• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kageki Shoujo!! (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:51 am Reply with quote

Kageki Shoujo!! (TV)

Genres: drama
Themes: school, shoujo

Plot Summary: Ever since she was a little girl, Sarasa has wanted to play the role of Oscar as part of the Kouka Acting Troupe, an all-female acting troupe similar to the Takarazuka Revue. But before she can do that, she has to attend two years at the Kouka School of Musical and Theatrical Arts. As Sarasa practices singing, dancing, and acting, she grows closer to the other girls in her year, including her roommate, the stoic former J-idol, Ai. Though Sarasa is great at making friends, her outspoken nature and grand ambitions earn her lots of enemies as well.
----------------------------------

Anime adaptation of the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Harsh stuff. We find out the source of Ai-chan's anti-male views and it ain't pretty. Stuck with a Mom who doesn't really care about here and a very dodgy stepfather figure. Thankfully her uncle Taichi is a good guy. Also the body shaming of one of the students was another chunk of unpleasant. That's how eating disorders get created. On the other hand, it seems like Ai-chan's "stalker" might not actually be a bad guy after all - just a socially awkward idol otaku who can't express himself properly.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Teacher makes a big issue out of a teenage girl's weight, singling her out, and is then surprised when that happens to give her an eating disorder. Mad props to the singing teacher, Onodera, for confronting the other teacher for being so insensitive to Ayako, even in the face of not having easy answers to the idea that female performers get put under a lot of scrutiny about their body when professional. Loved the moment when he broke away from what should be allowed by going to door of her room, men apparently not allowed there, he is clearly some level of queer coded. Ayako was someone who needed someone who needed some positive attention, not being told she is fat and then saying that she would get worse attention if she was professional.

Also, I am trying really hard not to read things into the relationship of the main girls.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh...oh gawd. Squick.

So this is why Ai hates men...geeze, this poor girl. Her backstory truly gives you a sickening feeling. BAD TOUCH!

I'm really glad her uncle was there for her. If he hadn't put that lock on her door, she would have been spoiler[molested further.]

Sarasa is still the most likable female character...she's a bit airheaded and childish but very kind obviously means well so I hope others follow her example.

All in all, this is a good show with solid drama but certainly NOT light-hearted....so I can see why others have dropped it. I like this kinda stuff though. I like stories where characters reach out to others and help them through trauma and pain etc.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:57 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 5

Also, I am trying really hard not to read things into the relationship of the main girls.

I really regret giving you those set of yuri goggles for Christmas that one year... Wink
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:24 am Reply with quote
I've only watched five eps...but it feels purely platonic 'girl's friendship' to me so far. There's no blushing or heart-racing or typical shipteasing stuff like that.

I kind of don't like how spoiler[Ayako got over her bulimia so easily. It's really not that simple...if you know anything about real-life cases. Kitchen Princess's manga actually handled this better for showing the physical struggle one goes through even after deciding "I'm not going to do this anymore". Maybe that case was more extreme than Ayako's but her recovery was still too quick. It was a little jarring.]

Still a good show though.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

It is perhaps a sign of my engagement with this show that the thing that most stood out to me about this episode is the fact that, despite supposedly using the umbrella to avoid getting a tan, it wasn't actually blocking the sun from her skin.

I think I just have a hard time seeing this level of effort in order to get on stage to be a serious endeavor. I mean, obviously it's important to them, but it seems downright delusional to me.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:59 am Reply with quote
Poor Kaoru....I don't like her haircut...and I want her first love to work out. Sad

Cool how the ED was changed though?

Quote:
it seems downright delusional to me.

Delusional? You mean they have "unrealistic expectations?" I don't think such a thing like getting on stage is impossible for them...not if they keep working hard to polish their talents.

Sarasa does have to work on not copying other actresses though. That's gonna be difficult for her.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:53 am Reply with quote
I on the other hand like the haircut.
Probably that the blending of gender presentation was always going to be something I would like in this show.
Which was why I was so frustrated by the gendered rules of the respective theatre that were the focus of the previous episode.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:56 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Delusional? You mean they have "unrealistic expectations?" I don't think such a thing like getting on stage is impossible for them...not if they keep working hard to polish their talents.
Right, but if they do that... they just stand on the stage. I mean they're sacrificing everything to achieve a goal that I can't comprehend as being of any value. Like I said, I get that there are people for whom that's a goal, but I haven't really been pulled into that sense of value by the show, so it's all kind of silly to me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:19 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio - given your lack of engagement with the show, I'm surprised you've lasted 8 episodes (so far). Are you a masochist? Wink Presumably you are finding something of value even if it's not the characters ambitions?

By the by, sounds like the twins are next up in the spotlight.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:45 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
Right, but if they do that... they just stand on the stage. I mean they're sacrificing everything to achieve a goal that I can't comprehend as being of any value. Like I said, I get that there are people for whom that's a goal, but I haven't really been pulled into that sense of value by the show, so it's all kind of silly to me.

Well, it's valuable to them "because only the best actresses get to stand there".

It will validate them as "Kouka actresses". Just think of it as a trophy all the competitors want.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:50 am Reply with quote
Dunno. It's still good storytelling, so maybe that's enough, but it's very "in one ear out the other." I'm not invested in anyone's journey, but I can enjoy watching it go by, I guess.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Translation: "I borrowed DuskyPredator's yuri glasses and I'm enjoying shipping alla chix."

I KID, I KID!!! Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Translation: "I borrowed DuskyPredator's yuri glasses and I'm enjoying shipping alla chix."

I was wondering where they were. I had to make do with shipping straight pairings.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2