• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fragtime Anime's Production: Tear Studio Is Out of Contact & Unreachable

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:01 am Reply with quote
With so many new studios popping up in recent years. There will be quite a few that don't make it. Doesn't look like they had a big hit and there last series was a short.
Shiratori-san

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:23 am Reply with quote
Well, I really liked the manga Fragtime and have high expectations for the movie. And the trailer on MAL looks really nice too.

I've never seen anything from the Tear Studio yet, but it's sad if they went under.
Netero

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:04 am Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:
Doesn't look like they had a big hit

The smaller studios generally just get paid an agreed fee whether the show is a hit or not. If they do their work within budget then they make a profit, but if they run over budget then they will lose money. Like Studio Actas and Girls & Panzer - the show was a big hit, but they ran over budget and lost money on it.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:34 am Reply with quote
Netero wrote:
Escaflowne2001 wrote:

The smaller studios generally just get paid an agreed fee whether the show is a hit or not. If they do their work within budget then they make a profit, but if they run over budget then they will lose money. Like Studio Actas and Girls & Panzer - the show was a big hit, but they ran over budget and lost money on it.

But then Bandai bought Actas. But the thing is is that having some really successful series, the company can still be in trouble of being bankrupt if their other series fail.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:44 am Reply with quote
One would think, locking down the studio overnight there would be enough professional courtesy call your business partners say, "Hey, We're shutting down sorry bout that"

This almost sounds like a couple guys loading up everything in to couple of briefcases and hopping first shinkansen to Hokkaido.
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:39 am Reply with quote
There's also a rumor that f-ckin Yamakan is involved in this lol.

https://twitter.com/frog_kun/status/1204311054148227072?s=21
#Synaesthesia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:56 am Reply with quote
how do you lose an animation studio?
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Netero wrote:
Escaflowne2001 wrote:

Yeah I don't think we know the production committee for Fragtime, but Kase san which had the same staff was unusual and literally only had Pony Canyon, so its highly doubtful Tears was on it. There are some rumors Tears had some rights that were solely based on the sudden cancellation of the Fragtime BD earlier this month but I think that was just a coincidence.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:34 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
One would think, locking down the studio overnight there would be enough professional courtesy call your business partners say, "Hey, We're shutting down sorry bout that"

This almost sounds like a couple guys loading up everything in to couple of briefcases and hopping first shinkansen to Hokkaido.

You'd think so, but it can be very embarrassing to admit your business isn't going to make it. It's also possible they thought they could find a way through it if it was kept under wraps, which might explain why they seemingly didn't pay people. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time where somebody decided that if it's crumbling anyway, they might as well take what's left for themselves.
aodmisery

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:44 pm Reply with quote
the uncensored version of why the hell are you here teacher was about to be released tomorrow. i wonder if its still being released
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:32 pm Reply with quote
The captain taking his few comrades and jumping off the sinking ship, I see...

That really sucks for those people, who worked for them without getting paid Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1