• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Assassins Pride (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:55 am Reply with quote

Assassins Pride (TV)

Genres: Fantasy
Themes:

Plot Summary
In a world where only nobles wield the sacred power of mana to wage war against the creatures of darkness, a curious absence of ability places young Merida in a precarious position. Under the guise of tutelage, Kufa, a ruthless assassin, is sent to assess Merida’s abilities and determine if she is the true-born heir of the prestigious Angel family. If she does not measure up to her family’s expectations, another, more ruthless plan will be set in motion…

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anime adaptation of the light novel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:33 am Reply with quote
It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a first episode that much. The world is just dripping with Gothic atmosphere to the point I'm surprised it's not running the streets red with blood and rose petals set against its eternally dark sky.

I'm not tempering my expectations at all, I want to see where this will go as it's pressing so many of my buttons for both theme and setting... look, Melida Angel's nickname is Lita and she wants to be one of the battling Angels and her maids are named Aimee, Grace, Myra and Nietzsche and her instructor/savior/assassin is named Kufa Vampir.
It's stupid, so gloriously and tone deaf stupid that I love it. Here's the English tagline to the title, a la Hellsing or Eternal Darkness:

"It has spread the darknessoutside city-state Flansdore
He and she met in kind of world."

The Darkness is coming! Wait, never mind, it's here already. This work wears its thefts on its chest with pride.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:55 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a first episode that much. The world is just dripping with Gothic atmosphere to the point I'm surprised it's not running the streets red with blood and rose petals set against its eternally dark sky.

I'm not tempering my expectations at all, I want to see where this will go as it's pressing so many of my buttons for both theme and setting... look, Melida Angel's nickname is Lita and she wants to be one of the battling digitalocean Angels and her maids are named Aimee, Grace, Myra and Nietzsche and her instructor/savior/assassin is named Kufa Vampir.
It's stupid, so gloriously and tone deaf stupid that I love it. Here's the English tagline to the title, a la Hellsing or Eternal Darkness:

"It has spread the darknessoutside city-state Flansdore
He and she met in kind of world ilovepdf."

The Darkness is coming! Wait, never mind, it's here already. This work wears its thefts on its chest with pride.

Reduction of blood and violence is surely due to the increasing children audience. This is a good thing and a bad thing at the same time. This will reduce fiction and the shivering moments.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I kind of wish that I could go into detail of depth of parts of this show, but I also kind of feel shallowly about it at the same time. Start off with what I see above about a mention of gothic atmosphere, I like some good gothic atmosphere, and while I can see it a bit, I also think it was kind of poor, a bit shallow. I think that I kind of wrote it off early on because it just felt too shallowly done, that rather than pulling gothic aspects, it feels like a copy of something that did that, saw something cool in another series, and decided to do that.

But, in the face of that, I kind of feel like I judged it to early in a number of ways, such as character motivation, that I felt a little stupid after writing things off, and then managing to do some good work. Especially in ways that rather than following the male protagonist that we started off with, it instead followed more closely Melida, having her want to prove herself and was much more her journey, Kufa being more of a mystery she tried to unravel. I think that was a nice turn of the story, and following one where these young girls were trying to find their own way as able warriors.

That kind of moves over to another problem I had, Melida was young, 13 I think, and it kind of felt just gross that a lot of things were around her kind of crush on the clearly quite a bit older Kufa. Even if he wasn't trying to show off to be attractive to her, it kind of felt strongly that he was written that way; an older teenager not quite adult that Melida wanted to get his approval. It felt like every motivation of hers that was not about him was always the more interesting. But if there was a particular guy I did not like, it would have been the noble guy who I think rose orphans, that just kept talking in a ridiculous pompous way, and I pretty sure remember was executing people in what may have been needless ways. I was a little confused in that arc too, where he seemed to have something out for Kufa, but apparently was already familiar with him from the past, and so should have known more. Feels like he was just forgiven or forgotten in the end after doing a bunch of awful things.

But anyway, it looked okay, I think it mostly sounded okay, and it managed to surprise me in places for being better than I expected, but I also think it did not entirely redeem itself, and had parts I was not such a fan of. The way Melida's father was at the end of the episode just seemed kind of different from how he was up till now. My rating for the series would be Decent (6/10), I am sure some people are going to rate it higher, it is not of low quality, this just feels like my reaction that I would want better than this sort of thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1