Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Video Game Rankings, October 21-27




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
OjaruFan2



Joined: 09 Jul 2018
Posts: 277
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:50 am Reply with quote
How popular is Call of Duty in Japan?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
omegafinal



Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Posts: 49
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:50 am Reply with quote
Maybe more of a behind the scenes thing, when did Activision get back Japanese publishing right for Call of Duty? Square-Enix usually handled it over there. Unless they still are and they are only listing the developer. (But then, 505 Games is Bloodstained's publisher, so...)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Commander Cluck



Joined: 02 May 2019
Posts: 94
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:41 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
How popular is Call of Duty in Japan?


I remember years ago it used to do 300K at launch. 100K seems a bit low. Popularity must be waning or they just don't have as much interest in this one for whatever reason.

But it's always had it's audience in Japan thanks to survival gamers and gun otaku.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Primus



Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Posts: 2499
Location: Toronto
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:23 pm Reply with quote
omegafinal wrote:
Maybe more of a behind the scenes thing, when did Activision get back Japanese publishing right for Call of Duty? Square-Enix usually handled it over there. Unless they still are and they are only listing the developer. (But then, 505 Games is Bloodstained's publisher, so...)


The publisher info in the article is incorrect. Activision didn't publish Modern Warfare 2019 on PS4. Square Enix hasn't published Call of Duty games in Japan for a few years now, either. They're published by Sony on PlayStation platforms. Microsoft used to do the same for the Xbox versions, but it seems they're download-only now in Japan, so Activision self-published it.

(505 Games didn't self-published Bloodstained in Japan either, it's was co-published by Game Source Entertainment.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
residentgrigo



Joined: 23 Dec 2007
Posts: 1633
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:17 am Reply with quote
I always wonder how the Japanese gun otaku audience takes to the stories of the Apolitical Warfare games or are they just in it for the online modes. To think that a game that recreates Benghazi of all things can get universal praise and though the roof stales around the world. The world of gaming is clearly its own thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crispy45



Joined: 23 Sep 2012
Posts: 296
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:41 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I always wonder how the Japanese gun otaku audience takes to the stories of the Apolitical Warfare games or are they just in it for the online modes. To think that a game that recreates Benghazi of all things can get universal praise and though the roof stales around the world. The world of gaming is clearly its own thing.


Does anyone care about the 5-hour story campaign in a Call of Duty game? Pretty sure most people just play it for the multiplayer part. I get the feeling they just have a story mode because they're required to, or to let the game have some way to play it after everyone moves on to next year's game for multiplayer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rockman nes



Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 271
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:
OjaruFan2 wrote:
How popular is Call of Duty in Japan?


I remember years ago it used to do 300K at launch. 100K seems a bit low. Popularity must be waning or they just don't have as much interest in this one for whatever reason.

But it's always had it's audience in Japan thanks to survival gamers and gun otaku.


nice av/post combo


sorry i had to do it ya Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 3901
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:

Does anyone care about the 5-hour story campaign in a Call of Duty game?


Yes actually.

Crispy45 wrote:
Pretty sure most people just play it for the multiplayer part. I get the feeling they just have a story mode because they're required to,


With Black Ops jettisoning it and the last few Battlefield games essentially using it's single player modes to serve as tutorials for the multiplayer mode. It's not really a requirement.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group