• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Konami: No Truth to New Silent Hill Game Rumors

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hinotoumei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:37 pm Reply with quote
this article, like the article on PCgamer is very misleading. The rumors involving sony buying Konami's 3 IPS and making exclusive PS5 games based off the IPS with actor Norman Reedus returning to Silent HIlls = not true

The rumors that there are multiple silent hills games in the works , including a soft reboot of the franchise - no comment. Which is the same response given when they asked the first 3 times starting back in January.

For all intents and purposes, based on the fact Konami employees appear to be under an NDA regarding Silent HIll and the art director for the first 3 games working on "multiple new projects" I think the games are pretty much confirmed to be in development at this point..

which is a far cry from you and PCgamer have been promoting.

Stop debunking rumors with more rumors. Thanks.

For those interested..here is the article in question.https://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-news/konami-claims-recent-silent-hill-rumors-are-false/

clearly it can be seen in the article that Konami is only debunking the second set of rumors but has nothing to say (literally this time) about the first set.

in the world of video games an NDA is basically code for "we have something in the works and aren't allowed to tell you" not clarification that the games are not in development, but more so clarification that the rumors are not baseless and possibly true. As previously mentioned, the artist for the first 3 games also announced around the same time these rumors came about that they were back to work on multiple projects. Add in the new silent hill movie announced, the recent liscence renewal/pachinko machine AND Kojima appearing to be at work on a manga which appears to be silent hill themed..

well, I think we can pretty much confirm that something is abrew.

As for the ridiculous rumors that Konami was selling out to sony.. those rumors were clearly fake to begin with..

I am really tired of commentating on this. Do you mind giving us actual news? FOr instance, what is happenign with DFFNT and why is no one outside Japan commentating on it's cancellation?

I think a news article like that would be far more important than misquoting a news article.
Just saying. Though admittedly at this point, all these web news sites seem to be popping out misquotes and fake news so I don't think I'd even believe an official response from any company.

You guys need to get your butts in gear. Literally 2x a day I find myself on PCgamer reading lies, lies that are then further spread to more sites. Get your facts straight. Now is not the time you want people questioning the legitimacy of your claims. There are more people stuck at home then ever reading these sites. the more sub par , misquoted unfactual articles you pop out, the more of these people are reading them. It's bad for business and you need to remove this article from your site and do it properly.
Hinotoumei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:47 pm Reply with quote
"We asked the Konami US PR rep for some clarification on the company’s claim that the rumors were false, asking if both the reported Silent Hill reboot by SIE Japan Studio with Toyama, Ito, and Yamaoka on board, as well as the separate Silent Hills revival that Sony is allegedly pitching to Kojima Productions, are both not true. No response was received after a week of follow-ups. The initial response about the rumors was received within an hour of our first email.

In the Konami rep’s original email, he also said: “It’s not to say we are completely closing the door on the franchise, just not in the way it is being reported.” So, while Konami US is denying that the rumors are true, they’re once again acknowledging that the series is still alive in some way. This echoes what we’ve heard a few times from them since Silent Hills‘ cancelation — that something may happen someday. Another source of ours not referenced in the last rumor post confirmed as such following the post’s publication. We do know that Christophe Gans’ third Silent Hill film is in development, at least.

While we do trust our sources who have shared accurate information with us about multiple game series and industry happenings in the past, publishing Konami’s side of the story is important. That said, the details regarding recent rumors mostly pertain to alleged events happening between Konami Japan, SIE Japan Studio, and Kojima Productions. We have only spoken to Konami US, and we’re hoping for additional information from them to have a clear cut answer about what aspects of the rumors are false; if received, we’ll update this story."

ya..this certainly seems to me like the rumors involving the games are debunked..uh huh
posted for those too lazy to click a link.
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Sounded too good to be true. Oh well.
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:00 pm Reply with quote
IMHO Silent Hill 4 was the last good game in the series, incidentally it was also the last game developed by the original team. I did not really enjoy any of the games after that. So personally I'm fine with no more new SH games, even tho Kojima's take on it would have been interesting. Let Silent Hill rest in peace.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Hinotoumei wrote:
TL;NQ.

