• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime NYC Event to Host Voice Actress Rie Kugimiya in Her 1st U.S. Appearance

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soaringfalco1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:21 pm Reply with quote
You better make her feel welcomed New York!
AholePony

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Man I'd love to go to this and see a panel with the Queen of Tsundere. This event is on the wrong coast for me unfortunately Sad
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Awesome.

(I wonder if anyone will request a "Urusai! Urusai! Urusai!)
casenumber00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:31 am Reply with quote
I really hope that charging for autographs doesnt become a trend of Japanese guests at cons. Even for a celeb autograph, thats not an A-list, $125 is pretty high.
Shiggity

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:10 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Awesome.

(I wonder if anyone will request a "Urusai! Urusai! Urusai!)

If no one requests Kugimiya-san to say that then they're not true fans.

Dude... I'm so excited about this announcement! I'll be attending her panel if it means I miss other things around that same time. Holy crap.
LiteMangime

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:19 am Reply with quote
"I-It's not like I came just because you asked for it, alright?" To be able to hear that line by the Tsundere Queen herself in the flesh, y'all sum lucky azz mofos.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:03 am Reply with quote
Pretty cool she is finally coming to the US.. however $125 for an autograph? no thanks

Otakon Vegas did the same thing with their guests back in 2016.. there were no JP VA's at the con. Some guests didn't charge, and others were pretty shameless about it.. (here's looking at you Todd).

If you really want it you'll pony up for it...
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:49 am Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Pretty cool she is finally coming to the US.. however $125 for an autograph? no thanks

Otakon Vegas did the same thing with their guests back in 2016.. there were no JP VA's at the con. Some guests didn't charge, and others were pretty shameless about it.. (here's looking at you Todd).

General rule is if you're popular, you can charge money. The more popular, the more you can charge Laughing Cause people will pay. And it's how VAs make their money since actual VAing pays pretty bad. The real popular VAs can pull in like 20K a con. Plus I imagine a fee helps weed out the wait times and queues. If somethin' is free then everyone can go get it, but then you add on a fee and suddenly half the people lose interest.
TD912

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:02 am Reply with quote
Is it the con that charges money, or the seiyuu? Being that some charge and others don't I'm guessing it's the seiyuu?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:23 pm Reply with quote
$125? What a shake down. Who does she think she is? She may have been Alphonse, but she seems more like Greed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I'm surprised Kugimiya never made it to an AX or other West Coast convention back in the 2000s. But I guess her workload may have slowed down, now that she's on the "wrong side" of 40, and the tsundere-loli roles she used to get are going to younger (and cheaper!) VAs.

When you're smack dab in the middle of flyover country, there's either zero or two "wrong coasts"; if she were coming to ACen or AKon (~8/14-hour drives), I'd definitely be tempted to make the trip. Maybe there'll be other opportunities if her star in Japan truly has dimmed a bit.

DavetheUsher wrote:
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

General rule is if you're popular, you can charge money. The more popular, the more you can charge Laughing Cause people will pay. And it's how VAs make their money since actual VAing pays pretty bad. The real popular VAs can pull in like 20K a con. Plus I imagine a fee helps weed out the wait times and queues. If somethin' is free then everyone can go get it, but then you add on a fee and suddenly half the people lose interest.

Conventions also pay VAs appearance fees, and those can easily get into the 5-figure range for major guests at large conventions. The cost of bringing a huge-name Japanese guest like Kugimiya could be quite astronomical, between appearance fees and travel/logistical expenses. Some contracts may allow cons to offset those appearance fees via autograph charges, i.e. they guarantee a guest X amount, and at the end of the con, they pay that amount minus whatever the guest earned from autograph fees.
In a way, charging for autographs is more equitable to a con's attendees as a whole, because it allows the attendees who're most interested in a guest to bear a more proportionate share of the costs of having that guest at the con in the first place. If guests aren't charging for autographs, those appearance fees are still being paid out of the con's general revenues, meaning that all the attendees who aren't interested in a guest are effectively subsidizing the cost of the autographs signed for that guest's biggest fans.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:39 am Reply with quote
The whole paying for autographs thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I realize this started with Comicon in San Diego.. in my case Otakon Vegas is not Comicon, nowhere near the draw or size. And in full disclosure ALL guests signed the convention guide for free, its if you wanted something else signed there was a cost for it.

I've encountered this at AX, but usually its hidden behind a buy this and get that schema.. which I still do not agree with, but at least your getting something other then an autograph out of it.

Regardless it's cool to see she is out here but not $125 cool.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1