• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Promare Anime Film Screens With English Dub, English Subtitles in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Ahhh, Promare. Glad the English dub is getting some love in Japan.
FrodoGate222

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:38 am Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is the first time an anime film has done something like this. Very interesting!
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:45 pm Reply with quote
There have been anime movies that have gotten English dubs released on home video in Japan or screened on Japanese airplane flights but I can’t think of many instances where the English dub has played in Japanese theaters.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
There have been anime movies that have gotten English dubs released on home video in Japan or screened on Japanese airplane flights but I can’t think of many instances where the English dub has played in Japanese theaters.

If I had to guess I'd say because it's Trigger. Sounds like something they'd do.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Curious about what do they think of the dub. ^^ I know there has been some anime they liked better in dub such as Code Geass.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:12 am Reply with quote
capt_bunny wrote:
Curious about what do they think of the dub. ^^ I know there has been some anime they liked better in dub such as Code Geass.

That sounds like an old fake internet rumor to me, like the one where people say Watanabe prefers the dub of Cowboy Bebop over the sub which is sourced from a fake interview where he said no such thing. Given Code Geass has an all-star cast like Jun Fukuyama, which Lelouch is one of his most famous roles, it seems unlikely they'd prefer a version where he's not in it. Or really any Japanese work. There's not much reason for a Japanese person to watch an English version of a Japanese show outside of novelty or practicing English.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:

That sounds like an old fake internet rumor to me, like the one where people say Watanabe prefers the dub of Cowboy Bebop over the sub which is sourced from a fake interview where he said no such thing. Given Code Geass has an all-star cast like Jun Fukuyama, which Lelouch is one of his most famous roles, it seems unlikely they'd prefer a version where he's not in it. Or really any Japanese work. There's not much reason for a Japanese person to watch an English version of a Japanese show outside of novelty or practicing English.

Indeed. I believe this specific rumor started many years ago because there were some positive comments about JYB's performance as Lelouch in a Nicovideo clip, but that doesn't mean they think the original Japanese track is inferior.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1