• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:04 pm Reply with quote

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! (TV)

Genres: Adventure, Comedy, School, Seinen
Themes:

Plot Summary:
Quote:
Midori, Tsubame, and Sayaka are an energetic trio of first-year high school girls who come together in the Eizouken (Video Research Club) to turn their anime dreams into a reality. Midori is nervous to create an anime alone. She meets Tsubame who appears to be a well-to-do girl but she really has artistic dreams of being an animator. Midori's best friend Sayaka has the financial sense to bring the project to fruition and joins the pair on their quest.
(from manga)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
furyk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:15 am Reply with quote
The first episode was incredible. I hope this show hits for everyone else the way it did for me. Yuasa continues to produce distinct works that are both captivating visually and explore interesting premises.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Hmm, I think that this was actually a damn fine first episode. Checked out the preview guide, and I am right along with Theron in not being much of a fan of the director's, Masaaki Yuasa's, general style. The Tatami Galaxy was a show I kind of visually hated to watch, and general what I have seen of Ping Pong has kept me away from it. But actually kind of really liked what I saw in the first episode of this show, I would go so far as to say it actually clicked with me in. Feels like it conveys a good sense of passion for anime, without taking an "ugly" aesthetic too far.

It still has a bit of an aesthetic thing going for it, their school has this sort of strange uncanny element to it. Maybe there are better comparisons from someone who watched more anime movies than I do, but the example that popped into my head was the school from Kill la Kill, not exactly the same but the same sort of chaotic feel.
BSW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:20 am Reply with quote
I still think it could have done without the desperately ugly character designs, but aside from that, I'd rather take a series taht shows so much genuine effort for being enjoyable on its own merits than all the snorefest that has aired this season so far that doesn't even try.

Problem is, as powerful and captivating as the first episode was, I'm afraid it can slow down too much in the future, but here's hoping that the characters won't fall flat and help carry along the visuals and the theme.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Haven't really talked about it, but I think that this show has continued to be pretty great, everything from characters, to focusing around these kids talking, and getting into some creative design and animation. The episode had them going over with the robot club to make an anime for them, but I have suspicions that they might have overdesigned the robot with too many additions to make the animation hard. Kanamori already seemed to take notice of this, that as nice as it was, more stuff won't necessarily make a good final project if they can't finish in the right time.

Kanamori has continued to be my favourite character. Her type just would not be the normal to be in this sort of thing, the money minded producer who is either trying to be a bit of a wet blanket or express some level of profit interest. Also her talk and lanky character design that does not seem to be designed to be "cute" and a being quite dry.

Mizusaki did say that she tries to do a Hadoken every morning before bed, she did win weirdo points.

Also, need to mention that it does seem that the OP, Easy Breezy, is in fact the best opening of the season.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:04 am Reply with quote
I had to look up Hadoken since I'm not a fan of fighting games.

Since it's unlikely Misuzaki can form energy balls, is she just doing the move? And presumably yelling out "Hadoken" and waking up the rest of the family?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjdBXH-_WL4
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:16 am Reply with quote
It is one of the most iconic moves of one of the most iconic fighting game franchises, it would be like trying to do Dragon Ball's Kamehameha, be that kind of geeky dork, like pretending you are using the force on automatic doors. She did say that she tries, not that she does. My take is along the lines of Misuzaki often coming across as the normal one despite being rich and not knowing much about lower cast, but she clearly is a geek to games in addition to anime.

She also seems to be a fan of things like that swordplay, the machete movements to relieve stress and I think was certainly one of the cuts she wanted to focus on in their first anime.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

That was a good ending, I was feeling satisfied even before being able to watch their anime. That they had to edit the it before release drastically to fit the sombre music they were given, but it still worked out pretty excellently. Maybe more artistic than the happy ending they first imagined, and they could pretend that was how it was always going to be. Wonder if there are real world of such examples, the creative process can be fascinating.

And that is the show, the interesting creative process, and how to get something to a finish product beyond just ideas. I enjoyed it, just like I enjoyed plenty of others things in the show, such as the setting, and the various strange characters. Asakusa especially, and Kanamori even more especially. It was a particular comment I saw that let me not feel alone at describing their characters as a little ugly, but in a way that makes them feel like cartoon dorks that would normally be used for male characters, this is not normally how female characters are normally written. It reminds me of how you can often hear how a female centred movie can be really difficult for comedy. Sure you can get comedies with a mostly female cast, but even then you don't get these sort of slapstick things that are not really feminine, or really going to far in trying femininity.

Kanamori certainly my favourite character of the anime, but I had a couple side characters that I was quite fond of. Specifically the dark skinned girls of the student council and their sound girl. Their ethnicity not being Japanese, likely black, it was just kind of cool how these characters were portrayed, not trying to have them come across as strange and exotic. I know it might seem like a low bar, but black characters in anime who don't act like that one guy in Durarara are kind of rare. The girl from the student council also comes as across as strong and cool.

There is so much more to say about this show, like how great it is with the creativity. Like how I said that I have historically not been much of a fan of the director's work in the visual creativity feeling to me like it goes too far that it becomes a bit noxious, but I kind of loved all the creativity here. Thumbs up to the audio cue of what sounds like people making a sound I have no way of describing, but always was a way to bring up this freeing creative spirit of just let the ideas roll. Easy Breazy is still an awesome OP. I could usually expect that once per episode there would be one scene that I would show up and just grip my attention from anything else it might have been on, great.

My rating for the show is, I give my rating of Very good (8/10), a don't miss it. I might even say that it is high on that mark, perhaps just held back a bit for me in moving it higher, because I think despite how well it was at grabbing attention and using things like well done understated humour, it did not have a big impact on emotion that I might have wanted. Such as not a huge impact on Tsubame's arc of wanting to do animation that she loves, and wanting acceptance by her parents. Things like a bunch of men in black interfering kind of felt a tad unrelatable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1