• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Announcementception

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Do people really think Mother 3 is ever coming out in the west? Laughing It's been all but officially confirmed the reason it never came out here was due to the Magyspies, so unless they get totally censored out in the western release it'll never happen.

My favorite Paper Mario was Super Paper Mario. I was one of the people who was always clamoring for a Super Mario RPG sequel and felt Paper Mario was just a more dumbed down and simpler RPG. But the more platform-y Super Paper Mario was more interesting to me.
DRWii

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Grasshopper being listed for the showcase gives me hope for a No More Heroes III release date. They also quietly mentioned some event related to Moonlight Syndrome for March, but it never happened; assuming this wasn't just to shoot the shit and they actually had a remaster or remake to announce, maybe they'll announce it here.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:40 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Do people really think Mother 3 is ever coming out in the west? Laughing It's been all but officially confirmed the reason it never came out here was due to the Magyspies,

Weird I thought it was because Reggie kept balking at releasing it Razz

DavetheUsher wrote:

My favorite Paper Mario was Super Paper Mario. I was one of the people who was always clamoring for a Super Mario RPG sequel and felt Paper Mario was just a more dumbed down and simpler RPG.

That’s because to an extent it was with the way they decided for whatever reason to have it so you could only use a team of two in battle instead of the standard three, the very limited inventory system where you could only hold like 10-20 items when other RPGs let you hold multiples of 99 items (something I believe SMRPG was also guilty of), and the way Mario’s teammates leveled up.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:40 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Do people really think Mother 3 is ever coming out in the west? Laughing It's been all but officially confirmed the reason it never came out here was due to the Magyspies, so unless they get totally censored out in the western release it'll never happen..

I thought it was because of the music and some of it erring on copyrighted content's toes...
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:11 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, as much as people tend to focus on the things obviously wrong with the combat in Sticker Star and Color Splash (and there's a lot), I always thought it was the dip in writing quality that was the real problem. TYD's quirky scenarios are orders of magnitude more entertaining and its characters orders of magnitude more memorable than anything CS or SS (or the first game or Super Mario RPG, really) had to offer. (Super Paper Mario was, like the original Paper Mario, good but not great.)
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:36 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
I thought it was because of the music and some of it erring on copyrighted content's toes...

That's just an old rumor. People speculated that's why Earthbound was never re-released due to music copyright but then it was released with all the music intact and Nintendo reps said they were unaware of any music rights with the game.

Googling about Mother 3 leads to a Game Informer interview where it's said "a release was full steam ahead for a while but upon re-evaluation there were aspects of the game that weren't going to go without controversy" which could imply the Magypsies although it was never specifically stated. Would make sense though given how often those elements in games lead to outrage among some western groups and censorship like in Persona 5 Royal and Catherine.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:24 pm Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:
That's just an old rumor. People speculated that's why Earthbound was never re-released due to music copyright but then it was released with all the music intact and Nintendo reps said they were unaware of any music rights with the game.

Oh, really? I haven't been keeping up to date with speculation...
I imagine TaneTane island doesn't help matters much...
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:57 am Reply with quote
I love the first Paper Mario, as well as Thousand Year Door. I've been playing the first on my Wii, but I'd love a re-release of both on Switch. It just seems like a given.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:11 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Thousand-Year Door. Haven't had the opportunity to play any of the others.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:29 am Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:
harminia wrote:

Googling about Mother 3 leads to a Game Informer interview where it's said "a release was full steam ahead for a while but upon re-evaluation there were aspects of the game that weren't going to go without controversy" which could imply the Magypsies although it was never specifically stated. Would make sense though given how often those elements in games lead to outrage among some western groups and censorship like in Persona 5 Royal and Catherine.

Western groups kind of suck, don’t they?
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I totally agree with the assessment of Paper Mario in this article.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:33 am Reply with quote
I haven't played a single Paper Mario game -- not that I would mind trying them, but if I do, I'd rather start with the very first one, preferably not on emulation (or an original Snes, since I don't have one.)

Well... that leaves the Switch or the 3DS, basically, but... yeah. ^^;;
Cetais

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:30 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
I haven't played a single Paper Mario game -- not that I would mind trying them, but if I do, I'd rather start with the very first one, preferably not on emulation (or an original Snes, since I don't have one.)

Well... that leaves the Switch or the 3DS, basically, but... yeah. ^^;;

The first one is on N64.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Ack! Sorry, I meant Super Mario RPG.

Which, come to think of it, is a different franchise to the Paper Mario series. That's what I get for being almost entirely out of the Mario loop. =_=
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, I'm not saying people can't be jerks about it, but I feel it's not unreasonable for people to not enjoy the new games when a series begins in a very clear genre with its two first games then randomly switches gears and by the time we got to SS could hardly be called a RPG anymore.

The arguments of "nobody would be satisfied even if they listened to fan complaints" just feels rather presumptuous to me and feels like it's generalizing the opposing side's arguments. If Zelda's next few games became turn-based RPGs, do you think its fanbase would never be happy with a new one that then returned to becoming a action/adventure game? If Kingdom Hearts' next few games became solely platformers with no RPG elements, again do you really think the next game after that going back to an action RPG wouldn't satisfy anyone?

It has nothing to do in my book with expectations being too high. Final Fantasy IX is my favorite video game of all time, yet I mostly enjoyed FFX and was not "disappointed". When XV was my first FF game that did disappoint me, it had nothing to do with the things it did change but rather the (IMHO) lackluster execution in a lot of its elements. Heck, while it did get some initial backlash, most people nowadays consider Resident Evil 5 to be a really good game despite it having the enviable task of following the legendary RE 4. And for that matter, when RE 7 returned to the series' roots of survival horror, most fans were happy and the few complaints towards 7 (Ethan was bland, the enemy variety was low, the final area was a corridor) were separate from the survival horror aspect.

If anything with Paper Mario, I'd think it would be more likely that if it returns to its roots fans might be a little too FORGIVING of any flaws it might have since they'd been so starved for a new entry that more resembles the first two games. Because the new Paper Mario isn't following TTYD, it's coming out after SS and CS which is likely going to make it look better in comparison in their eyes.

If you want to experiment, fine, butI think it's better to keep it within reason and if you're going so far off course that you're practically changing genres then maybe consider, I dunno, just making a new IP? Or at least a separate spin-off series. The argument some fans had was Mario + Luigi was being focused on as Mario's pure RPG series, but now that that series is showing no signs of returning for now that argument is moot.

I am trying to be optimistic about Origami King. There have been leaks suggesting there will be party members in combat, and it's at least practically all but confirmed that you will at least have partners traveling with you in the field and that the combat isn't inventory-only. It is a shame that the cast seems to be mostly the familiar faces, after all if the argument for SS and CS is "experimentation" than what's the deal with the lack of experimentation when it comes to the cast? But I'm not going to be "toxic" if the game turns out to be just mostly SS/CS again. I'll just save my money and move on.

Just please avoid suggesting how I'll ultimately feel about the new game if it were to be more like the first two games. I know you didn't mean offense, but it's always the sort of argument that upsets me as it feels like my opinions are being simplified into reactions that others think they can accurately "predict". It's like when I'm told, "oh, give it a few years, you'll eventually hate the new Star Wars film like the rest of us!" You can't ever know how a different person will react towards or feel about a piece of media.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2