Maybe you should calm down a bit for one, two even if "you" believe the rumors of a potential new game being in development based off of absolutely nothing besides speculation that doesn't mean that anyone else should entertain the idea under the same pretense that Konami is working on a New Silent Hill. I mean they haven't released on new game since 2012........7 years ago.

Hinotoumei wrote:

You guys need to get your butts in gear. Literally 2x a day I find myself on PCgamer reading lies, lies that are then further spread to more sites. Get your facts straight. Now is not the time you want people questioning the legitimacy of your claims. There are more people stuck at home then ever reading these sites. the more sub par , misquoted unfactual articles you pop out, the more of these people are reading them. It's bad for business and you need to remove this article from your site and do it properly.

......Yeah I don't think anyone besides yourself is going to question ANN's "journalistic integrity" because one of their writers posted a story that debunks the production of a set of video games that in turn no one can prove are in production. Also if you're going to ask someone to remove a story especially one that you think is wrong maybe you should do it without being so condescending.

Hinotoumei wrote:

suggest you read what I posted.

I suggest you read what they posted as they never said they were.

They said they were fine with the idea of no new Silent Hill games being made, they never said anything about the information of the "alleged" production of these "alleged" games being canceled.

Hinotoumei wrote:
I am really tired of commentating on this. Do you mind giving us actual news? FOr instance, what is happenign with DFFNT and why is no one outside Japan commentating on it's cancellation?

Two things if you actually bother to hit the internet you'd know that many sites have reported on Dissidia NT not getting any further updates. Secondly why would they report on a story concerning a video game that almost no one enjoyed in or outside of Japan essentially being taken behind the shed.......a story that's more than a month old???

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why Konami would sell their popular IPs to begin with. They still use them for pachinko which makes them a ton of money. Pretty sure a new Silent Hill pachinko came out pretty recently too. I know western gamers couldn't care less since it's more or less impossible for those not living in Japan to play them, but they make Konami a lot of money.
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:49 am Reply with quote
Watanabefan wrote:
Sounded too good to be true. Oh well.

yeah it's a shame, at least we still have Resident evil for our horror game fix
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:37 am Reply with quote
“Konami? Make games? The audacity!”

Even EA made a single player game worth a damn a few months ago in Fallen Order.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Even EA made a single player game worth a damn a few months ago in Fallen Order.

Ea only published fallen order they didn't make it
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Fallen Order was published by EA, Respawn Entertainment where the creators (possibly the only competent studio EA owns)
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Ok, Hinotoumei & BadNews you're both done with this thread since you've more or less hijacked it. I've removed many of your posts.

Hinotoumei you're simply spamming the thread with your soapboxing at this point. Many of your posts are gone because of that. Don't post 4 or 5 times in a row and spam threads. That does not allow for discussion, neither does soap boxing and forcing your opinions onto everyone.

BadnewsBlues you need to stop antagonizing situations and then report them. Simply report a user or a post, don't toss gas onto the situation and then do it. That habit is getting old and you've been warned in the past several times by other mods. This is the last one you're getting.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:31 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

Fallen Order was published by EA, Respawn Entertainment where the creators (possibly the only competent studio EA owns)

My point stands it’s still more than Konami is doing with its IP’s.
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
theNightster wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

My point stands it’s still more than Konami is doing with its IP’s.

oh no doubt about it, Konami just wants to make Pachinko machines now a days, and when they do make an actual game it's with a bad idea in mind (*cough Metal Gear survive, *cough Contra Rogue Corps)
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Not going to lie, I don't want Kojima anywhere near Silent Hill after Death Stranding. I can do without his obsession with Norman Reedus Laughing Castlevania is better left dead too IMO.

Out of all the IPs they have, I'd much rather have new Suikoden or Goemon games myself. I think Nintendo could make some good Goemon games if they ever got that license.
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:21 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Not going to lie, I don't want Kojima anywhere near Silent Hill after Death Stranding. I can do without his obsession with Norman Reedus Laughing Castlevania is better left dead too IMO.

Out of all the IPs they have, I'd much rather have new Suikoden or Goemon games myself. I think Nintendo could make some good Goemon games if they ever got that license.

While I still hate Konami for doing Kojima dirty like that I was not a fan of MGS V or Death Stranding (the latter was way to over hyped for what’s basically a walking sim with a story)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2