getting out of this. As of now things don't look too good for them since they keep stalling the discovery phase and continuously refuses to provide their "evidence".


How have they stalled it? How have they not provided evidence? Not only did they actually give answers even to questions they simultaneously argued against having to answer, but they’ve only “refused” to give certain names without the promise that those names won’t be leaked online. Which makes total sense given that Vic’s lawyer openly associates with hatesites. And doesn’t seem like refusing to provide evidence at all, given that they would still be giving those names and their stories to the court.

Honestly, I sincerely still don’t understand the argument that they’re hiding a lack of evidence with this. They’ve asked for a small amount of confidentiality, but the end result of that would still be them giving the information to the court. Like, either way they need to provide the evidence and the court gets to examine it. I really don’t see how getting their way actually lets anyone avoid anything other than, well, internet harassment?

Just... please stop trusting what the YouTube lawyer and his buddy say uncritically. Frankly, the only good part of this whole legal mess has been the validating feeling of all these other lawyers chiming in with “they actually are just as incompetent and unlikely to succeed as it seems”.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BodaciousSpacePirate
It's Over 9000!It's Over 9000!


Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Posts: 2728
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In the document, Funimation is represented by John Volney of Lynn Pinker Cox & Hurst in Dallas, Texas.


Seems like overkill to me (they're one of those "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" firms), but I guess this is one of those situations where it pays to be backed by Sony's deep pockets.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
SyranoGravely



Joined: 22 Apr 2019
Posts: 68
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:34 am Reply with quote
Teraman wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
But it's a little baffling, and a little terrifying, to hear someone say EVEN IF HE'S PROVEN GUILTY of all of that stuff, Funimation is still in the wrong... for deciding not to contract with him anymore, and tweeting about their decision.

I'm already seeing the narrative being spun here and in other discussions so that Funi is the loser no matter what the actual outcome.

"Even if Funi wins the lawsuit their reputation won't recover"
"The anti-SLAPP motion won't succeed as long as the judge is competent."

It's almost like Vic supporters know they're backed into a corner.


That would assume they're actually dealing with reality. At least the sex pest cult hasn't completely festered in these here parts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group