• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth Game Gets Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RenRen94

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:54 am Reply with quote
Never though there would be a continuation, I wonder why they chose now to make a new season instead of ~1 year or so after Mask of Truth's release. I still need to play Mask of Deception, it's sitting on my shelf.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:44 am Reply with quote
Yeah i never tought this would be animated too, this means we now have the full trilogy animated, i guess the main female leads voice actress condition might have truly affected it getting an anime az she only got back recently, well whatever the case, it is getting made, so happy day[/list]
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:08 am Reply with quote
RenRen94 wrote:
Never though there would be a continuation, I wonder why they chose now to make a new season instead of ~1 year or so after Mask of Truth's release. I still need to play Mask of Deception, it's sitting on my shelf.

Both lead voice actors (Risa Taneda and Keiji Fujiwara) went on hiatus due to the health issues.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:04 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm up for it as long as it's not as meandering and inconclusive as Utawarerumono: The False Faces.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:00 am Reply with quote
I honestly thought this would never happen, and if they wanna do justice to the story they'll have to retcon the ending of The False Faces and make it 52+ episodes... but hey, worst case scenario is we still get new Suara OP/EDs and some good gifs!

For folks who are anime-only watchers, something to keep in mind is that the third game (Futari no Hakuoro / Mask of Truth) is almost twice as long as the one that The False Faces was based on (Itsuwari no Kamen / Mask of Deception) and also has much less slice-of-life material. It's a very dense story, and it's gonna be tough to adapt it into an anime series without them cutting out lots of details... Of course, that's exactly what they did in TFF, so all we can do here is cross our fingers and hope that this is in the hands of a better director.

But if you're hoping for something more conclusive, whoo boy, are you in for a treat. Itsuwari is just a prologue that establishes the setting for Futahaku.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:53 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
Yeah i never tought this would be animated too, this means we now have the full trilogy animated, i guess the main female leads voice actress condition might have truly affected it getting an anime az she only got back recently, well whatever the case, it is getting made, so happy day[/list]

Risa Taneda? Her hiatus ended years. Ago so I doubt that's related. She was only on hiatus from September 2016 to August 2017. So when this game came out, she was back.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:28 am Reply with quote
Please have an entirely different director/staff than the Itsuwari no Kamen anime. That was just a complete mess that missed nearly everything that made the game so enjoyable.
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first 2. I'd really like a good conclusion
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:09 pm Reply with quote
The first season of Utawarerumono established an interesting fantasy world with a great combination of action, romance, and political intrigue. The second season was mostly good and while it did have a lot of slice of life episodes it expanded the fantasy world and had a more complex romance subplot with Haku and Kuon. It is good to hear that there will be a third season since it stopped in the middle of a story.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Weird that this would come so long after the actual game, but neat nonetheless. It's likely to be a complete mess considering how much dang content the third game has, but you never know. For the record, I consider the third game to be the best among the trilogy, partly because of the foundation the second game provided, but a lot due to its own merits and how it builds upon that foundation. It's not perfect and has pacing issues due to its length, but it's a really great game.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:15 am Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
I honestly thought this would never happen, and if they wanna do justice to the story they'll have to retcon the ending of The False Faces and make it 52+ episodes... but hey, worst case scenario is we still get new Suara OP/EDs and some good gifs!

YES... very much YES!

I am not as critical on the False Faces Anime as most.. but @Vanadise hit it right on the head. The ending of False Faces is probably the biggest standout example of this manipulation. Mostly because it directly contradicts events in MOT.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1