• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Science Fell in Love, So I Tried to Prove it

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm teetering with this series. On the one hand, I like the main characters, especially their embarrassing reactions to each other, (when they get close to each other, for example). I really like the secondary characters, especially Inukai. The third episode had me laughing out loud; the first two didn't. My eyes glaze over any time the episode goes into any scientific explanation by that bear. UGH!!! I get the impression it'll settle into the same structure as these first three, and if so, I'll bale. If they switch things up a tad, I'll stay for the ride. I do like the characters and their designs, but if not.....see ya!
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I’ve enjoyed this series immensely so far, probably because it’s a humorous take on adult romance which I feel is a little grossly under represented in anime. It’s very Wotakoi -esque.

My only real serious gripe thus far is the animation itself is a bit on the meh side. It reminds me of that series Sho-Bitch from a while back.
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm liking this one and I don't generally go for romance animes. To get me they have to have something "different" happening. It's been a while since there was anything decent in the category of comedic/adult romance, so that's a start right there. The last good one I can recall was Love is Hard When You Are An Otaku. If you have forgotten that one, the basis is a mid-20s salaryman at a certain company, a hard-core MMO game otaku in his off time sees the new hire office go-fer, his former cliche childhood friend, and demands she starts dating him. Rough start, right? It turns out he just wants her to watch him play games again, just like when they were kids. But...in the meantime she has developed her own secret life as a BL doujinshi artist with a regular booth at Comiket. It was a very interesting series, and a fun watch.

There are some slightly similar themes at play here, but the execution is starkly different. What I am wondering is whether the little quirks, Expository Bear-sensei, the inexplicably wagging lock of hair, etc will continue to work for very long.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I do enjoy this series, and I actually do buy that they are all coworkers at this lab together so points there.
The series can hit the nail on the head a bit long, However I can totally buy the two main characters and their relationship/ inability to go yay close enough.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:36 pm Reply with quote
It’s quite funny in the manga volume two, the author actually confessed that he used to be a STEM student too (this series starts out from a web series), so he use this series merely as a parody of the STEM tropes themselves, “so don’t treat or see the characters in this series a real representation of real STEM students” he said. But the way he can break down all those famous theorems and laws into understandable language, you can tell the guy has some solid foundations.

Also, he said wearing white coats is one of his personal habits, so don’t project that image on all STEM students, especially those who are not doing laboratory works.

That being said, as an Civil engineering graduate student, I am enjoying the HELL out of this!! This is my series!!! Everything they are doing and struggling academically wise resonates Soooo much with me

Cool
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
It’s quite funny in the manga volume two, the author actually confessed that he used to be a STEM student too (this series starts out from a web series), so he use this series merely as a parody of the STEM tropes themselves, “so don’t treat or see the characters in this series a real representation of real STEM students” he said. But the way he can break down all those famous theorems and laws into understandable language, you can tell the guy has some solid foundations.

Also, he said wearing white coats is one of his personal habits, so don’t project that image on all STEM students, especially those who are not doing laboratory works.

That being said, as an Civil engineering graduate student, I am enjoying the HELL out of this!! This is my series!!! Everything they are doing and struggling academically wise resonates Soooo much with me

Cool

So in a way he's using the white coats as a visual cue that he is making a parody of the standard STEM tropes? Or is that taking it a bit too far?
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:34 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm done. If you've seen one episode, you've seen them all. Maybe they're in a different setting, but hot pastrami, it's Groundhog Day! If it was any kind of funny I'd stick around, but nope, not a smile. I'll save my 22 for something else, thank you....
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:42 am Reply with quote
Well, they finally got me with the lab meeting, the bane of my existence. That's the first thing this series has gotten right - the boredom, the fear of being put on the spot, the whims of the PI. Smile Only the subject matter was fantastical. And the kabedon later was priceless ("times you thought a whole new doorway was about to open").

The lab coats and Himuro's fancy outfits are going to drive me batty till the end though.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm only just dipping my toes into this, but I'm shocked that the technobabble in Episode 1 ... isn't babble! It's not exactly modern, but the brief discussion of polynomial-time reductions & Richard Karp's work is perfectly coherent.

Anime getting computational complexity theory pretty much completely right! What a time to be alive.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:12 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I'm only just dipping my toes into this, but I'm shocked that the technobabble in Episode 1 ... isn't babble! It's not exactly modern, but the brief discussion of polynomial-time reductions & Richard Karp's work is perfectly coherent.

Anime getting computational complexity theory pretty much completely right! What a time to be alive.

That might be the main reason why I couldn't get into this show: it gives me terrible college flashbacks.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, when I said, "the only thing they've gotten right" I only meant about the behavior and life in a lab, and I was being hyperbolic. Razz I was surprised they talked about significant digits, which afaict, is a concept a lot of scientists seem to have forgotten about.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Don't think I've gotten to the bit about sig figs yet -- I'm only just finishing episode 1, heh.

I've not seen reference to sig figs anywhere in modern mathematical research, though, for what it's worth. If approximation error's important, e.g. in switching between floating-point and real-valued arithmetic, you'd just directly prove a theorem showing that you've bounded the error suitably. No need for goofy rounding conventions.

Maybe there are some physical sciences that still pay homage to them in some way? I guess they're a convenient shared trauma. They're too heuristic to have any real importance, I think, though.

EDIT: Although, the idea of not reporting values that appear pointlessly precise given measurement error is quite important. Sig figs come with a bunch of other uninteresting motivations as well, but that particular one shouldn't be overlooked.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:28 pm Reply with quote
As much as I love Himuro the cute ice queen, her jealousy chomps and her OTP with Yukimura, the last two episodes clearly placed the vampire gacha science loli Ibarada as my awesomest character. That was quite a childhood friendship she has with Inukai Smile including not only marriage promise but also various fluids and even first dating sim...
I loved the fact that the equations all made sense to me, I spent 10 minutes just pausing and analyzing their distributions with change to X_{i} and the math tricks used like that with using -(X/20+20/X) to center max value of f(x) to x=20
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:48 pm Reply with quote
For too long at the end, I thought he was sniffing her hair. >.<
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:48 am Reply with quote
Hah, that's awkward.

I interpreted it as him kissing a lock of her hair on my first watch of the scene---this show certainly knows how to up the kawaii factor to 100.

Although kissing hair feels fundamentally a bit gross to me. Strands of hair stuck in my teeth---ew, no thanks. Maybe that's just a personal problem. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3